PDA

View Full Version : Why $2 ?

Tuffmug
05-14-2001, 10:32 AM
Just read Steve Christ's column bitchin' bout California tracks listing payouts for $1 instead of traditional $2. Personally I like $1 payout info and wish all bets were listed this way.

Why was payout traditionally based on $2 bet in the first place? Anybody know why?

Figman
05-14-2001, 12:19 PM
The two dollar payoff was standardized in the 1940's as there were just four wagers available; win (or straight), place, show & daily double (on the first two races only). The minimum wager was two dollars with no dollar wagering allowed. Therefore, "it was the right thing to do" in displaying all pari-mutuel payoffs based on the base two dollar wager.

Aussieplayer
05-14-2001, 07:26 PM
I'd find it annoying! We have ours expressed as $1 bets and the minimum bet is actually 50 cents!!! Which in current exchange rate terms is 25 cents to you guys!!!!

Now of course you're not going to worry about 50 cents, but it means that rather than a $2, or even $1 trifecta ticket, you can actually play a half dollar ticket.

As I understand it, the cost for you guys for a box 4 trifecta (not that you'd ever box, lol) is $48, or $24 for a $1 - we can do it for $12 (which is only $6 in your terms!).

Yet it seems that our pool sizes are bigger than yours - at least on the minor tracks, if I've read some of the posts correctly

Regards
Aussieplayer

05-15-2001, 08:07 AM
For anyone who has a db and keeps results with the payoff information, having tracks that use different payoff amounts is a real pain. This is one thing the the NTRA should standardize, all tracks should use the same payoff scheme regardless of the min wager amount.

Along the same lines I wish the US tracks would take a lesson from you guys down under and lower the min wager amount on exoctics to any amount you want to wager.

Lets say I wager a fixed $20 on a 5 horse super box normal cost on a $1 wager is $120. If it hit I would win a % of the pool based on my wager.

I think this would do more to generate new fan interest in racing then all of the NTRA promotions combined.

It would be fun to go the the track with a couple of hundred play all kinds of combinations and share in the excitement if a boxcar winner comes in and you have a piece of the super.

ceejay
05-15-2001, 10:10 AM
I've never figured out why most Pick6 bets require $2 whereas P3/P4 are usually $1. I would play many more pick 6 pools with $1 wagers allowed.

I agree, though that payoff basis should be standard.