PDA

View Full Version : Claim Game

Suff
07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Claiming Diamond Bullet out of the 3rd race at Suffolk downs today.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbRaceEntriesDisplay.cfm?TRK=SUF&CY=USA&DATE=07/11/2005&STYLE=EQB

Friend and I taking a shot at this one. Going to be using Frank Shannon as trainer.

Valuist
07-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Good luck with it. I just the ownership ranks two weeks ago when two friends along with myself claimed a horse at Lone Star.

cj
07-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Why the late post today?

Looks solid, may draw some other interest, eh? Not sure how much claiming goes on at Suffolk.

Suff
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Why the late post today?

Looks solid, may draw some other interest, eh? Not sure how much claiming goes on at Suffolk.

Just Mon and Tues, and just July and Aug. Trying to get more people access to the live card. Most HR'ing fans are 7-3 guys than 9-5 guys.

Summer Racing is still relatively new to Boston. Rockingham did the summer. They're dicking with Post times because they're making it up as they go along.

Claiming is a daily and common occurence at Suffolk. Dandy, Rigaterri are two guys you stay away from, because they counter claim anyone right out of the business.

Suff
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Winner: Diamond Bullet - Bay Gelding, May 21, 2000
Bred by Adena Springs in KY Pedigree: Awesome Again - Po Po Au Pooh , by Tong Po
1 claimed horse(s): Diamond Bullet:
New Owner = Daniel F. Sullivan; New Trainer = Frank P. Shannon

kenwoodallpromos
07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I do not have the PP's- noticed online that the horse has dropped from $25,000 and had a quick pace back earlier.
Has the horse had any layoffs in 2005? Anything you can fill us in on about Shannon?

JustRalph
07-11-2005, 06:33 PM
nice blood..........too bad he is a gelding

Suff
07-11-2005, 07:12 PM
nice blood..........too bad he is a gelding

125K Foal fee. Its for fun. With a shot a making some money for more horses.

Ran 12 times in 2004 , earned 70 grand. Still Young @ 5. 13 starts at Suffolk, and if you look who rode him it was all Hampshire and Pannell. Long time 1 & 2's here. Ran an 89 routing in Maryland. BSF of 79 on an off (4-0-2-0) , from 31 starts only 4 whacks at a wet track. 12-0-5-2 at Suffolk was a little concerning, but todays win eased those fears.

Won today on the lead, never challenged. But won for 12.5K at Pimilico coming from 14 off the pace. Stonach stables had for first 10 races or so. Then Karl Grusmark ran him a bunch of times. Allow17Knw2. Claim 12-16K.

Theres not a lot of good horse's at Suffolk right now. The ones that are there are in the Big Barns. You can enter around them if you trend.

This one could get healthy and win a 17K'r, thats $9600 winners end. That and a claiming purse, and claiming price, gets us in 3 more.

My friend Danny put it together. PA and the guys met him last year. The guy in the picture of Bailey and I in the 2004 toga gallery.

CryingForTheHorses
07-11-2005, 08:09 PM

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbRaceEntriesDisplay.cfm?TRK=SUF&CY=USA&DATE=07/11/2005&STYLE=EQB

Friend and I taking a shot at this one. Going to be using Frank Shannon as trainer.

Best of luck with him !Suff...Looking at his whole life PP'S, I see your trainer also claimed him for $12.5 k..Not that its any of my business I also noticed he lost the horse for 5k and finished 2nd that day...The big question..He does know the horse but he has never won with him, Looks like he likes 1 1/16.Run him back for what you claimed him for Suff and get the money!!

Steve 'StatMan'
07-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Good Luck Suff!

(and to Valuist as well!)

Suff
07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Best of luck with him !Suff...Looking at his whole life PP'S, I see your trainer also claimed him for $12.5 k..Not that its any of my business I also noticed he lost the horse for 5k and finished 2nd that day...

The story goes, that during the break before that race, Frank did some work on his back. Threw him to get a race and maybe steal it. He went straight to 10K after that. No sniff's at 4, no sniff's at 10. He tried to throw him in 5K and get away with one. Kevin Clarke took him. What Clarke knew I don't know.

He did'nt get pushed to bad today. Expect an aggressive strategy provided he can walk in the morning.

If you looked lifetime then you know he's been highly regarded where he's been. Barns and bettors. 23 of 31 races below 9-1. Thats running for 40 and 30. 17 of 30 less than 3-1. Owner/trainer history puts confidence in the questions of how he's been treated.

Valuist
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Looks like he claimed a sharp horse. I don't know how good Suffolk NW1X are, but at cheaper tracks, a solid non-conditioned 5000 horse often can handle NW1X (assuming they still have the condition).

