PDA

View Full Version : Your fantasy goal in becoming a pro horseplayer-easy money-big bucks

fishorsechess
07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I was wondering what fantasy goals horseplayers have if they
ever become super successful at handicapping horses. Like
do they imagine a big house, long vacations, blonde wife or
girlfriend. Or making a million dollars a year betting the ponies.
I think it boils down to big bucks , easy money is the dream.
Reality is 6 figs is about the best a pro can ever do.
I remember Jay Bridges once told me he wanted to make 500K a
year but he's under 9 ft of dirt now. So are alot of the dreamer
horseplayers I knew while back.

Overlay
07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
To me, it's enough to support yourself entirely by betting, without mentioning any exact figure (although I realize that anyone could always find a use for more money than they currently have or make). To paraphrase Andy Beyer, making a living off handicapping is accomplishing something that only a very small percentage of horseplayers ever manage. In my opinion, the achievement itself constitutes all the satisfaction needed.

joeyspicks
07-20-2005, 06:40 PM
forget the wild dreams. Just make a profit over a reasonable period of time first.

THEN,....dont get cocky and think you know it all.....cause you dont. Stay in learning mode regardless of your success. And keep doing the fundenmentals that got you that profit ( handicappers are like some salesman I know....they experince some success and then STOP doing the things that got them there!):lol::lol:

And as soon as you think you got it all wired.......this game will HUMBLE you fast!:bang:

Overlay
07-20-2005, 08:41 PM
forget the wild dreams. Just make a profit over a reasonable period of time first.

Point taken. First things first. But, on the other hand, what are fantasies if not wild dreams? (As long as you're dreaming, you might as well aim high!)

NoDayJob
07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
I was wondering what fantasy goals horseplayers have if they ever become super successful at handicapping horses. Like do they imagine a big house, long vacations, blonde wife or girlfriend. Or making a million dollars a year betting the ponies.

:lol: The only thing missing is a couple of blonde mistresses. :lol:

NDJ

hurrikane
07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
give us your dream

LutherCalvin
07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
If I was ever as successful as I dream to be handicapping horses, I would give the profits to charity.

KingChas
07-21-2005, 12:20 AM
give us your dream

Fisher's dream is to have the most posts,the most questions,the most views and the most replies on Pace Advantage.com.PA will you please send him his trophy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
07-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Buy a big house and have an escalator installed.

sealord
07-21-2005, 01:01 AM
I think the idea of making 6 figures while wearing flip-flops to work is about it for me!

hurrikane
07-21-2005, 01:07 AM
I think PA is Fishoschest.

Just trying to bring in the hits for the advertiseres...eh PA :lol:

KingChas
07-21-2005, 01:11 AM

:lol: Maybe your right-PA may be a little board(sic) waiting for the SPA to open! :lol:

hurrikane
07-21-2005, 01:21 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2005, 02:57 AM

I'm not THAT twisted!

dav4463
07-21-2005, 03:07 AM
To be the track handicapper at Beulah Park sitting between the twins !

Hosshead
07-21-2005, 05:37 AM

Don't encourage him. I just counted 12 threads started by him, showing just on page 1, in various catagories. PA should route all his threads into 1 catagory instead of taking over the whole board.
We could have a contest to name the catagory!

joeyspicks
07-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I think Fish is Tom C............keeping us occupied on "other" things:lol: :lol:

osophy_junkie
07-26-2005, 10:59 PM
My goal is to parlay the knowledge and money into a stock market model.

JimG
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
It would be heaven to be able make a decent living without "working".

A good definition of "work", I heard awhile back...if you would rather be doing something else at the time, then you are currently "working".

When I spend time on the races (handicapping, betting, etc.), there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Jim

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
I was wondering what fantasy goals horseplayers have if they ever become super successful at handicapping horses... blonde wife or girlfriend.

When I told a group of guys I'd met at the beer tent that a make selections for a racing newspaper, one of them said, "Gee, I figured you'd be walking around with a blonde under each arm!"

I replied "Unfortunately, the only way you'll see blonde hair under both of my arms is if I dye my armpits yellow!" :D :( :D :blush: :D

Yes, I did get a "Dream Job", but it definitely isn't the glamorous life!

hurrikane
07-27-2005, 02:06 AM
It would be heaven to be able make a decent living without "working".

A good definition of "work", I heard awhile back...if you would rather be doing something else at the time, then you are currently "working".

When I spend time on the races (handicapping, betting, etc.), there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

Jim

How much time do you spend? It's all relative.

Steve,
nice joke on the blonds!

how cliche
07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Dare to dream! I admit I've fallen prey to the dream because of 4 racing based vacations I've taken. 1 to 2 weeks in duration each time. Every time out I've earned at least twice as much as I do at my job. I think it's because of two factors. First I'm able to concentrate more thoroughly, because racing becomes my job for that time period. I take my time and look at every little nuance and possible factor because I'm genuinely concentrating. Second is I'm more patient, because I know I'll have five or six days in a week to find good plays. I don't have to play today, because I'll find a good play or two tomorrow.

My favorite example of vacation based concentration in action happened in September '02. I was simulcasting BM and I noted that Lloyd Mason and Jose Arriaga had won two races on two consecutive days to open the meet together at big prices. I decided it was a worthwhile gamble to play a game with myself & those two. I'd bet $40 to win each time they paired up until they were defeated. One defeat and the game ends. To make a long story short they won 4 more races in a row, all 11-1 or better & the first winner was 50-1! Had I been working, their seasonal surge would've slipped under my radar. I'm almost certain of it.

There's problems with working a demanding job and being a serious horseplayer. I find myself being knocked out from my job so when it comes time to examine a day's card I become too lazy and sometimes let things fall through the cracks. It takes a lot of energy for me to pick winners. Don't get me wrong, it's a labor of love, but it's labor nonetheless. My best picks are when I've followed a horse, sometimes for up to five months, waiting for the right day. Other good picks can be made by reviewing pp's on race day. To make those however, I need to dedicate a lot of time. Often times I'm too lazy to do it as well as I'm capable of.

kingfin66
07-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Another excellent post by How Cliche. I know for a fact that he really follows those horses for a long time waiting for the bet. I think the part about being rested while handicapping is extremely important. If you start going through the motions, you can easily fall into bad habits. This, in turn, results in slumps. Slumps beget scared handicapping and so on....

cnollfan
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
My best picks are when I've followed a horse, sometimes for up to five months, waiting for the right day.

Very interesting. My racetrack buddies think it's something of a joke that my Virtual Stable is busting at the seams.

One such horse for me is Wheatland Road, running in the fourth at Arlington today. She caught my eye in her first start last fall when she was shut off in the stretch. Her second start she made a gigantic wide move (the Hawthorne chart caller said something like "no factor" -- I complained about the comment to Equibase and they changed it). This is her first start in a maiden claiming grass race. This could be the spot.