PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the Fog!! - AWESOME

Observer
07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
What a treat watching Lost in the Fog today!!

Hard to understand after his win on Belmont Stakes day how he was not considered by some as the best sprinter in the country .. and if there are any doubters left after today .. I just have one question for them .. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??!!
:)

kenwoodallpromos
07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
About 1/3 second off the track record.
Isn't cruising that close to or getting the record when already several lengths in front pretty good?
I heard he won at AQ,Bel, GP, CRC< going to Saratoga next, and of course won in northern Ca. Sounds like they want all the east coasters to be impressed! Maybe he will make all the big circuits eventually!

Observer
07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
This is a true champion everyone wants .. a horse that ships and runs and wins .. only the downside is he's a "sprinter" .. so he's not getting anywhere near the respect and attention he'd be getting if he was a route horse .. which is a shame.

how cliche
07-10-2005, 09:32 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I love this horse more and more everytime I see him. FWIW, Calder was expecting 10,000 extra fans because of his drawing power.Mike Watchmaker has him ranked 10th on his rankings list, added only after his win on Belmont Day. Seems really low to me, but then he is a Frankel sycophant. He is also is biased towards east coast horses. Maybe after today he'll move up to #9? BTW, it is good to see Russell retain the mount on this runner. I loved the track announcer..."Lost In The Fog...as advertised."

Tom
07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
This horse worries me.

I am afraid the rider will fall asleep one of theses days and fall off!
Talk about easy running!
WOW!
I love the way he just looks like he is loping, then all of a sudden he has left the field behind and never looked he picked it up at all. That's class.

keilan
07-10-2005, 11:16 PM
This is a true champion everyone wants .. a horse that ships and runs and wins .. only the downside is he's a "sprinter" .. so he's not getting anywhere near the respect and attention he'd be getting if he was a route horse .. which is a shame.

If this guy routes at a mile and wins there will be all kind of skeptics out there saying, yeah that’s great but could he get 10 furlongs. I really wonder what this horse has to accomplish before he gets his due.

What would the media sound like if he were trained by a big name east-coast guy and be Kentucky bred?

Foggy ships all over the country, runs every month this year except February and dominates like few horses have in recent memory. When players ask “who has he beat” I reply with, everyone that he has ever started against.

Wish I could have seen him run today but I was @ Carnegie’s finishing school for horseplayers. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
07-10-2005, 11:59 PM
He's a special treat, no doubt....enjoy him while it lasts!

Madcap Escapade looked pretty good herself...good to see her back winning....

kev
07-11-2005, 12:21 AM
I think it was either his 2 or 3rd start at TUP where he broke the track record, I was on the band wagon then. The only thing now he has to come play with the big boys ( older horses ).

chickenhead
07-11-2005, 12:21 AM
what you guys say and more...he is awesome, with no qualifiers. It really is a treat to watch him run.

RXB
07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Hard to understand after his win on Belmont Stakes day how he was not considered by some as the best sprinter in the country .. and if there are any doubters left after today .. I just have one question for them .. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??!!

Nice horse, no doubt. Runs his race every time. But as a pace guy, I'm forced to point out that the Carry Back was basically a freebie. Alone on the lead: 22.42, 45.46, 57.11, 1:09.30.

The Smile: 21.18, 43.92, 56.34, 1:09.80. Won by Woke Up Dreamin' who pressed the hot pace and drew off.

breakage
07-11-2005, 12:32 AM
WOW!
I love the way he just looks like he is loping, then all of a sudden he has left the field behind and never looked he picked it up at all. That's class.
He didn't pick it up at all. His last quarter was slower than his first two. It's just that the other ones slowed down alot more than he did in the last quarter. Funny how this perception exists in racing. Usually it's the visually impressive late closers who are really only slowing up less at the end than the front runners they are catching. Also, his first quarter was alot less taxing than the first quarters of the other two big 6f races of the day and his final time was only slightly better. Nonetheless, nice race by "The Fog"

the little guy
07-11-2005, 12:34 AM
I agree with RXB. I like Lost in the Fog, and especially love the way his connections have handled him, in spite of pressure from others to do what may not be in the horse's best interests. I root for him, and would be very happy to see him continue winning, but until he starts running faster and beats some qualified top horses, he has more to prove.