Steve-

My claim will be running at AP late this month. Her name is Front Paige Gal and she's an Illinois bred. We claimed her because she still has the FSNW1X condition, and she's been competitive against open 10K to 15K claimers at Lone Star. Its not often you can claim an Illinois bred in an open race who still has all of its allowance conditions.

Suff
07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
My claim will be running at AP late this month. Her name is Front Paige Gal and she's an Illinois bred. We claimed her because she still has the FSNW1X condition, and she's been competitive against open 10K to 15K claimers at Lone Star. Its not often you can claim an Illinois bred in an open race who still has all of its allowance conditions.

Good luck Valuist, I'd like to see you post about your ownership experience. I'll see what I can add.

That's one downside of Diamond Bullet's big win today. Took N2Y condition out of our playbook.

sealord
07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey Valuist-
Try to drop a line when she runs, as I'll be down at AP a bit this month. I'd have to throw a couple of bucks at her just for luck. Best of luck to you!
-Jeff

Skanoochies
07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Good luck to both of you with your new claims. Two more owners added to McShell (and others?). Adds even more interest to this site. :cool:

Skanoochies.

cryptic1
07-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Suff, good luck on your claim. What do you pay for day rates? Here in
'racino' country we pay $85.00/day which seems exorbitant but the purse
structure makes it workable and the claiming game is vibrant.

cryptic1

Suff
07-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Suff, good luck on your claim. What do you pay for day rates? Here in
'racino' country we pay $85.00/day which seems exorbitant but the purse
structure makes it workable and the claiming game is vibrant.

cryptic1

45 a day+. 5 + 1 grand, advanced in board. When Danny gave him the money, he broke off 200 and asked him to put it on the horse to win. We concurred on the Telephone...."He's our kinda guy"

I'm along for the ride,

Zaf
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Good Luck Guys ! I put them both in my Stable Mail. I'll be rootin fer ya !!! :jump:

ZAFONIC

kingfin66
07-12-2005, 02:22 AM
I expect to see some Winner's Circle photos posted her very soon. Good luck guys. And McSchell, good luck to you too. Keep plugging away at 'em down at Calder.

CryingForTheHorses
07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
45 a day+. 5 + 1 grand, advanced in board. When Danny gave him the money, he broke off 200 and asked him to put it on the horse to win. We concurred on the Telephone...."He's our kinda guy"

I'm along for the ride,

Peeled off 2 bills and told you to bet on him, I do hope he eats with his betting money and doesnt bet with his eatin money...Good luck

Suff
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Peeled off 2 bills and told you to bet on him, I do hope he eats with his betting money and doesnt bet with his eatin money...Good luck
The horse won by 2 so he ate well yesterday.

ezpace
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
To you both.

IRISHLADSTABLE
07-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Suff & Valuist,
Good Luck to both of you . It's a great game , nothing
like getting your picture taken in the Winner's Circle.
I'll add both horses to my watch list and check out the PP
when they run next. Havnt been on the site in a while
Hope all is well with everyone.Toga 3 is fast approaching.
Not sure if I'll make it up there this Yr but I'll try .
Would love to see you Guys. Been busy my little one
graduated and is off to JHS.Jimmy Jr is in the process
on being put on a Insulin Pump for his Type 1 diabetes.
My sister is in the Hospital again ( 5th Times since last
Aug) Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer.
On a happier note I was contacted by TrackInsiders.com
Im the New York Handicapper for them. Ive been selling my
selections there for a few months.Everyone enjoy the rest
of the Belmont meet and I hope to see some of you at the
Spa.
Jimmy

Valuist
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks Jimmy. Good luck with the health issues in the family.

As for our horse, as it stands now according to the condition book, we won't be running until Aug. 11. Its too bad we couldn't have been able to enter for tomorrow's 10th at AP, since that's who we would face. But I'm guessing the racing sec will write another one of these between now and then, since AP has had trouble filling their races and these state bottom level allowance races never have trouble filling (ask the Belmont folks about that one :D ).

Suff
07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

IN TUESDAY. 5TH @SUF.

IRISHLADSTABLE
07-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Michael,
Hope to see you, Sully and Diamond Bullet in the
Winners Circle.

Jimmy

shanta
07-24-2005, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=IRISHLADSTABLE]
Jimmy Jr is in the process
on being put on a Insulin Pump for his Type 1 diabetes

Jimmy,
look into "Lantus" insulin. It is taken at night and really stabilizes the sugar levels compared to "Humalog" and the others ok? Very very good for Type 1's.

Talk to your son's Doc. He will know it.

Take care,
Richie

IRISHLADSTABLE
07-24-2005, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=shanta][QUOTE=IRISHLADSTABLE]
Jimmy Jr is in the process
on being put on a Insulin Pump for his Type 1 diabetes

Jimmy,
look into "Lantus" insulin. It is taken at night and really stabilizes the sugar levels compared to "Humalog" and the others ok?

