PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping in the war room.

twindouble
07-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Well it doesn't beat being at the track but it at least breaks up the boredom of computer gambling. Yes, it can even be boring when your on a winning streak, for me anyway. Heck, I can make a score and when I tell the wife she'll say, "that's nice." When she does, it's a major event. LOL. I sit here sometimes just waiting for her to win so I watch all the antics she goes though, like dancing around the room and blurting out all the reasons she liked the horses.

I can remember being at the track and giving out a horse that I concidered my best bet for the day, thinking he might go off at 12 to 15-1. Well, he paid $136 to win with a monster ex and tri. My celebrity didn't ware off for week or so. Not in the war room, wes picked a $124 horse to win, not with 3 or 4 horses but just that one to win. Sure we give him some congrads but that went to the back burner and off to the next race. Others have come up with some good ones as well, I even bet one of Bill's exacta's that paid $100, that was just gut feeling because he sat out so many races. What the heck, gamble a little on the guy next to you. :)

Anyway, the war room can move fast even with just 2 or 3 guys throwing their picks out at different tracks, I think I would enjoy it more if I had time to handicap ahead of time but I've been busy lately. That way I could pay more attention to what's going on, unless the track goes from fast to muddy.

When it came to the DRF forum the only time you got opinions on a race was just the major stake races, otherwise it was, I like the 3,5,7 or the horses name, no reason why they like the horse. In the war room there's no time do that. So, with DRF forum I connected with a couple via e-mail, answered questions and got on the same page when it came to the tracks, that way we could say why we liked the horses and break the races down. Well I didn't realize what I was getting into, between my buddies sending e-mail, instant messages and keeping up with my forum friends it almost came to a full time job. LOL. Not that I'm the major attraction mind you, it's just the need to connect with others. It can be hectic but I'm still hanging in with some of them. Less now because I'm back to work for awhile and that's where I'm headed now. Yes, I'm boss so I can pick my hrs. :)

Good luck,

T.D.

the little guy
07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
When it came to the DRF forum the only time you got opinions on a race was just the major stake races, otherwise it was, I like the 3,5,7 or the horses name, no reason why they like the horse.
Really Twin, is that so? Frankly, I can hardly remember you giving out selections at DRF, save maybe the Derby, and other than that race, you had no valuable insights about any particular horse or horses you seemed to like.

And, I guess my extensive posts about why I liked horses, ones you seemed to follow pretty intently, as I recall, were forgotten in your latest " oh this place is so much better than the DRF Forum " post.

GMB@BP
07-18-2005, 12:08 PM
That is completely bogus, there were several people, including myself that gave detailed explanations on why we like horses. Whats funny is you are talking about how nice it is to be able to just throw out picks in the war room with little to no handicapping yet are complaining when people did the same on the drf forum. what is the agenda?

Well it doesn't beat being at the track but it at least breaks up the boredom of computer gambling. Yes, it can even be boring when your on a winning streak, for me anyway. Heck, I can make a score and when I tell the wife she'll say, "that's nice." When she does, it's a major event. LOL. I sit here sometimes just waiting for her to win so I watch all the antics she goes though, like dancing around the room and blurting out all the reasons she liked the horses.

I can remember being at the track and giving out a horse that I concidered my best bet for the day, thinking he might go off at 12 to 15-1. Well, he paid $136 to win with a monster ex and tri. My celebrity didn't ware off for week or so. Not in the war room, wes picked a $124 horse to win, not with 3 or 4 horses but just that one to win. Sure we give him some congrads but that went to the back burner and off to the next race. Others have come up with some good ones as well, I even bet one of Bill's exacta's that paid $100, that was just gut feeling because he sat out so many races. What the heck, gamble a little on the guy next to you. :)

Anyway, the war room can move fast even with just 2 or 3 guys throwing their picks out at different tracks, I think I would enjoy it more if I had time to handicap ahead of time but I've been busy lately. That way I could pay more attention to what's going on, unless the track goes from fast to muddy.