I hope he takes on a tough field of elders in the Vosburgh and/or BC Sprint. If he handles those horses then I will be ready to annoint him the supposed superstar that others feel he already is.

kenwoodallpromos
07-11-2005, 12:47 AM
I would like to see him in the BC mile.

the little guy
07-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Why not the Grand National?

chickenhead
07-11-2005, 01:13 AM
I want to see him face older as well, but not until the breeders cup. Foggy has not proved he is the best sprinter in the nation, and I don't think he is right now. But he is an awesome 3 yo, with no qualifiers. His last at Belmont was unbeleivable. If come October he can beat all comers...that would be wonderful. I just want to enjoy each moment, it the hopes that he does turn out to be the kind of horse he shows the promise of being.

how cliche
07-11-2005, 01:18 AM
I understand numbers guys fixation with the splits and how he should've finished faster. I will say I got caught up in that too before the race ever went off, because I saw nobody quick enough out of the gate to hang with him early. I was hoping, because he lacked pace partners, that he would be able to break another track record today. He's broken two and I was hoping for a third. I don't think Russell was concerned with that though.

RXB
07-11-2005, 02:22 AM
I've got no problem with how he finished. I've looked through those races, and I'd assign him a 115 Beyer, which is pretty strong for a Grade 2 3YO. The pace was soft and uncontested, though, so the BSF is somewhat inflated compared to the reality of the performance.

rastajenk
07-11-2005, 08:26 AM
He earned a 116, which puts him in among the best sprinters going now, of any age. When he was winning earlier with 104's and 105's, I thought, yes, that's nice, but foolish to say at that point he was a mortal lock for the BC sprint, or some such exaggerations. But he seems to be going in the right direction and ready to take on bigger challenges.

keilan
07-11-2005, 11:27 AM
TLG,

Okay let me get this straight;

Foggy has to start running faster and beat qualified horses. Question -- name me 3 qualified horses he has to beat, and I want names cause I would like to know who they are.

You especially love the way the connections have handled him, well so do I but it’s never a good idea to race against the best horses in America before a horse has reached maturity.

It’s like there is a double standard – who the hell has Afleet Alex beat. If he went against the best older horses now or in the late fall he would get his doors blown off.

RXB – I’m also a pace guy but I don’t see the relevance of pointing out the fractions of two races run on the same day --- what’s that all about anyways? Now the horse should run the fastest splits or somehow if he doesn’t that should tarnish his performance. How about the fractions he set at Belmont June 11th 22.0 – 44.1 – 1:21.2 for 7 furlongs, were those fast enough for you, was there enough PRESSURE for you?

Breakage – Let me be the first to break the news to ya – all t-bred races run at 6 furlongs have a slower last fraction than the 1st two. Maybe you’re a harness junky and got confused. Here’s the fractions (splits) of The Smile 21.18 – 22.74 – 25.88 -- ohhh well nonetheless breakage, Wake Up From Dreaming.

keilan
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
TLG,

Did E. Prado mentioned anything to you after his win with Foggy last month?

RXB
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
TLG,

It’s like there is a double standard – who the hell has Afleet Alex beat. If he went against the best older horses now or in the late fall he would get his doors blown off.

RXB – I’m also a pace guy but I don’t see the relevance of pointing out the fractions of two races run on the same day --- what’s that all about anyways? Now the horse should run the fastest splits or somehow if he doesn’t that should tarnish his performance. How about the fractions he set at Belmont June 11th 22.0 – 44.1 – 1:21.2 for 7 furlongs, were those fast enough for you, was there enough PRESSURE for you?