Rich,
Jimmy Jr is taken Lantus for a while now. He takes shots using a
syringe needle. He uses Novolog Insulin during the day prior to
meals and snacks. He uses Lantus at Bedtime only .
He was dong fine until Full Blown Puberty set in.
The reason for the pump is he will continually get insulin thur out the
day and night. Shu help with the fluctuating blood sugar numbers .
Thanks for your concern. Hope all is will with u and your family
Jimmy

BillW
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Hey Mike,

Congrats on purchase and first win - will be cheering on Tues. (sorry I missed the original thread)

Bill

BillW
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Good luck to Valuist also.

Storm Cadet
07-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I hope you make the winners circle often...there's nothing like it... ;) see you in a couple of weeks! I'm heading up the weekend of the 5-7th...Whitney weekend with my wife and 2 boys...Ron

Red Knave
07-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Sorry i missed the original thread too!

All the best tomorrow Mike.

I know you're having fun.

Suff
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
ML is 7/5 and I expect a win. If you happen to have your video running tommorrow....and he does win. Check out the Winner Circle Photo. 50+ people will be in it....:D :lol: :jump: :p :kiss: :ThmbUp: :rolleyes: :faint:

BillW
07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
ML is 7/5 and I expect a win. If you happen to have your video running tommorrow....and he does win. Check out the Winner Circle Photo. 50+ people will be in it....:D :lol: :jump: :p :kiss: :ThmbUp: :rolleyes: :faint:

Are you going to have the suit and tie on "expecting" to have your picture taken? :p

WINMANWIN
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Good Luck Mike, now I just need to dope out the Exacta and Tri's :confused:

kingfin66
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
I give him 5/2 but would need 3/1 to bet him. He looks very well placed here. Hope you all get your picture taken tomorrow.

cj
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Let me be the first to offer my congrats! Way to go suff!

BillW
07-26-2005, 04:51 PM

#2 here - nice score Mike & Danny - oats bill paid for a week or so! :jump::jump:

JustRalph
07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Lost the horse in the claim box..........? Got 5k for him.......won 4800 this race...that sounds like a profit....onward and upward huh?

Congrats on the win!

JustMissed
07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Suff, who where all those people listed as owners?

I hope you and Danny didn't have to split with that bunch.

Congrads.

JM :)

CryingForTheHorses
07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Congrats Suff,Nice race GREAT win,Too bad you lost him but you can always claim him back..Sad part of this game is to have to lose them,Glad all turned out well.Gotta get your next win here in Florida.

Bubbles
07-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Attaboy, Suff! Way to go.

IRISHLADSTABLE
07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Michael,
Congrats to u and your partners. Sorry you lost him but thats the
claiming game. Irishladstable's best months were when we
ran horses right back and won and they were reclaimed.
Would get the 25% increase in Claim price and the Purse.
Jimmy

Suff
07-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I hope you and Danny didn't have to split with that bunch.

Congrads.

What bunch? The bunch in the winner circle? Family and friends.

Only 2 guys listed as owners....unless you saw something I did'nt.

Suff
07-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Congrats Suff,Nice race GREAT win,Too bad you lost him but you can always claim him back..Sad part of this game is to have to lose them,Glad all turned out well.Gotta get your next win here in Florida.

Frank Shannon is from your school. JAM him back, if he wins, Jam him again. Keep Jammin him. Get the MONEY!!....:)

Suff
07-26-2005, 07:44 PM

I had a deal worked out with Danny that if he won and he got claimed........Danny would draw a little extra $$ for Saratoga this weekend:ThmbUp:

Your going on your cruise soon? I'm leaving in 48 hours for Saratoga baby!

JustMissed
07-26-2005, 08:07 PM
What bunch? The bunch in the winner circle? Family and friends.

Only 2 guys listed as owners....unless you saw something I did'nt.

This is from the TSN chart:

"DIAMOND BULLET dueled for command outside, gained a clear advantage into the stretch and proved best. JAMES advanced outside, made a run leaving the far turn and finished second best. STORM OF THE YEAR saved ground and tired into deep stretch. THUNDER RIDER advanced outside and tired into deep stretch. RUNLIKETHEDICKENS dueled for command inside and tired into the stretch.

Owners: 4 - Sullivan, David and Guarnieri, Ben; 3 - Danzig Stable; 1A - Michael J. Gill; 6 - Burton K. Sipp; 2 - Robert A. Raymond
Trainers: 4 - Frank P. Shannon; 3 - Ambrose Pascucci; 1A - Carlos R. Figueroa; 6 - Burton K. Sipp; 2 - Robert A. Raymond
Breeders: 4 - Adena Springs (KY); 3 - Bonita Farm & Margaret McManus (MD); 1A - Mr. & Mrs. John C. Mabee (CA); 6 - Francisco Palacios (FL); 2 - Marvin Saurbier (FL)
Claimed: Diamond Bullet by Richard N. Miller (Kevin G. Clark)

Scratched: Our Cousin Rex, Optimal "

I was just reading the chart and did not see Mike Dudley(I think that is your name).