When it came to the DRF forum the only time you got opinions on a race was just the major stake races, otherwise it was, I like the 3,5,7 or the horses name, no reason why they like the horse. In the war room there's no time do that. So, with DRF forum I connected with a couple via e-mail, answered questions and got on the same page when it came to the tracks, that way we could say why we liked the horses and break the races down. Well I didn't realize what I was getting into, between my buddies sending e-mail, instant messages and keeping up with my forum friends it almost came to a full time job. LOL. Not that I'm the major attraction mind you, it's just the need to connect with others. It can be hectic but I'm still hanging in with some of them. Less now because I'm back to work for awhile and that's where I'm headed now. Yes, I'm boss so I can pick my hrs. :)

Good luck,

T.D.

twindouble
07-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Really Twin, is that so? Frankly, I can hardly remember you giving out selections at DRF, save maybe the Derby, and other than that race, you had no valuable insights about any particular horse or horses you seemed to like.

And, I guess my extensive posts about why I liked horses, ones you seemed to follow pretty intently, as I recall, were forgotten in your latest " oh this place is so much better than the DRF Forum " post.

Andy, if this is some attempt to cut me off at the knees here on this forum, it won't work, I don't have to defend myself in anyway when it comes to handicapping or picking horses, my displeasure with DRF forum had nothing to do with you so why make it an issue. You see, it don't matter to me who's the best handicapper but I do as you know give credit where credit is due. To infer to anyone that I don't know how to pick horses is a hit below the belt. I'm sure as heck not going to line up people that that know me well enough to dispute that. Not only that, my position on the forum has always been to give advice not show my handicapping abilitys, my ego isn't that big and will never be. To say I '' pretty intently," followed your picks is a stretch, all I did was support you like I would any other ( good ) handicapper that I respected.

If it makes you feel good to put a damper on what I'm doing here, so be it. These people here are smart enough to make up their own minds about me and I'm not the least bit concerned about it.

Good luck,

T.D

midnight
07-18-2005, 12:29 PM
So who has the biggest pee pee here?

twindouble
07-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Midnight;

Here again, if you think you can draw me into a petty bull arguement, forget it. It didn't work on the DRF forum and it won't work now. I won't be party to giving this forum a bad name.

the little guy
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I was merely pointing out the hypocracy of your comments as they related to the DRF Forum.

Your posting here will speak for itself, and no poster will " put a damper on what you are doing here ", but that does not preclude someone from pointing out the truth. Are you honestly going to tell me that you offered frequent and specific analyses of races on the DRF Forum?

kenwoodallpromos
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Twin, TLG said nothing concerning your ability to pick horses. You can't force some people to explain their picks if they do not want to. That is why I rarely check the "selections" threads.
But as far as I remeber, even if I disagree with TLG on a subject, he usually explains what his reasoning is for what he says here at PA.
I never used DRF forum.

twindouble
07-18-2005, 01:31 PM
I was merely pointing out the hypocracy of your comments as they related to the DRF Forum.

Your posting here will speak for itself, and no poster will " put a damper on what you are doing here ", but that does not preclude someone from pointing out the truth. Are you honestly going to tell me that you offered frequent and specific analyses of races on the DRF Forum?

Read my answer to Midnight; I'll leave it at that.

andicap
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Read my answer to Midnight; I'll leave it at that.

I used to go into the War Room all the time a few months ago, but it seems lately that many of the old veterans don't hang out there anymore. Never seems crowded in the primetime of Wed-Fri afternoon --
WR is fun -- and closest thing to hanging out with friends at the track/simulcast while being alone at home.
Not a lot of trash talk when I was in there -- friendly stuff maybe, but nothing serious that you would see on other boards. And people were genuinely happy when you hit a big one. (as long as you pre-posted it of course.)

twindouble
07-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Twin, TLG said nothing concerning your ability to pick horses. You can't force some people to explain their picks if they do not want to. That is why I rarely check the "selections" threads.
But as far as I remeber, even if I disagree with TLG on a subject, he usually explains what his reasoning is for what he says here at PA.
I never used DRF forum.

