PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping at the track!

joeyspicks
07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Using the computer and internet has many, many, advantages when handicapping and playing from home. Among many things its cheaper, less distractions, and the "ride home" is quicker:D !

Have you found circumstances where handicapping at the track was MORE profitable ???

For example:

When I used to go to Suffolk Downs 4-5 times per week I had one advantage that I cant seem to match from home. At the Suffolk tele-theatre where I normally did my capping I sat next to an older guy I got friendly with. His name is Joe also and he was a damn good handicapper. What he also did was keep detailed notes on every Suffolk race. Horses to watch, dead rail notes, early speed only, etc etc. Anyway we discovered that when I liked a horse using my method of speed/pace handicapping and he liked him because of his "notes"...we had a good play !!! Many many times I'd simply say...

"hey Joe who do you like in the 5th at Suffolk and he would reply...well I like the 2 because he ran against the dead rail last time ........etc etc etc ...and I like the 5/3 underneath because.....

I would then show him my independent picks of say 2-3-7-5.....we had a high pct winner in that 2 horse.

My point: I dont think I will ever match my win pct and roi at Suffolk from home because I dont have access to Joe's notes. I'm sure that there are other tracks that this kind of information would be very very vaulable. In my case......at least at Suffolk I cannot seem to match my at the track record using the computer from home. (In fact I hardly played Suffolk untill Joe and I got to talking one day and comparing picks....we both played NY tracks and he had his notes on Suffolk races..). His notes also kept me from playing many races that I might have played by just traditional handicapping.

Comments ?

twindouble
07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Using the computer and internet has many, many, advantages when handicapping and playing from home. Among many things its cheaper, less distractions, and the "ride home" is quicker:D !

Have you found circumstances where handicapping at the track was MORE profitable ???

For example:

When I used to go to Suffolk Downs 4-5 times per week I had one advantage that I cant seem to match from home. At the Suffolk tele-theatre where I normally did my capping I sat next to an older guy I got friendly with. His name is Joe also and he was a damn good handicapper. What he also did was keep detailed notes on every Suffolk race. Horses to watch, dead rail notes, early speed only, etc etc. Anyway we discovered that when I liked a horse using my method of speed/pace handicapping and he liked him because of his "notes"...we had a good play !!! Many many times I'd simply say...

"hey Joe who do you like in the 5th at Suffolk and he would reply...well I like the 2 because he ran against the dead rail last time ........etc etc etc ...and I like the 5/3 underneath because.....

I would then show him my independent picks of say 2-3-7-5.....we had a high pct winner in that 2 horse.

My point: I dont think I will ever match my win pct and roi at Suffolk from home because I dont have access to Joe's notes. I'm sure that there are other tracks that this kind of information would be very very vaulable. In my case......at least at Suffolk I cannot seem to match my at the track record using the computer from home. (In fact I hardly played Suffolk untill Joe and I got to talking one day and comparing picks....we both played NY tracks and he had his notes on Suffolk races..). His notes also kept me from playing many races that I might have played by just traditional handicapping.

Comments ?

Joey; You hit a sore spot with me. Sure I've sat here and make scores but there's no one here to give me the high five or anyone I can buy a beer or take to dinner and have fun conversation all night. Can't rib anyone when they say this horse is a lock and he runs dead last. like you I long for the track and have vowed to bring back some of that in my life. When on the computer I feel like I'm in a rut, I call it closet gambling, no contact with people or everything the track experience has to offer.

So what do I do, I come here and try to have some fun the war room. LOL. Last year I made one trip to Saratoga, this year I'll be going as many times as I can, just to rub elbows.

I can no longer get to know a track and people like it used be when one was close by and yes, that had some advantages.

Good Luck.