Oh, well. As long as you can cash the check.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Congrats Suff & Company!!!

kingfin66
07-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Congrats Suff & Company!!!

+ 1

Trijack
07-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Suff

From the King of Saratoga to the King of Claimers. Great going.

Jack

chickenhead
07-26-2005, 11:57 PM
congrats Suff :ThmbUp:

Zaf
07-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Way to go Suff :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

ZAFONIC

PaceAdvantage
07-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Well, I'm late to this party, but allow me to offer my congrats as well!!!

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

cj
07-27-2005, 03:44 AM
I guess this is a bit simplistic, but I would think anytime a horse is claimed away that is a good thing. Of course, you have to enter the horse where you wouldn't mind him being claimed in the first place, which is what I would guess happened. Suff?

PS...hey suff, I hear other teams have a new nickname for Schilling...BP!

kingfin66
07-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey Suff,

How about a picture of the winner's circle?

Valuist
08-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Nice job Suff. Nothing wrong with getting claimed away; especially after getting a win.

We're (Front Paige Gal) finally supposed to run next Thursday (the 11th) at Arlington. Its an Illinois-bred FNW1X and we're coming from an open 15000 at Lone Star. Ability wise we definitely fit; the only concern is really the distance. She's not proven at 1 1/8 miles but hopefully they won't be going quick up front and we can be near the slow pace. She just worked a slow 5f yesterday but that's ok. Hugh doesn't work his horses very fast and I never put much stock into workout times anyways. Hopefully we don't get stuck on the also-eligible list. Sometimes preference to start goes to horses who haven't run for a tag; that's fine for an open company race but in a state bred race it makes no sense. I'm sure there's some that will be in there that couldn't compete for 5000 in open company.

Zaf
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Gotta run em where they can win. Simple as that.

ZAFONIC

Suff
08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Nice job Suff. Nothing wrong with getting claimed away; especially after getting a win.

Yes horse was claimed away. Danny, the guy that pulls the strings, reads Pace advantage 4 days a week but rarely posts. He hinted that he'd prefer I not spread the details of his plans for another horse, other than to say he is reaching in for 7.5 to 10K next. Diamond bullet broke out roughly this way in 3 weeks.

$6000 down
$1000 good will gesture deposit after 2 weeks.
-------

-$7000.00

$5000.00 for selling the horse
$4800.00 for winning purse
--------
$9800.00
$1200.00 cash on hand in horsemens account ($650 barn fee, shoe's $85.00)
---------
11,000.00 on hand. With another barn Bill (1 week), and trainer/jockey split yet deducted. 10% $480.00 x 2.

Suff
08-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Of course, you have to enter the horse where you wouldn't mind him being claimed in the first place, which is what I would guess happened. Suff?

I was over to see the horse in the barn Saturday before the Tuesday race.

I'm a silent partner..with Danny and he asked me to be low key around the barn. I talked to Shannons Brother few minutes. Talk horse's in general.

The way it is being decided is that Shannon captains the ship. He said Jam him.. Sully jammed him. Danny is no stranger to Sufferin Downs. He's put himself in Franks hands.

CryingForTheHorses
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I was over to see the horse in the barn Saturday before the Tuesday race.

I'm a silent partner..with Danny and he asked me to be low key around the barn. I talked to Shannons Brother few minutes. Talk horse's in general.

The way it is being decided is that Shannon captains the ship. He said Jam him.. Sully jammed him. Danny is no stranger to Sufferin Downs. He's put himself in Franks hands.

Suff, You also need to keep your "Silent Partner" to yourself, The racing associations "frown" on hidden ownerships, Doesnt matter what stake you have in the horse,This keeps the shady guys in the open!

Suff
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Suff, You also need to keep your "Silent Partner" to yourself,

Yes..Mr Mcshell... I know that. But someone had asked me about it so I was trying to tuck it into the storyline without much fanfare.

My only fear was that someone would put a spotlight on it. hint

In my parlance...

"Why you shining me?".....:D :confused: :faint:

CryingForTheHorses
08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes..Mr Mcshell... I know that. But someone had asked me about it so I was trying to tuck it into the storyline without much fanfare.

My only fear was that someone would put a spotlight on it. hint

In my parlance...

"Why you shining me?".....:D :confused: :faint:

Not trying to "shine you out", Just looking out for you as you did have a trainer who did claim this horse before for 10 k, and didnt win with him.I think 8 starts?.Got you and your friend to claim the horse so he could make back his money that he lost before..Its always nice to win but your AT YOUR expense....