PDA

View Full Version : quarter horsres???

creatureman
07-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Does any here play the quater horses?? and or have any tips. My local track has some on the cards along with t-breds. I was condsidering playing them instead of passing them. I also noticed that there is no beyers for them in the DRF. Who would have good speed figs for them.?? Thanks

grahors
07-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Creature,
You must play CBY..I live in Mn also and have no idea on Q horses.
Hope you get some replies.
It really screws up playing some of the contests.
Grahors

kingfin66
07-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Check out Handicapping Speed by Charles Carroll. It is a good read and has information about making QH speed figures. I am still in the process of reading the book and practicing making T-Bred figures. It is an inexpensive book and very easy to make a spreadsheet that will crunch the numbers for you.

46zilzal
07-09-2005, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=creatureman]Does any here play the quater horses?? and or have any tips. My local track has some on the cards along with t-breds. /QUOTE]
remember to handicap their BREAK...few closers here....learned the trade at Los Alamitos watching the Palomino Freight Train two time world champion Kaweah Bar who was winning at eleven

Tom
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Trackmaster has speed figures (and power numbers) for Quarter horses.

46zilzal
07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Look for an contending animal that draws a post IN BETWEEN two slower breakers. Makes for a clean getaway as there is a TON OF BUMPING out of the gate that, and those short distances, can take your horse right out of the race.

depending upon the stats also., the outside post does not have the chance of getting squeezed too much, but check the stats on your course.

Nickle
07-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I think qtrs are a crapshoot and basically a gimmik bet

races too fast

creatureman
07-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I can see that if a QH breaks slow its over. I have handicapping speed, i will review it. There is also a wind factor in the form it shows a aroow with number ex <5. I guess meaning running into a headwind at 5mph. Am i correct here???

Tom
07-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I got into Q races way back in the day - Tioga park in southern NY used to have Q horses. Then a drought of 20 or so years, and now TVG has LA every nite. I enjoy the races - not a lot of pace analysis to worry about! Early speed and late speed are the same thing! hahaha.

Now, if I could only find speed figs for MULE RACES!
CJ? Any plans? :lol:

JimG
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Now, if I could only find speed figs for MULE RACES!
CJ? Any plans? :lol:

Tom,

He already does figs for Finger Lakes.

cnollfan
07-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Tom,
muleracing.org has a speed index for mules.

TurfRuler
07-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I enjoy Quarter Horse racing, and they are a good thing for the owners, trainers and jockeys who dedicate their lives to the sport. Yet I will always remember the funny....about the time that the race is run.

"There running, photo finish, you lose!

creatureman
07-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Please elaborate

TurfRuler
07-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Please elaborate

The time of the race, reading the quote...if the funny has to be explained it isn't that funny.

Tom
07-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Tom,
muleracing.org has a speed index for mules.

WOW!
Thanks, I never even thought to search!

ceejay
07-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I've played QH's some. I find that class is most important. LS shippers to RP or PRM for example. I quantify it by dividing current and/or prior year $ by starts.

OKSilver
07-12-2005, 09:40 AM
I have been using Trackmaster Performace Cycle sheets to pick
quarter horses at Sam Houston Race Park with very good success.
The only problem is the $20 cost of the sheet. :)

kingfin66
07-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Well, TVG finally won me over. What I used to consider to be a nuisance while waiting for thoroughbred races to run has now become part of my gambling experience. Played The Quarters tonight. It was disconcerting watching chalk after chalk win, them BAM!, two longshots in a row.

It's like Tom mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no pace to worry about. The breaks are very dicey, but they are for thoroughbreds too.

Pace Cap'n
07-16-2005, 07:54 AM
If you ever get the chance, go hang on the rail when the quarters are running.

The speed and power of the field as they pass by is astonishing.

kingfin66
07-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I would love to do that sometime. You can hear it somewhat on TVG, but I know that it must be minute compared to what it sounds like live.

BillW
07-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I would love to do that sometime. You can hear it somewhat on TVG, but I know that it must be minute compared to what it sounds like live.

If you listen closely, you will hear that the background sounds on TVG is a soundtrack. (coconut clomping ala M. Python? :D ) The real thing is awesome - the sub-sonics you feel through the ground give you a real feel for the power you are witnessing.

Bill

cakes
07-16-2005, 02:04 PM
They used to have quater horse racing on Long Island NY when I was a child. I think they were closed because the owner got caught making bets after the race was run.

kingfin66
07-16-2005, 02:15 PM
So what are the top Quarter Horse tracks - tracks where a significant portion of the races are QH?

So far, I have come up with in no particular order:

Los Alamitos
Ruidoso Downs
Sam Houston (during the QH meet)
Yavapai

any others???

BillW
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
So what are the top Quarter Horse tracks - tracks where a significant portion of the races are QH?

So far, I have come up with in no particular order:

Los Alamitos
Ruidoso Downs
Sam Houston (during the QH meet)
Yavapai

any others???

Lone Star and Retama have meets (HOU meet was so long last year because they took the LS meet due to the BC)

Remington Park
Prairie Meadows (mixed meet going on now)
Delta Downs
Evangeline Downs.
LAD and FG will have a few days worth.
Fair Meadows

There are quite a few more (I'm not much of a follower of the QH's) that I may have forgotten, and there are many more smaller meets that wouldn't be available to wager over the net (I don't think Manor Downs is available for instance)

Bill

Kitan
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Sunland does QH's in a mixed meet.

46zilzal
07-19-2005, 08:40 PM
If you ever get the chance, go hang on the rail when the quarters are running.
The speed and power of the field as they pass by is astonishing.
NOT to mention the dirt clods that fly about 20-30 feet into the air behind that chopping gait. Used to have a charity TB jock race at Los Al and Laffit was asking many of the local riders how the hell they hung on they get out of the gate so quickly.

Just look at their deep chests to know what sort of power they can put out.

Lots of fun to go to a "back woods" QH track. Went to Columbus Texas when it was literally the side of a cattle pasture and they had a 100K futurity there that day. Town well know for having the Chicken Ranch made popular in the show "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."