I'm just pointing out a fact regarding yesterday's race, specifically. I'm not putting any credence in a big Beyer figure that is earned on a slow and uncontested pace against five other horses, none of whom had ever run in a graded stakes race (or put up a triple digit Beyer). That is called handicapping. I never knocked the horse's previous accomplishments so spare me, okay?

And regarding double standards between Afleet Alex and LITF-- well, you should know about that better than anyone else. :D

keilan
07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm just pointing out a fact regarding yesterday's race, specifically. I'm not putting any credence in a big Beyer figure that is earned on a slow and uncontested pace against five other horses, none of whom had ever run in a graded stakes race (or put up a triple digit Beyer). That is called handicapping. I never knocked the horse's previous accomplishments so spare me, okay?

And regarding double standards between Afleet Alex and LITF-- well, you should know about that better than anyone else. :D

RXB – okay you’re spared.

Oh but one quick observation -- you have posted 3 times recently in the selections forum and all 3 horses have lost at low odds. Is that also called handicapping. :D

kenwoodallpromos
07-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Why should LITF run faster at the slowest major track in the USA?
Why the big push to run against older and faster? I love horses who run gast enough to win, and from what I have seen, Baze did not whip him once. He runs on his own. Just like Secretariat did.
If LITF ran any fast I would be afraid someone would claim he is being doped up. Just the fact that I have not heard that is a big credit to the horse.
I have not heard about any health problems yet. Big credit to the horse.

cj
07-11-2005, 12:51 PM
I have to agree with RXB on this one.

For the races, I gave LITF a 105, while WUD gets a 115, of course due the the big difference in the pace fraction. I agree LITF could have probably gone a little better, but I think his Riva Ridge was about as good as he can do, and he earned a 109 for that race. Madcap Escapade got a 108 by the way.

I do know if they face each other there would be a big swing in weight, but not nearly enough to overcome that 10 point difference. Also, LITF should mature a little and get faster, but again, I don't think it will be enough.

The main thing is, LITF will be odds on when he faces older, and if the big guns show up, I'll shoot against him.

PS...as a fan, I love the horse!

breakage
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
TLG,

Breakage – Let me be the first to break the news to ya – all t-bred races run at 6 furlongs have a slower last fraction than the 1st two. Maybe you’re a harness junky and got confused. Here’s the fractions (splits) of The Smile 21.18 – 22.74 – 25.88 -- ohhh well nonetheless breakage, Wake Up From Dreaming.
Apparently you have a problem comprehending more than two or three words strung together and I'm not in the mood to help you. Obviously I know the last quarter is always slower than the first. I never said it wasn't or even implied it. You obviously are clueless but I guess it's good to have people like you betting into the pools. If you have any more stupid smart ass replies to me why don't we arrange to exchange them in person. Of course loudmouth know nothing gutless keyboard wimps like you would never have the balls for that.

RXB
07-11-2005, 01:05 PM
RXB – okay you’re spared.

Oh but one quick observation -- you have posted 3 times recently in the selections forum and all 3 horses have lost at low odds. Is that also called handicapping. :D

I don't think that anyone on this board is more honest than I am about losing streaks, having confessed to streaks of 41 and 37 in past years and having already noted that the latest one hit 22 until I won one yesterday. If you're better than I am, and don't suffer losing streaks, good for you. I'm not a pro.

Low odds? I'm looking at my betting records and I don't see anything lower than 7/2 in the past few weeks. And both of those horses ran second.

keilan
07-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Just to be clear I never meant to imply that LITF ran a better race than WUD yesterday or that he is the best sprinter out there at this time. All I have ever stated about this horse is that he is a special 3yo and shouldn’t test the best older horses until he matures more. My other comments about this guy include “ he will surprise many players if they route him or put him on the grass”.

keilan
07-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Apparently you have a problem comprehending more than two or three words strung together and I'm not in the mood to help you. Obviously I know the last quarter is always slower than the first. I never said it wasn't or even implied it. You obviously are clueless but I guess it's good to have people like you betting into the pools. If you have any more stupid smart ass replies to me why don't we arrange to exchange them in person. Of course loudmouth know nothing gutless keyboard wimps like you would never have the balls for that.

below is your previous post maybe you should read what you write before you post it. Start with "he didn't pick it up at all" then " His last quarter was slower than his first two" [B] you got the picture?

