PDA

View Full Version : Failure shouldn't be an option, say teachers

Dave Schwartz
07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1531762,00.html

Failure shouldn't be an option in class, say teachers

Great, just great. So what the little cherubs will learn is that failure isn't failure as long as we call it something else.

What is wrong with these people? Has the world gone completely nuts?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

speculus
07-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Dave,

I knew it was coming--something like this!

The proponents of positive thinking and positive imagery were bound to get carried away given the free laudatory publicity they have got.

Last two (or more?) generations have seen an abnormal rise in the number of books/tapes/material not always being spawned by the best thinking brains.

The educationists had contracted the disease long back, now it has only assumed ridiculous proportions.

But I think the worst offenders have been advertising copywriters who very subtly made use of the priniciple. Fortunately or unfortunately, we are living in an era where smart advertising copywriters have created a whole new world out of euphemisms.

We chuckled when they replaced 'cheap' with economical, 'low-priced' with affordable, and 'middle-class' with upwardly mobile.

Even we, handicappers, are guilty of the same sin. We risk money on an uncertain future event, still we don't want to be called gamblers, we are speculators, we say. Some of us even go to the extent of calling themselves investors!

Then why pick bone with the educationists?

BIG RED
07-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Educationists? What, no more 'teachers' ? Give me a break.

speculus
07-20-2005, 04:30 AM
LOL! I realised it, but too late. The edit button had vanished by that time.

chickenhead
07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
"Little Johnny, do you have your homework?"

"I have deferred it's completion for the time being"

"Oh, why that's perfectly understandable! You were probably busy"

"Yeah, I was watching MTV Cribs...."

Steve 'StatMan'
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
From the article: 'deferred success'

Delayed Success?!!! I can't see using that term until after they finally achieve success. "Still in progress?" Perhaps. "Not Ready Yet?" Fine. "Status Delayed." more accuarte, but probably too rough if "failure" is going to be considered too strong. "On hold pending completion", Fine.

Maybe not more asuming kids will get graduate every year would help. Might be more helpful to move them along separately as they master different skills.

Egads. Are the students who get C's in school becoming educators? Are the kids that got A's in school and become teachers so out of touch with the realities of the average kids and don't understand how other kids learn when it doesn't come naturally like it did for the teacher when they were young?

And I should talk? I've got to get back to my job - handicapping the races! :cool:

chickenhead
07-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe they can make a new addition to the best or most likely list at the end of the year...

Best Athlete: Marvin Holmes
Most Likely to Become Famous: Eddie Wilkes
Biggest Defferred Success: Billy Bob Snaggletooth

won't Mr and Mrs Snaggletooth be so proud...

Secretariat
07-20-2005, 01:48 PM
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1531762,00.html

Failure shouldn't be an option in class, say teachers

Great, just great. So what the little cherubs will learn is that failure isn't failure as long as we call it something else.

What is wrong with these people? Has the world gone completely nuts?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

lol..when i miss a race i haven't failed, it is just deferred success....hey, I feel better already..except I'm sill out my bet....that's OK....I'm still a success...

What a crock...whatever happened to we learn through our failures....who are these dimwits?

NoDayJob
07-20-2005, 02:15 PM
:lol: Make up some Horse-$h!t and call it the "Woo-Woo Factor" and everyone buys into it, just like "Ebonics". Just wait 'til they get into the real world and get their butts kicked. WOO-WOO :lol:

NDJ

Pace Cap'n
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Educating the students has not been the intent of the public school system for quite some time.

The goal is to produce compliant citizens.

(See Floyd, Pink--The Wall)

Tom
07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
In NYS, you only need 55% to pass regents!

Yikes.
The "teachers" unioins should be ashamed of themselves. Today's schools are breeding grounds for stupidity. Students should be ridiculed for being failures, not rewarded.

No more diplomas - here's your sign.

JustRalph
07-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Educating the students has not been the intent of the public school system for quite some time.

The goal is to produce compliant citizens.

(See Floyd, Pink--The Wall)

Police and Teachers have one goal nowadays. Get to retirement without getting killed by a lawsuit. Nothing else matters. No justice, No kids, nothing else matters. Oh yeah...........except for taking summers off.

Tom
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
So Ralphie-boy.....hehehe.
What you are saying is that all they want to do is......moveon(.org)?
:D

boxcar
07-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Befuddled Secretariat inquires:

What a crock...whatever happened to we learn through our failures....who are these dimwits?

Fellow Liberals, Sec.

Boxcar
P.S. Here's another clue: It's all part of the dumbing-down process.