I didn't come here to bad mouth DRF forum as a matter of fact I was kind to them, at least I thought so. I can stand my ground with anyone but I'm not one to get into and intellectual word fight for the sake of protecting my ego, I would lose that battle straight up anyway. Here are some words that I never used on the any forum and I won't here.

Dumb ass, crazy, stupid, ludicrous, moron, moronic, down right stupid, insane, borders on insanity, hypocrite, mundane, dumbest thing anyone has said, pathetic, beyond pathetic, idiot, idiotic, obsurd, rediculous, retarded. Just about every concivable word that would put someone down, now if you want to call that in depth analyses, only a fool would participate.

toetoe
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
TD vs. tlg. It's like Don vs. Mike. Don't make me choose, forum gods. Then if Kreed jumps in, it may hasten the arrival of the Apocalypse.

twindouble
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
TD vs. tlg. It's like Don vs. Mike. Don't make me choose, forum gods. Then if Kreed jumps in, it may hasten the arrival of the Apocalypse.

toetoe; I've got have mind to delete the thread if i could, can I? Anything I posted on the DRF forum that brought out the attack dogs, I just deleted it and I did that more than once. Shoot, I'd would have had to use a thesaurus along with a dictionary to cover every possable meaning so there wouldn't be any misundersanding now or in the historical archives because someone would go back and dig it up to support any arguement going on. Sick in my opinion.

toetoe
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Let me just continue my contortionist's act as I:

1) straddle the fence;

2) kiss two derrieres at once;

3) well, I forgot the third, but I just flew in from the coast, so you can imagine how rubbery my arms feel, too.

Bear with me, as usual, while I explain how we're all in your position, at some point. Of the four types of people in life, namely, those who hate you for the right reason, those who hate you for the wrong reason, ... love ... right reason, and ... love ... wrong reason, ... (pause for major inhalation of air ... ok) ... you, my friend, as everyone else, need only fear the first group. The well-reasoned lovers become your near and dear, maybe for life, and that's what it's all about. The philistines that love or hate with jerky knees or out-of-control crotches -- well, they're running in a race we will just have to ignore.

Now, at the risk of sounding harsh, and to nail down the point, I'll say that tlg "hates" you for the right reason. That's fine, you know each other a bit. But for the vast majority of the 8 billion people on earth, we're strangers just hoping to get acquainted. So, while believing tlg, I can still like your post, and remind all that if we had to rehash all our miscues all the time, we'd be walking around with our chins on the ground and serious personality problems. Besides, I play that crucial role MYSELF, recalling almost all my failures and bad decisions, and "hating" myself for them.

Light
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Posts are allways vulnerable to attack. I have attacked and been attacked. Goes with the territory. With experience,I've become more aware of impending attacks and feel more adept at nipping them in the bud. If you're married,you'll quickly develop those skills.

JustRalph
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
If you're married,you'll quickly develop those skills.

Only if you married the wrong one.............;)

BIG RED
07-18-2005, 04:39 PM
............or more than one :lol:

joeyspicks
07-18-2005, 05:08 PM
LOL :lol: :lol: :faint: :faint: :faint:

have to admit I REALLY dont know how serious this IS.....but I did get a good laugh... ( especially LIGHT'S comment:lol: )

Macdiarmadillo
07-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Just Ralph:
Only if you married the wrong one............

Now you started something. I can see somebody posting "Which country's mail order brides are the best handicappers? I have to know by TOMORROW!"

JustRalph
07-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Now you started something. I can see somebody posting "Which country's mail order brides are the best handicappers? I have to know by TOMORROW!"

