PDA

View Full Version : SEABISCUIT

Lefty
05-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Laura Hillenbrand has written a wonderful book that captures the late 30's and the horseracing milieu perfectly. This is the unlikely, but true, story of 3 unlikely individuals; a washed up jockey, a refugee from a vanishing frontier, a former bicycle mechanic who had parlayed 21 cents into an automotive fortune and a runt of a horse who had already lost over 40 races. Somehow, fate conspired for all these unlikely roads to come together and converge and propel Seabiscuit into history. Ms. Hillenbrand makes you live the story with her masterful tratment of it, and it had me on an emotional roller-coaster. I laughed and cried, often at the same time. If you haven't read it, you should.
Ms. Hillenbrand won an Eclipse award for Seabiscuit and deservedly so.

superfecta
05-14-2002, 09:14 PM
The book is on its way to being made into a movie.i hope it is well made,conveying the tone of the book.But I doubt it.If it is well recieved,hollywood will jump on the horseplayer train.Any film genre that is popular usually gets several films.Like this year having several war movies(Behind enemy lines,Once we were soldiers,Blackhawk down ,etc..)

Lefty
05-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Yeah, Hollywood's famous for taking a 4 star book and making a 1 star movie.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2002, 09:57 PM
I read that Gary Stevens is the frontrunner to play the washed-up jockey (I can't remember his name at this moment....)

I kid you not....

==PA

freeneasy
05-15-2002, 12:04 AM
A number of years ago I rented a movie about and titlled Pharlap. Great movie, thourghly enjoying,and wellworth watching. If youve never seen it on the shelf thats probably because it was made some time ago, didnt get the big hype or make any kind of a big splash, but its out there and probably not to hard to find. You'll see how the racing board ruled the roost and how they tried to rule and destroy this absolutely magnificent animal, and-but, could not. Truely a great story, a great horse, and a film well done.

Now Seabiscuit, thats just a name that when I first heard it, never forgot it, Idont know, maybe hearing two words like sea and biscuit being thrown together to describe a thought made me kinda wonder " gee I wonder what a seabisciut would taste like, sounds good, kinda like somethin that would go good with crab cakes, ya know, ( yeah we know, rrrrright)

But Iam sure the history of Seabiscuit is a fabulous one and if the producers/directors treat this horse as part of, what was then a great love of American horseracing partial to that era, then maybe we'll get to see a great American movie, about a great American horse in a great American era.

free