Hey I'll meet you any day, anywhere, because I'll have absolutely no problem saying it to your face. And at the same time I'll be taking your money!!!

He didn't pick it up at all. His last quarter was slower than his first two. It's just that the other ones slowed down alot more than he did in the last quarter. Funny how this perception exists in racing. Usually it's the visually impressive late closers who are really only slowing up less at the end than the front runners they are catching. Also, his first quarter was alot less taxing than the first quarters of the other two big 6f races of the day and his final time was only slightly better. Nonetheless, nice race by "The Fog"

the little guy
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
TLG,

Okay let me get this straight;

Foggy has to start running faster and beat qualified horses. Question -- name me 3 qualified horses he has to beat, and I want names cause I would like to know who they are.

You especially love the way the connections have handled him, well so do I but it’s never a good idea to race against the best horses in America before a horse has reached maturity.

Forest Danger, Saratoga County and Commentator.

I never stated that he should be racing in other races, at least at this point, but that doesn't detract from the obvious fact that he has more to prove before he enters into some elite category ( and I think too many people have already put him there ). I don't knock LITF for the company he keeps, but I am judging him in an unbiased manner, and I think there is a chasm between his actually ability and his perceived ability. I am also not saying that ultimately he won't prove to be the best sprinter in the country, I am just saying he is far from there yet.

You say to me there's a " double standard ". Why? When and where did I declare Afleet Alex a superstar? I do think his performances appear better than they are because of the horrendous competition he has faced. Although, I think it would be unfair to suggest his Preakness wasn't a very good effort. In order for there to have been a double standard I would have had to have been singing the praises of Afleet Alex. I like him similarly to how I like LITF, but I still think there's a lot of proving to do.

the little guy
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
TLG,

Did E. Prado mentioned anything to you after his win with Foggy last month?What are you getting at?

breakage
07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
below is your previous post maybe you should read what you write before you post it. Start with "he didn't pick it up at all" then " His last quarter was slower than his first two" [B] you got the picture?

I know what I wrote.He DIDN'T pick it up at all because no horses EVER do the last quarter. THAT'S MY POINT!!!. HELLLOOOO!!! I WAS COMMENTING ON PEOPLE'S PERCEPTION THAT THEY DO. Again, TRY TO COMMPREHEND THAT! Now, how can we arrange that meeting that you would pee your pants in if it actually happened?

DeoVolente
07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
If Little Andy were making his list of sprinters would he be number 10.

A guy by the name of Watchmaker has him number 10!

the little guy
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
If Little Andy were making his list of sprinters would he be number 10.

A guy by the name of Watchmaker has him number 10!No, I totally disagree with Watch on this one, and think he should be in the top 5 3YOs and probably in a similar position versus the sprinters, and have thought so for a while.

I like LITF, I'm just not falling all over myself about him.

keilan
07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
TLG,

You and I aren’t in disagreement about this at all. Foggy is not yet ready to take on older rivals but almost no 3yo in history has been at this time of the year. My opinion is always unbiased when it comes to horses; I have no ownership interest or anything else that would prejudice my thoughts. The 3 horses that you named are clearly horses outside his division and I was really only comparing him to all other 3yo’s.

My comments about “double standards” were not directed towards you and shouldn’t have been included in my question of you. I believe you and I again share the same opinion about Afleet Alex (other threads would support that). They were directed in general, towards all the guys here that believe AA to be the next great horse, i.e. The guys who said that he would whip Ghostzapper if they met in the Breeders etc..

Back to Prado – I would be interested to learn of his assessment of the horse after having ridden him that’s all.

the little guy
07-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't know Prado at all and have never spoken to him.

keilan
07-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I know what I wrote.He DIDN'T pick it up at all because no horses EVER do the last quarter. THAT'S MY POINT!!!. HELLLOOOO!!! I WAS COMMENTING ON PEOPLE'S PERCEPTION THAT THEY DO. Again, TRY TO COMMPREHEND THAT! Now, how can we arrange that meeting that you would pee your pants in if it actually happened?

