PDA

View Full Version : NYRA and BRISBET

Tom
05-14-2002, 09:57 PM
NYRA has asked BrisBet to not accept wagers on their tracks from NY residents??!?
I have long wondered just what kind of morons run NYRA. Now I realize moron is much too knod a term for them. They are essentially telling NY residnets that they do not want us to wager on thier races. This is absolute stupidity. But then again, it took NYRA how many years to finally agree to color saddle cloths?
And these are the same people who bring you the one-turn mile and an eigth race. If they think that as a NY residnet, I am somehow dying to bet NYRA racing and will open an account with them, they are mistaken, If NYRA were to close tomorrow, I would not miss them or their crappy day-to day product. Their actions only make places like Delaware and Monmouth look more inviting.
NYRA has nothing to offer that can't be had at other tracks. For years, I used to go to Saratoga every year, but it was to attend the Sartin seminar, and now that they are gone, I can honestly say I will never go to the Spa again - there is no worse place to spent a day of racing than that over-crowded, over-priced dump.
That place would look good in flames! With so many racks available nowadays, NYRA can kiss my *ss.

cj
05-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Tom,

Could you get to the point and tell us what you really think?...LOL.

CJ

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Seriously Tom, don't sugarcoat things anymore!!!

JustRalph
05-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Come out of your Shell!!!

You are right BTW

Dick Schmidt
05-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Guys,

Now don't push him. We all know Tom is very shy and has a hard time expressing himself. We don't want him to go back into his shell just when he is doing so well.

Keep punching, Tom.

Dick

freeneasy
05-15-2002, 12:39 AM
shhhh lets get him going again (shall we)(me),
Tomif brisnet tells the NYRA to kiss their high hinney, does the nyra have the clot to cut their nuts off, cause if I were Brisnet baggin all kinds of money and was asked to give it up, I'd start getting ready for a much stronger insisting on their part. you think Brisnet can start looking forward to an all out clash with the NYRA?

ranchwest
05-15-2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by freeneasy
shhhh lets get him going again (shall we)(me),
Tomif brisnet tells the NYRA to kiss their high hinney, does the nyra have the clot to cut their nuts off, cause if I were Brisnet baggin all kinds of money and was asked to give it up, I'd start getting ready for a much stronger insisting on their part. you think Brisnet can start looking forward to an all out clash with the NYRA?

This may all shake out that way eventually. If BRIS gives in to NYRA, then other tracks will probably follow suit, possibly with the demand to not accept wagers from their state at all. All the while, Magna is buying up tracks for television and wagering rights. This is going to be a big power struggle and it looks like the big losers will be handicappers.

Rodney King, where are you?

Tom
05-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Alright....you got me.
You guys will miss me when I hit the big one and retire!
~G~

gillenr
05-15-2002, 09:25 AM
It's always the MONEY! But, here it's also about control. NYRA, Magna, CDI, et al are losing control of us - the bettors. They all will make last desperate attempts at regaining the control they have frittered away - but it's irretrievable.

Figman
05-15-2002, 12:36 PM
As I understand this situation in NY, NYRA (and other NY racetracks-probably harness tracks) have agreements with TVG. These agreements do not include TVG taking the NY product and passing it through to other secondary providers (America TAB) that further goes on to pass the NY product onto providers like (BRISbet & TSNbet). If it did, then the NY product would have been available to all account wagering firms long ago. The regulator in New York(The Racing and Wagering Board) is insisting on their NY tracks having simulcast agreements with these secondary recipients OR at the very least, an addendum to the TVG contract providing for these secondary recipients to handle the NY product. This certainly seems reasonable to me and if this is the case, NYRA is simply following the State Racing Law as they should be.

Further, it is currently illegal in New York State to wager on the Internet. In New York Racing Law that I accessed at the site www.racing.state.ny.us in Section 1012 "account wagering by telephone" is all that is allowed. Now we all know that wagering by internet within NYS is a current practice as it is everywhere else, so maybe that is where another problem lies!

In any event, NYRA cannot be assessed all the blame here!

Tim
05-15-2002, 02:59 PM
My understanding is that NYRA pulled the plug at the request of the "NEW YORK STATE RACING AND WAGERING BOARD". The board takes the position that it is illegal for an account wagering service to offer betting to NY residients on NY tracks without it's approval.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/37245.html

Figman
05-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Tim, I don't read into the DRF article as you seem to do. It isn't only the New York bettors betting on New York races, rather it is anyone, anywhere using the New York races through a service not contracted with the New York racetrack like America TAB, BRISbet, Winticket or TSNbet.
It is common sense to me that a racetrack offering betting to anyone (not physically present on its property), thus via simulcast, have an agreement (contract) with the receiving entity. Contracts or agreements in place is how any business is conducted in the modern world. For America TAB to get the NYRA rights without contracting with NYRA seems contrary to me and not general business practice. And for BRISbet and TSNbet to get the NYRA rights from America TAB - who got the rights from TVG -also does not compute. At the very least, there should be something added to the original NYRA-TVG contract that America TAB may now have the rights AND that America TAB can sell their newly acquired rights to other account vendors. This is all missing from this scenario!