I like this site.........

http://www.womenbehindbars.com/

take your pick..........http://www.womenbehindbars.com/nl/w40408.html

The Equisim guys used to get together and do a chat room. It was damn fun. Seven of us took about 20k out of the pool at Sam Houston one night, in the feature on the turf. Equisim loved a first time turfer (if memory serves) and he wired the field at about 30-1. I wish I had more time to participate here at the PA War Room. The times I have participated, have been very enjoyable.

the little guy
07-18-2005, 07:09 PM
You are 100% wrong. I like Twin, and have been friendly with him for quite a while. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts. That however is irrelevent.

I'm not interested in carrying on this silly dispute, but one thing worth pointing out, and even Twin will have no problem agreeing with this, there have been occasions where, at DRF, he has jumped on me only to realize he completely misinterpreted what I said. Hey, I happen to agree that the DRF Forum has become an unmanagable free-for-all, and I am most likely done posting there, however I didn't think it was at all relevent to post that here.

I just found it hypocritical that he was knocking the DRF Forum for something he was guilty of. How he jumped from that to deciding I was trying to destroy his credibility is beyond me.

We all bear a certain amount of responsibility for what we post, and it is only fair that we at least give some credit to people who question what we say, and allow ourselves a little give and take.

twindouble
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Let me just continue my contortionist's act as I:

1) straddle the fence;

2) kiss two derrieres at once;

3) well, I forgot the third, but I just flew in from the coast, so you can imagine how rubbery my arms feel, too.

Bear with me, as usual, while I explain how we're all in your position, at some point. Of the four types of people in life, namely, those who hate you for the right reason, those who hate you for the wrong reason, ... love ... right reason, and ... love ... wrong reason, ... (pause for major inhalation of air ... ok) ... you, my friend, as everyone else, need only fear the first group. The well-reasoned lovers become your near and dear, maybe for life, and that's what it's all about. The philistines that love or hate with jerky knees or out-of-control crotches -- well, they're running in a race we will just have to ignore.

Now, at the risk of sounding harsh, and to nail down the point, I'll say that tlg "hates" you for the right reason. That's fine, you know each other a bit. But for the vast majority of the 8 billion people on earth, we're strangers just hoping to get acquainted. So, while believing tlg, I can still like your post, and remind all that if we had to rehash all our miscues all the time, we'd be walking around with our chins on the ground and serious personality problems. Besides, I play that crucial role MYSELF, recalling almost all my failures and bad decisions, and "hating" myself for them.

toetoe; Took me a couple reads to digest the above. Very profound indeed.

Thanks

twindouble
07-19-2005, 12:00 AM
You are 100% wrong. I like Twin, and have been friendly with him for quite a while. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he posts. That however is irrelevent.

I'm not interested in carrying on this silly dispute, but one thing worth pointing out, and even Twin will have no problem agreeing with this, there have been occasions where, at DRF, he has jumped on me only to realize he completely misinterpreted what I said. Hey, I happen to agree that the DRF Forum has become an unmanagable free-for-all, and I am most likely done posting there, however I didn't think it was at all relevent to post that here.

I just found it hypocritical that he was knocking the DRF Forum for something he was guilty of. How he jumped from that to deciding I was trying to destroy his credibility is beyond me.

We all bear a certain amount of responsibility for what we post, and it is only fair that we at least give some credit to people who question what we say, and allow ourselves a little give and take.

After some thought I'll except what you had to say on the above, not that I'm not slightly offended with the third paragraph, I just wouldn't want it go beyond the point of no return. Besides, I'm still looking forward to Saratoga.

toetoe
07-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Exceedingly strange sequence --- instantaneous birth of a gist of an idea, followed by the excruciating process of trying to express a reasonable facsimile thereof, complicated by a rush of new ideas occurring during the telling; kinda like finding dozens of definitions on the way to that one word being sought in the dictionary. Also, I'm the opposite of the "published" guys. I cringe at every post, which, after hundreds of posts, makes for a lot of cringing (soft 'g').

twindouble
07-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Exceedingly strange sequence --- instantaneous birth of a gist of an idea, followed by the excruciating process of trying to express a reasonable facsimile thereof, complicated by a rush of new ideas occurring during the telling; kinda like finding dozens of definitions on the way to that one word being sought in the dictionary. Also, I'm the opposite of the "published" guys. I cringe at every post, which, after hundreds of posts, makes for a lot of cringing (soft 'g').

toetoe; No it wasn't excruciating for me at all. I can bury the hachet as fast as I can jump the gun as tlg pointed out. Anyway I still enjoyed reading it.

midnight
07-19-2005, 01:36 AM
How he jumped from that to deciding I was trying to destroy his credibility is beyond me.