I see your point now but that’s not what you wrote.

I have no problem accommodating you; I don’t win em all but I’ll show up. If you’re ever in western Canada give me a heads up. Then we can go to the track and I’ll still take your money.

breakage
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I see your point now but that’s not what you wrote.

I have no problem accommodating you; I don’t win em all but I’ll show up. If you’re ever in western Canada give me a heads up. Then we can go to the track and I’ll still take your money.
It IS what I wrote originally. I just spelled it out now in even more detail for you, "you" being the 1% of people who frequent this board that didn't understand what I was saying. And to compound your lack of comprehension of what you read you had to be a smartass. That's 0 for 2, or 00.00 for those who don't onderstand what 0 for 2 is. Or to use a comparison = to your probable ROI for your racing investments.

PaceAdvantage
07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Please end the petty, juvenile bickering. It's hurting my eyes. When I'm hurt, I tend to lash out indiscriminately and then things tend to get real ugly, real fast, and you guys don't want that....

So...let's get back to discussing LITF like the adults we are, and forget this little bit of a pissing contest ever took place. We all know nobody is meeting anybody anywhere, and even if you guys did meet up in person, we all know you'd buy each other a beer and laugh at the fools you were here on this thread....

Thanks for your time and understanding....

Signed,

The Caretaker.

breakage
07-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Please end the petty, juvenile bickering. It's hurting my eyes. When I'm hurt, I tend to lash out indiscriminately and then things tend to get real ugly, real fast, and you guys don't want that...
Give it a break. I'll say what I want when I want. "Real ugly real fast" :D Do you think I care about getting banned from some obscure internet board. Why don't you get real.

breakage
07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
and even if you guys did meet up in person, we all know you'd buy each other a beer and laugh at the fools you were here on this thread...
Not likely.You don't know me and don't call me a fool jerkoff. Kiss my ass.

the little guy
07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Not likely.You don't know me and don't call me a fool jerkoff. Kiss my ass.PA doesn't need me, or anyone, to defend him, but we're all guests on his site and I think it's in pretty poor taste to attack the guy, especially in light of the fact that he did nothing to deserve it.

how cliche
07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Take into account the weights and the final times from yesterday.

Woke Up Dreaming 117lbs 1:09.80

Madcap Escapade 120lbs 109.93

Lost In The Fog 122lbs 109.30

breakage
07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
PA doesn't need me, or anyone, to defend him, but we're all guests on his site and I think it's in pretty poor taste to attack the guy, especially in light of the fact that he did nothing to deserve it.
Wrong again Little Boy. When somebody says I acted like a fool they're attacking me. And he surely deserves it just as he did in that thread where he was demanding numbers from Mcshell and people were calling him on the jerk he was being there. They were right and I should have joined in and supported them. If you want to be a jerk then expect it in return. Again, when I am banned (shortly I expect) it will be no skin off my nose. I don't feel any need to post on any message boards about anything. And anyway, they are a dime a dozen.

PaceAdvantage
07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Breakage, thanks for making this one easy!

JustRalph
07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I hear the door opening.................SLAM! :D :D :D :D :D :D

CryingForTheHorses
07-11-2005, 08:24 PM
The title of this thread says it all about this horse, Managed to perfection and he shines everywhere he goes.We know the girl that gallops him, Her name is Sue. She goes everywhere he does.Great day for the fans as they witnessed a CHAMPION in the making.

Buckeye
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
who the hell has Afleet Alex beat. If he went against the best older horses now or in the late fall he would get his doors blown off.

Actually, it will be the other way around!

:cool:

but getting back to the subject of this thread, Foggy is the real deal.

He's not going to lose if he can help it. That's right, he thinks about these things, in a horsey kind of way.

keilan
07-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah I know you like AA, hope he develops into a nice runner for you. If he can find a little more speed somewhere I'd be cheering for him.

