PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on loss of science jobs

Secretariat
07-10-2005, 01:46 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050708/sc_nm/economy_usa_science_dc

ElKabong
07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Good article, but read Tom Friedman's book; The World is Flat (suggested by socafan). He has a great insight into the hows and whys of our losing ground to other nations in engineering and science talent.

Seriously, give it a read or get the audio book. Friedman is a liberal Democrat and I don't agree w/ everything he writes but he has a lot to offer. Esp in this area.

I used to work for Texas Instruments in their Defense Electronics segment before they sold that piece of bizz to Raytheon. TI would offer Engineers, particularly EE's, considerably more $$ to work in non- Defense related programs and segments. If we had an Engineer who was exceptional (and we recruited some excellent talent) we often saw them transfer into TI's SC businesses.

Have worked with Engineers from the Middle east, Greece, Turkey and from all over Asia. Don't know why, but kids from Asia were always the best to work with (from an Operations point of view) b/c of their energy, talent, enthusiasm, lack of ego, and brilliance. Not slamming any others, but as far as foreign Enginerring grads went, I was always impressed with what they accomplished and offered a program.

Give Friedman's book a read/ listen. It could reshape your thoughts on some things.

Kreed
07-11-2005, 10:57 PM
i had TF in a course at NYU. very Tough, but open to criticism. although
that was rare. he did not teach economics, but a course with a kinda silly
name like "The Politics Of Money" --- something like that. Very Cool.