PDA

View Full Version : Personal Software Help

sq764
05-14-2002, 09:35 AM
I was hoping some people that have written personal software could help me out. I would like to integrate my handicapping processes into a more automated system for my own use. I think with the factors I use, it shouldn't be too difficult. I do not want a 'black box' per se, but rather something that cuts down the amount of time I have to spend doing it randomly.

If anyone has done this successfully for themself, please let me know how you went about it, the system(s) you used and if you were able to automate it to use data files.

Please email me here or at 'sq764@aol.com'

Thanks
Scott

NormanTD
05-14-2002, 10:50 AM
Scott You made no mention of your experience with programming therefore I'm assuming you have none so.......................

I think by far the simplest thing to do would be to use BRIS or TSN single file formate files, parse them out with INFOTRAN (free from BRIS) to make them smaller and more managable, import them into a spreadsheet and just write formula's for the numbers you want to crunch.

sq764
05-14-2002, 11:02 AM
Well, the only thing that throws a wrench into that idea is that I want to be able to select the paceline I want..

sq764
05-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Where can I find this Infotran? I looked on Bris and couldn't find it..

Handle
05-14-2002, 11:34 AM
sq764,

I mention this because it might save you some time.

I'm currently re-vising the Fractions view of EquiSim to make it into a Formula view. Essentially, this will allow you to create a view with columns and rows (a spreadsheet).

Each column will be data from a customizable formula that has access to all of the data on the card that EquiSim currently has access to, including individual horse fractions, simulation finish position, trainer name, horse name, etc., ad nauseum.

Each row will represent a performance by a horse, color coded by horse saddle cloth color if desired as per the current Fractions view. You'll be able to filter these performances by such factors as:

* The age of the past performance (in days from the current race). I.E. pp must be no older than 90 days, no younger than 30.

* The type of race the past performance was from -- only dirt, only turf, only route, etc..

* The pace line selected in EquiSim's Form view.

* others.

You'll also be able to export the fields in the Formula view to delimited files.

If this sounds like it might fit your needs you should send me an e-mail at nmiseroc@golganooza.com with a more specific example of the type of formula you need to implement -- I'll let you know if the first version of what I'm doing will be able to tackle it.

-Nathan

NormanTD
05-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Nathan's idea most certainly beats my idea of INFOTRAN and a spreadsheet and Nathan is a top notch sort of person so I recommend corresponding with him a bit.

(I think INFOTRAN is located in the Library section at BRIS)

Just checked and you can find it at

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=utils

Tom
05-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Handle
sq764,

Essentially, this will allow you to create a view with columns and rows (a spreadsheet).

Each column will be data from a customizable formula that has access to all of the data on the card that EquiSim currently has access to, including individual horse fractions, simulation finish position, trainer name, horse name, etc., ad nauseum.

-Nathan

This will be a great addition to the program.
Is it ready yet?
Is it reay yet?
Is it ready yet?
~G~

JustRalph
05-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Damn....I am just learning to use the last Version!!!!

But keep it up buddy.........every time you change something my ROI goes up!!!!

Larry Hamilton
05-16-2002, 09:44 AM
NOrman, both ideas are great ideas and they are not exclusive. You can use the download to feed Nathans program. You can also use the SAME download to feed your own program. IT is the beauty of Nathan's system-- Reuseable data

Handle
05-16-2002, 08:50 PM
To answer Tom -- in a little bit. Unless my fishin' habit gets the better of me....

JustRalph -- if I get too many features I'm going to have to hire your support people to teach folks how to use them!!!

And Larry, you should like the new stuff. When it gets ready it will be able to dump data from the fields/EquiSim program out into a comma delimited file. Perfect for all of the crazy database stuff you do (crazy used in the most endearing of ways, naturally).

-N