I respect guys that stick to their opinions :) Good Luck

NY BRED
07-12-2005, 05:10 AM
SPIN ON THE BELMONT RACE WAS THE FACT THE TRACK
WAS PLAYING TO SPEED ALL DAY AND THAT RACE @ CDX
MIGHT PROVE THAT FACT.

OBVIOUSLY THIS IS A SPECIAL HORSE AND AM HOPING
TO SEE LITF AT SARATOGA

Valuist
07-12-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but Woke Up Dreaming impressed the hell out of me. He was wide prompting a hellacious pace and still finished in 1:09 4/5 against a tough field.

Valuist
07-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Is there a double standard between LITF and Afleet Alex? Probably, but then again, the top 3YOs (like I said in my post why the Prioress shouldn't be a Grade 1) are routing, not running 6f. Is there a double standard between LITF and Commentator? I was making figures for Belmont the other night and the pace and final figure that Commentator earned was absolutely sick. True he was loose against a 4 horse field but they were no worse than what LITF beat. I do get the feeling Commentator looks like a current day Groovy, however.

OTM Al
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
It would have been interesting if Silver Wagon had not scratched out in the Smile. Woke Up Dreaming certainly seems to be peaking right now, but SW could have given him a run.

As for LTIF, its hard to say what he could do against older right now as I am not sure he's put out a maximum effort yet. Seems to me that Baze has run him no faster than he needs to and just fast enough to keep him focused. Prado had him at Belmont, and I'm not even sure he was full out then.

As for the top 10 in 3yos I have no idea why this guy isn't at #2 where I think he belongs. I only put him at #2 because Alex has shown the versitility of being able to win at 6f, 1 1/8m, 1 3/16 m and 1 1/2 m this year alone. Alex has plenty of speed when he wants it and honestly a race between the 2 at say 7f or 1m would be something to see (would have to give a 6f to Lost, even though I'd have to believe Alex would be closing on him late and further we just don't know about yet for Lost, so no reason to comment on it).

Could Alex beat his elders now? There's probably a few, like St Liam he would not be able to get by. How about LITF? I'd give him a better chance. Top end sprinters, at least to me, seem to be a little more erratic that routers, though that may only be because small mistake are more costly in a sprint than a route. He's been dead consistant. Can't think of a horse that has run over 100 BSF in each of his first 8 starts, especially when considering a couple of those were at 2. Hopefully we'll see with both come October.

All that said, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the hell out of watching these 2 go. I could care less if they come from a poor crop. They are both accomplished and gutty horses and we should appreciate them for as long as we have them, which hopefully will be another year and change.

toetoe
07-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Commentator
Pico Central
Egg Head, again
Silent Witness
Woke Up Dreamin ... Sp. of Baffert, RR looked very good after wisely ducking Commentator.
Small point: being told you're ACTING like an idiot is not simply flamily CALLING you an idiot, and should not offend a reasonable person.

toetoe
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Just found out Egg Head is dead. Dang.

keilan
07-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I missed that toetoe, what happened?

Valuist
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
This was just in todays DRF re: Egg Head.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/66728.html

cj
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Sad story, but let's get real.

The trainer says this is one of the greatest horses he has ever trained? HUH? He trained him for like a week, ran him once, and he ran second. I'm quite sure he has had better horses in his barn, he's not some small timer.

Observer
07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
C'mon .. the guy's entitled to his opinion .. and maybe he saw untapped potential .. the horse sure did look like he was on his way .. and ran a heck of a race losing to Lost in the Fog .. and even seemed at one point like he might actually hand Lost in the Fog his first defeat.

And despite only having the horse for a brief time .. that doesn't mean that he couldn't develop strong opinions for him .. obviously they really liked the horse .. or they never would have purchased him .. and I think it's great that McLaughlin took the time to credit Egg Head's former trainer, Lynda Knee.

McLaughlin on Egg Head (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=29021)