PDA

View Full Version : What are your best/worst 2 - 3 racetracks this year?

trying2win
07-08-2005, 02:59 PM
I was just curious in trying to compare some of the PA members best/worst tracks at which you've tested your handicapping knowledge at this year. More specifically, those tracks where you've tried your skills over a fairly lengthy test. The profitability or losses, along with win percentages would probably be some of the most obvious factors on where you would list your best/worst tracks.

Perhaps some of the tracks you've played this year have only shown slight losses. Then, with some slight adjustments to your approach, maybe there is some hope for future profitability yet this year.

--In 2005, my best tracks (so far) have been:

1. Northlands Park (my home track)...same top rating as last year.

2. Emerald Downs .....I showed losses at this track last year, but with a few adjusments, things have turned around nicely this year.

3. Hastings Park...Started out poorly this year, but changed my handicapping strategy and the results have getting better. There seems to be more hope at this track lately.

--Hmm...Is there a pattern here? It seems the northwestern tracks have given me the best reason for optimism so far.

In 2005, my worst tracks have been:

1. Hawthorne Park...Couldn't seem to get anything going here. Is on my "Don't play this track in the future" list.

2. Arlington Park...Ditto to comments about Hawthorne Park.

3. Hollywood Park...Inconsistent results. Real good for awhile, then long drought. Needs more review.

--Okay, over to the PA members. Let's see how some of you are doing this year at the various tracks.

Thanks,

T2W

Zman179
07-08-2005, 03:42 PM
So far for me, my best results have been at:

Freehold (harness): Have an ROI of +$1.75 there this year. Decided to only play races there where I have a strong opinion on either the trifecta and/or pick 3 and has paid off handsomely.

Philadelphia Park: This track always treats me nicely for some reason. Since 2001, I have an ROI at PHA of +$1.11.

Northfield Park: Was doing quite well there for a while, but haven't played recently due to my work schedule change and increased school work.

Finger Lakes: Have always done well there ever since I started playing horses 23 years ago. Was doing fine there when Ross Morton was calling the races. Since, he's taken a leave of absence to recover from heart surgery, some Jack Lamar wannabe has taken over the mic to cover for him, and I haven't won a dime there since. GET WELL ROSS!!!! :lol:

Balmoral/Hawthorne trotters: like bread & butter for me...too bad they start at 8:40 pm and I have to be in bed by 8.

And my party poopers:

Aqueduct/Belmont: Oh my God, my handicapping isn't working there for anything in the world. Would be easier for me to go on welfare than to bet here full time.

Arlington/Hawthorne flats: The only track that I've ever done fairly well at was Sportsman's. Now that that place is history, so are my days of winning in Chicago.

Beulah Park: Literally takes a gargantuan effort on my part to catch a place bet here. Beulah is to my bankroll as kryptonite is to Superman.

trying2win
07-08-2005, 04:35 PM
ZMAN,

I guess I should have been more specific in the title of the thread, as to how PA members are doing at the thoroughbred tracks. I've started another thread with a similar theme in the harness racing section. Nevertheless, I got a kick out of your humorous comments about some of your racetrack setbacks. You've got the right attitude. Helps to have a sense of humor, when things don't go our way at the tracks some days. I guess I should check out the shirt sales some days before I go play the horse races...LOL....

T2W

twindouble
07-08-2005, 04:37 PM
"Finger Lakes: Have always done well there ever since I started playing horses 23 years ago. Was doing fine there when Ross Morton was calling the races. Since, he's taken a leave of absence to recover from heart surgery, some Jack Lamar wannabe has taken over the mic to cover for him, and I haven't won a dime there since. GET WELL ROSS!!!! :lol: "

How about it! Without Ross calling the races it's like someone tore out the heart of the track, hope it heals soon, it's a strange feeling that's for sure. Love the track have always done well there.

Sense I've been wagering on line the only two tracks that give me a tough time were Santa Anita and Hollywod Park, those two drove me nuts, was always in the hunt but dam it I couldn't connect. First time in many years my bankroll was in jeopardy so I bailed out. Tempted to try again though. Mountaineer was another one that I had trouble with but I gave it a second try and it's working out Ok.

