PDA

View Full Version : Who will Bush nominate to Supreme court tonight?

Secretariat
07-19-2005, 05:49 PM
My guess:

Fred Thompson

JustRalph
07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
My guess:

Fred Thompson

very funny ..........but I would go for it..............

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/gen/resources/players/thompson/thompson.jpg

lsbets
07-19-2005, 06:36 PM
I think Fred might be interested in another job in a few years.

JustRalph
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I think Fred might be interested in another job in a few years.

Excellent observation. I met him for a second. he was shaking hands at a Nascar race. My favorite role from him was in "The Hunt for Red October"

Played the Carrier Commander. I would have to vote for anybody who has slept with Lori Morgan..........;)

lsbets
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
He would be a great candidate, I don't know enough about him to say if he would be a great pres.

Suff
07-19-2005, 07:54 PM
He would be a great candidate, I don't know enough about him to say if he would be a great pres.

I'm tired of these Hollywood types thinking they represent America.

lsbets
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM

My guess is you think you are some sort of profound thinker who makes great points.

JustRalph
07-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Fred Thompson is a Tennesee boy with smarts.............

I was watching CBS when John Roberts of Cbs news broke in with a Special Report to announce that "John Roberts" had been nominated by Bush????

Man that was weird..............

Suff
07-19-2005, 08:09 PM
My guess is you think you are some sort of profound thinker who makes great points.

My guess is you need a drink or three. Its a Joke....a double end around using your materail. get with the program.

Total aside... If I post numbers and facts...and it bothers you... Take it out on the numbers and facts.

Suff
07-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Fred Thompson is a Tennesee boy with smarts.............

I was watching CBS when John Roberts of Cbs news broke in with a Special Report to announce that "John Roberts" had been nominated by Bush????

Man that was weird..............

100% chance of Fillibuster.

His signature is on a Court Brief stating Abortion is illegal.

Toast.

lsbets
07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
My guess is you need a drink or three. Its a Joke....a double end around using your materail. get with the program.

Total aside... If I post numbers and facts...and it bothers you... Take it out on the numbers and facts.

Numbers and facts - hardly. You think way too much of yourself Suff. What bothers me is you seem to be a very hateful, angry man in need of some counseling.

Suff
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Numbers and facts - hardly. You think way too much of yourself Suff. What bothers me is you seem to be a very hateful, angry man in need of some counseling.

Why would that bother you?

Listen... your not reading things they way they're typed, that's all I can tell you.

I have no clue what your talking about...and I don't want to get into it. It doesn't sound right.

Secretariat
07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Think I would have preferred Thompson. JR, I met Thompson once too. One of the nicest Repubs I ever met.

Roberts is gonna be controversial.

His opinion on Roe v Wade

"The court's conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion ... finds no support in the text, structure or history of the Constitution. . ."

While working with the Solicitor General's office, Mr. Roberts co-wrote an amicus brief on behalf of the Bush administration, in which he argued that public high schools can include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs, a view the Supreme Court rejected.7

He's only been a judge for 2 years. Aren't there any conservatives who have more experience? Typical repub, big business pro-corp lawyer, anti-abortion, religion in school kind of guy...no big surprise...not sure why this was broadcast..now every pres is gonna interrupt my shows with PR...

lsbets
07-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Sec,

let's give the guy a fair look - I know nothing about him, but if you pulled your quote about Roe v. Wade from Yahoo, you should have included the next paragraph. Here's the text from yahoo about Roe:

"Liberal groups, however, say Roberts has taken positions in cases involving free speech and religious liberty that endanger those rights. Abortion rights groups allege that Roberts is hostile to women's reproductive freedom and cite a brief he co-wrote in 1990 that suggested the Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 high court decision that legalized abortion.

"The court's conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion ... finds no support in the text, structure or history of the Constitution," the brief said.

In his defense, Roberts told senators during his 2003 confirmation hearing that he would be guided by legal precedent. "Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent."

A lot of conservative people feel that Roe was decided over 30 years ago and is now the law, regardless of whether or not the origional decision was right (it wasn't, it sucked). That seams to be what he was saying when you look at the totality of his remarks.

Also, there are a couple of justices on the court who had very little in terms of judicial records before their nomination to the court who did not turn out to be nearly as conservative (if at all) as people thought they would be.

boxcar
07-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Secretariat wrote:

Roberts is gonna be controversial.

Only to Liberals.

His opinion on Roe v Wade

"The court's conclusion in Roe that there is a fundamental right to an abortion ... finds no support in the text, structure or history of the Constitution. . ."

If in fact he said this, It just so happens that he made an extremely accurate observation. Instead of whining and complaining so early in the game, why don't YOU do your homework and see if YOU can refute Roberts by finding "support in the text, structure or history of the Constititition". Then get back to us poor misguided, unwashed, uneducated, ignorant conservative masses.

While working with the Solicitor General's office, Mr. Roberts co-wrote an amicus brief on behalf of the Bush administration, in which he argued that public high schools can include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs, a view the Supreme Court rejected.

Another very bad SC decision; for if the court had allowed public high schools to include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs would have in no way constituted an "establishment of religion by Congress".

He's only been a judge for 2 years. Aren't there any conservatives who have more experience?

His superb scholastic accomplishments and record more than offset his "lack" of experience.

Typical repub, big business pro-corp lawyer, anti-abortion, religion in school kind of guy...no big surprise...not sure why this was broadcast..now every pres is gonna interrupt my shows with PR...

What happened, Sec: Did you miss a profound episode of Sex in the City? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Kreed
07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I know nada about 43's pick, but he's a JR -- and isn't that telling? And,
is obsessed with the letter "J" --- as in his kids, John & Josephine (can
naming a girl Josephine be child abuse?) --- and how did he pick his wife,
Jane, now isn't that telling? I can overlook all that stuff, but I'll never get
use to a hair do that sits like a brown fried egg. Now isn't that telling?
More seriously, I never heard of this guy before, and I def wanna know more
about John Jr, and YES, he might even be great in a black robe.

46zilzal
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
nominated fellow seems to have good credentials...let's see what happens.

Only problem with all of this: LIFE TIME APPOINTMENT. What if someone became a SCIENTOLOGIST or something? You could NEVER get them out of there.

BOTTOM line: these guys were all lawyers making them much akin to prostitutes: will do anything or promote/oppose anything for money.

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2005, 11:46 AM
So? Neither does the right to online gambling.
Both Clintons decided TVs in private homes can be required to have V-chips- But I never read that in the Federalist Papers either!
Guessikng at things there is no record on is still guessing no matter what the imagination dreams up.
The record is clear- after Conservatives get on the bench they get more liberal on social issues and the bench is usually in favor of more Fed Govt control by Neocon and SoLib justices. Live with it. I have to.

Bobby
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Josephine - that is child abuse

Rather be this guy than alberto gonzalez - what a tool.

Bobby
07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Perhaps Roberts will turn out like Souter, since he's a stealth choice per conservative hack Ann Coulter

I got the feeling he's of the Scalia mold though.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3acj.htm