PDA

View Full Version : what gives here

skate
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
up till about 1 year or 2 back, i thought the Lone Star track had a great direction. im referencing the good fields and payouts.

so now im not surprised at a drop at the park.(payouts have been sad) seems as if tracks go in and out of this sort of trend and soon after i get comfortable... bingo they make adjustments and cut the fields.

i do think that phila and del pks are about to come out of the small field business, neither of which ive ever played, till now.

see what happens

ceejay
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Ownership and events work against Lone Star
By Gary West
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/horse_racing/12167798.htm

The season that concluded Sunday was by any measure the worst in Lone Star Park's brief history. The quality of racing provided occasional relief to insomniacs; the handle and attendance numbers tumbled down in an avalanche; the racing surface drove both horsemen and horseplayers mad; and even the horses themselves got sick. If Lone Star had any chance, any chance at all, to compete this past year and have a good season, Magna Entertainment flushed it. With its bungling in California and Florida, the company has raised questions about its ability to manage.

But Magna answered those questions at Lone Star. The track had been one of the sport's success stories. Lone Star was the exemplar, the track where large crowds had fun and where the atmosphere always crackled.

Well, since Magna purchased the track in 2002, Lone Star attendance has dropped 22.44 percent and handle has declined 16.71 percent

cnollfan
07-19-2005, 10:34 PM
I missed Michael Wrona, too.

dav4463
07-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Magna puts no money into advertising. They took away Norm Hitzges parties in the park for the Ticket radio station which were a lot of fun. The monitors are old, half of them do not work anymore. They took away a lot of space by putting in a stupid slot machine style betting room that makes your picks for you and..............I miss Michael Wrona too !