At one time, Rockingham was very good to me but no more thoroughbreds there. The others are Belmont, Aqueduct, but the winter meet has been always been touch and go.

cj
07-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Best:

River Downs, Hollywood, Churchill

Worst:

Louisiana, Philadelphia, Delaware

motorhead
07-08-2005, 04:58 PM
the worst for me has been Fairmount Park

Lone Star has also been disppointing

while the ohio circuit (Beulah, Thistledown, River downs) and the southwest (Albuquerque, Yavapai, Turf Paradise) have been excellent

sjk
07-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Probably means something but I am not sure what.

Lad and Del are the top two on my list with Pha at #6 (in between are Tam, Kee and WO).

My worst include AP, LS and Bel and CD.

Zman179
07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
ZMAN,

I guess I should have been more specific in the title of the thread, as to how PA members are doing at the thoroughbred tracks. I've started another thread with a similar theme in the harness racing section. Nevertheless, I got a kick out of your humorous comments about some of your racetrack setbacks. You've got the right attitude. Helps to have a sense of humor, when things don't go our way at the tracks some days. I guess I should check out the shirt sales some days before I go play the horse races...LOL....

T2W

I had a feeling that you might want it to be breed specific, that's why I tried to mix it up with trotters & flats. While I know that Freehold is nowhere near being a thoroughbred track, I had to include it considering that I'm up 175% there since January 1.

How about it! Without Ross calling the races it's like someone tore out the heart of the track, hope it heals soon, it's a strange feeling that's for sure. Love the track have always done well there.

You are NOT kidding about Ross Morton. It just doesn't sound nor feel the same without his calls. I certainly hope he feels better and gets back to work soon...because I won't bet another dime there until he returns. The assistant announcer there is putrid.

kingfin66
07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Best: Hollywood, Emerald, River

Worst: Belmont

Can't wait for: Saratoga, Del Mar

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Best- Stockton and Emerald Downs.
Worst- Belmont, Hollywood.

JohnGalt1
07-09-2005, 10:26 AM
So far this year I'm up at Canterbury and wiped out my previous years losses at Oaklawn ($1200).

All other tracks are losers between $100-$300.

Slightly down for the year.

I'm looking forward to going to Canterbury on the 16th for the claiming Crown.

tonto1944
07-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Best Belmont and Aquaduct

Worst Monmouth and Philly
Monmouth mainly because I can't get it in my head that just because a horse runs good at Belmont does not mean it will run good at Monmouth. The main reason is the tight turns at Monmouth esspcially on the turf. And Philly because the next step is the glue farm and dog food can. Well actually you have to add Mountaineer with Philly. These 2 tracks are for Mules.

joeyspicks
07-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Best: Aqu/Belmont Monmouth

(2nd tier) Philly Mountaineer Suffolk (home track)

Worst: Calder Churchill Hawthorne

by far my worst (havent played in years): finger lakes/ fort erie

up/down : Hollywood Lone Star

Vegas711
07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Best ---Mountaineer , LAD, Fairgrounds, EVD ,have many races with winners over 5-1

Worst Delta downs, when i played it very chalk like.

Nickle
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I just bet the NY circuit and stick to home team capping

Definately a good way to bet sticking with your home tracks and getting to learn meet

Bubbles
07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
TRACKS aren't really a peeve of mine, but I cannot stand Calder shippers. You see fairly high-level 6f races there going anywhere from 1:13-1:16, and for the slightly speed-oriented handicapping system I use, it's hell, because you're tricked into think the horse will run 1:13-1:16, especially when he doesn't have a work over the track. You think he's going to get beat by ten lengths. Then you wonder why he's 5/2, and THEN he wires the field, leaving your top pick in the dust. The opposite end of the spectrum is true, also; a horse can win five straight at Calder in decent times before shipping elsewhere, and looking like he's having a heart attack down the stretch at the new track. It's an occurance that happens at Saratoga every so often, and it bugs the heck out of me.