Same way, I'd imagine that he assumed that I was talking directly to him when I was actually addressing the flames I'd seen to that point. It's called 'selective vision'.

BIG RED
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM

Wow, I'm still not impressed with the linguistic form. HAND

toetoe
07-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Form, schmorm. Is hand like 'talk to the hand?' Yer form is irrelevant to me, but explain, please.

BIG RED
07-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Linguistic form, look it up! Thought you would catch that

twindouble
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Same way, I'd imagine that he assumed that I was talking directly to him when I was actually addressing the flames I'd seen to that point. It's called 'selective vision'.

midnight; You got that right, sorry about that. I just don't want to bring any controversy to this forum, if I'm a party to it I'll leave you guys in peace. TLG was right in a way, I shouldn't have brought up the DRF forum but I didn't see any out because I am who I am and I used the same handle there. The subject would have come up anyway. I hope it's at it's end so I can get on doing what I enjoy, that's talking horses.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
TLG was right in a way, I shouldn't have brought up the DRF forum but I didn't see any out because I am who I am and I used the same handle there.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd never heard of you before you came here...LOL

(just kidding)

twindouble
07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I'd never heard of you before you came here...LOL

(just kidding)

LOL; The only popularity contest I was ever interested in was with the woman. Can you blame me. :cool: It's all history, even the smoking is a turn off.

JimG
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
The Equisim guys used to get together and do a chat room. It was damn fun. Seven of us took about 20k out of the pool at Sam Houston one night, in the feature on the turf. Equisim loved a first time turfer (if memory serves) and he wired the field at about 30-1. I wish I had more time to participate here at the PA War Room. The times I have participated, have been very enjoyable.

I remember it was an 11 horse and he went gate to wire, opened up a huge lead around the far turn and held on for a neck to win. I recall Nathan, you, and I being very happy about that.:D

Jim

toetoe
07-19-2005, 01:19 PM
TDub, I am so stumped now, I'm in danger of hijacking the thread to ask a million times, "What do you mean?"

twindouble
07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
TDub, I am so stumped now, I'm in danger of hijacking the thread to ask a million times, "What do you mean?"

toetoe; Is that me your refering to,( TDub.) ? If it is, don't matter to me what's posted, jokes, poetry, philosophy and so on. I'll let the moderator deside what's acceptable.

toetoe
07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Okay, but what does linguistic form refer to? A forked tongue, some other literal shape, or what?

twindouble
07-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Okay, but what does linguistic form refer to? A forked tongue, some other literal shape, or what?

Sorry toetoe, your asking the wrong guy when it comes things like that. I struggle just to post what I do. My guess would be it's a style of writing that takes time to adjust to and understand it's meaning.

toetoe
07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Darn, I'll just have to look it up. But first, my favorite subject --- lady's dress.

Light
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
lady's dress? What a drag......queen.

toetoe
07-19-2005, 08:48 PM
O.K., Light, aka Goose. Goose At Fifty won at the fair and now you're insufferabler than ever. When's Teresa's Tizzy running again?

Light
07-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Get a job

BIG RED
07-19-2005, 10:27 PM

It wasn't meant to insult toetoe, that's why I stated thought you caught it.

Linguistic form: a meaningful unit of speech, as a morpheme, word, phrase, sentence, etc.

twindouble
07-19-2005, 11:00 PM
It wasn't meant to insult toetoe, that's why I stated thought you caught it.

Linguistic form: a meaningful unit of speech, as a morpheme, word, phrase, sentence, etc.

Big Red, I was close with my guess, right?