PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Hopkins VS Jermain Taylor

Bobby
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
i got taylor to win this. +140

How does everyone see this one?

chickenhead
07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I say it's a toss up. Taylor will give him all he can handle, but Hopkins has seen it all. Hopefully it is as good a fight as it looks to be.

I've been erratic calling these this year, Winky was a mortal lock IMO over Tito, but in no way did I think Mayweather would DESTROY Gatti like he did.

I'm rooting for Taylor here.

Bobby
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Yes, Hopkins has run the middleweight division for like 10 yrs I believe. But I definitely don't think taylor gets knocked out. Im rooting for tAylor. he's from Little rock. So i biased. I think he has a real good chance here no matter what I think. Younger quicker and probably as strong if not stronger than Hopkins. The only knock - not as seasoned.

cj
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
I'd sooner bet on WWE than the joke boxing has become, but that is just me. Good luck with your wager.

I do like Hopkins, isn't he the guy that threw rice and red beans at some guy in a pre-fight interview, claiming since he was The Executioner, he was giving the guy his last meal. The guy was a Mexican, so it wasn't a politically correct joke, but very original!

chickenhead
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
c'mon CJ, one division is a joke at the moment, that doesn't discredit the whole sport. There have been some great fights over the last few years.

Bobby
07-12-2005, 04:37 PM
yea, cj I'll sell you my avatar :D

Bobby
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Yes, country boy boxer brought the unified middleweight title home to ARKANSAS. Clearly, taylor won the first 6 or 7 rounds. Hopkins came on late in the last 3 or 4 rounds. I'm kinda suprised they gave the split decision to Taylor now - two days later, although immediatly after the fight I WAS NOT.

Anyway, this was a good fight, one for the ages. No low blows, intentional head butts, or missing ears. Hopkins finally gets beat after like 10 years and 20 title defenses. A mandatory rematch will come as early as OCTOBER.

cj
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I was able to watch this fight Sunday morning on AFN, very entertaining. I think the decision was the proper one. Made you long for the old 15 rounder, didn't it?

Bobby
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
CJ,

This was a classic boxing match. Just good boxing. No outside drama. Don King was not in the shadows and everything seemed legit.

About the decision - I thought it would be a little bit harder for the judges to crown a new champ when the fight was so close, ALTHOUGH immediately after the fight I kinda knew that Taylor had won. So maybe it wasn't that close. At the time - after 4 or 5 beers i should say - I was suprized that one of the judges had it Hopkins 116 - 112. that's almost like a 3 or 4 round advantage. No way.

chickenhead
07-18-2005, 07:03 PM
I won't get to see it till this coming weekend. Sounded like a good one! Did either of them get shook up?

Bobby
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Yes, Hopkins wuz shook up early & Taylor late in the fight.

chickenhead
07-24-2005, 01:12 PM
watched this fight last night...while I do think the judges got it right, Taylor did not impress me much. You could see that he really needed some more seasoning, Hopkins basically gave the fight away. The rematch should be interesting...either fighter could make the correct adjustments and win.