PDA

View Full Version : Bipartisan negligence

betchatoo
07-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Security Loses; Pork Wins

Published: July 14, 2005

This was a sad week for the war on terror. The Senate voted, disgracefully, to shift homeland security money from high-risk areas to low-risk ones - a step that is likely to mean less money to defend New York and California against terrorism and more for states like Wyoming. Before the vote, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff made a powerful appeal to the senators to distribute the money based on risk. But the Senate, led by Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, and other small-state representatives, put political pork ahead of national security. It now falls to the House to fight for a financing formula that will keep the nation safe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/opinion/opinionspecial/14thu1.html

This is bipartisan, because right at Senator Collin's side was Senator Lieberman (I can't believe I was prepared to vote for this man). If the people we elect aren't more concerned about protecting this country than getting money for their individual states we are in deep trouble.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2005, 12:33 AM
If it's clear to us, why isn't it clear to them? They're supposed to do our bidding, aren't they?

Oh well, the folks in Wyoming probably won't be complaining too much, sad as it seems....

Secretariat
07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Hopefully, Bush will support his own Homeland Security Director and veto the bill.

Tom
07-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Also, the senate lied to us.

They promised 2,000 new border agents. We got 1,000.
They promised 8,000 more detention beds. We got 1,000.

The house is no better. They just defeated a bill that would have given the president the power to levy sanctions on nations selling arm to China. 100 duly elected representatives changed thier votes. That it, they SOLD the votes WE put in office to cast in our interests to business lobbyists who do not to rock the chinnese golden gooses. Big business just bought our governement and put you and me in danger. The congress took bridbes. How can anyone educated beyond 1st grade not see ALL lobbyist for what they are? The is NO WAY a real deocracy can fucntion when it allows lobbyist to function.
Bush better get his worthless head out his worthless ass and start working and building a democracy HERE first, cause we sure as hell do not have one.