PDA

View Full Version : How do I handicap 5 Furlong on the turf ??

John
05-13-2001, 07:30 PM
Suffolf Downs will card 5 furlong on the turf for the rest of the meet. I know that in turf routes closers are the better choices in most races.

Does anyone have an idea on how to handiacp 5 furlong on the turf.
Thank you

GR1@HTR
05-13-2001, 08:28 PM
breeding. Sire win% at the distance is always good.

MikeH
05-13-2001, 10:58 PM
In Turf Sprints, I look for horses coming out of Turf Route races, and I use the "Drs. Bill Quirin / Jim Quinn" "Route to sprint with the high pace number" method.

I'm looking for a horse who was up close at the 1st and 2nd calls in a Turf Route race, then I adjust the horse's pace number in the route to estimate their final number in a sprint. If the adjusted number is the best, than I have a play at, say 3-1 or 4-1 depending on how much I like the data, how many horses are in the race, and how much early speed is in the race.

I adjust the pace number by subtracting 1 for every 1/2 furlong difference between the distance of the horses' route race, and today. So, if the horse's last race was 8 furlongs (one mile), and today's race at Suffolk is 5 furlongs, I would subtract 6 ( 8 furlongs- 5 furlongs = 3, 3 x 2 = 6). (I'm using Bris figures; if you are using HTR's Quirin numbers, the adjustment would be a little less.)

John
05-14-2001, 08:20 AM
MikeH,
BEAUTiFUL !!! I was hopeing someone could show me away to convert turf routes fractions to fit sprint races. This is the best I seen so far.

Thank you very much and have a good day.....

MikeH
05-14-2001, 01:04 PM
I forgot to mention -

If I can't find a Turf Router that fits the above conditions, I usually pass the race...

so.cal.fan
05-15-2001, 02:12 PM
I am certainly no turf sprint expert, however, I have noticed for years an interesting angle.
Horses who do well at Fairplex Park (a half mile track) usually do well in Hollywood Park sprints and sometimes Santa Anita as well.
I guess it is the sharp turns, but I am not sure.
I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this in other parts of the country?