PDA

View Full Version : Foggy might route before year end

keilan
07-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Guys -- here's a little snippet from Gilchrist today on "Lost In The Fog". View complete article over at DRF.

"The Breeders' Cup Sprint doesn't have to happen," said Gilchrist. "I'm pretty old-school when it comes to running 3-year-olds against older horses, although the Breeders' Cup is not until late October, so it's a little easier to do at that time of the year. But I'd also really like to try him in a route race once before we give him a break for the winter, just to get a better idea where we stand when trying to plan his campaign for next season. Everything kind of jumped up and happened so fast this year, we didn't really have an opportunity to plan things too far in advance."

KingChas
07-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Be very interesting to see what type of route race they enter him in first.What will he be eligible for?

kenwoodallpromos
07-07-2005, 02:04 AM
I say Oaktree turf route!

andicap
07-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Well the easiest route would be a one-turn 8.5f or 9f race at Belmont. 7f horses stretch out there all the time. But that wouldn't really be a true test of Foggy's route capabilities. For that, he needs a two-turn route. He could still do well if he wins a field without much early ability.

Interesting that Gilchrist might skip the BC. While we'd love to see him compete in the sprint of course, that might be a good thing for the horse and its owners in the long run because Foggy will be in better shape for the winter stakes races. A grueling BC race might sideline him until spring or even summer if something went wrong.

Gilchrist has consistently done the right thing by his horse. He's trainer of the year as far as I'm concerned (tied with Richey) for not putting Lost in the Triple Crown meat grinder.

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2005, 04:00 AM
He's trainer of the year as far as I'm concerned (tied with Richey) for not putting Lost in the Triple Crown meat grinder.

And if he (LITF) turns out to be the second coming of Ghostzapper when stretched out, then what kind of award should we give Gilchrist?

The Bobby Frankel "Oops, my bad" award?

andicap
07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
And if he (LITF) turns out to be the second coming of Ghostzapper when stretched out, then what kind of award should be give Gilchrist?

The Bobby Frankel "Oops, my bad" award?

So you're saying he would have screwed up just for being careful with his horse? He's just listening to his breeding. Gilchrist has been extremely responsible.

KingChas
07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
So you're saying he would have screwed up just for being careful with his horse? He's just listening to his breeding. Gilchrist has been extremely responsible.

This horse in no way compares with Frankels handling of GZ-(11 races in 4) years.This is LITF's 6th start of 2005.Presumably sprint races take more out of a horse than routes.BTW,my question is what type of route race do you 1st run him in class wise?Grade 1-2-3?Or an Alw/smaller stakes (If Eligible) ?

Dr. Carter
07-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Is he Breeders cup nominated or would he have to be supplemented?

Tee
07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Is he Breeders cup nominated or would he have to be supplemented?

I do not believe LITF is nominated to the Breeders Cup.

Macdiarmadillo
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Gilchrist may also just be talking about running a mile.

Gilchrist is also a master of speaking but not saying much/not tipping his hand, so take his comments like the above with a grain of salt.

rrbauer
07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
They can write an overnight allowance or a restricted stakes for him at 1M or 1 1/16M that would exclude any 2-turn monsters. I bet there's a bunch of racing secretaries who would do that if given a heads-up before their condition books get printed. I thought in his last race that he was hooked pretty good coming off the turn and he just kept on truckin'. He's a Timex for sure!

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2005, 08:32 PM

No, where did I say that? I'm saying he would have shortchanged the horse some potential glory....that's all...

PaceAdvantage
07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
This horse in no way compares with Frankels handling of GZ-(11 races in 4) years.This is LITF's 6th start of 2005.

I was of course referring to Frankel waiting forever to try Ghostzapper at a distance of ground....but at least he had some sort of excuse....he had a couple of other big time distance horses in the barn (Empire Maker and Peace Rules)