PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Derby

BIG RED
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Any opinions on the new format for this years HD monday? They choose a player from different countries. I'm not crazy about it, and I'm not what you would call a traditionalist, but just like they way they used to do it with the best big bats in the league.

Bubbles
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm for it, so long as they provide sluggers we know, not guys from random countries that hit .240, with 5 homers and 20 RBI's up to the All-Star break. Give me people that deserve to be there, and I'll watch. If you can get a diverse theme out of it, fantastic, but don't go trying to promote diversity when there's no substance to back it up.

kenwoodallpromos
07-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Who decided that? Supreme Court, are ACLU?
Should be the leading home run hitters.
I think foreigners in MLB are doing fine without affirmative action.

BIG RED
07-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Bubbles, you start out you are all for it, so long as......

What you say is what I sort of did. Don't change it? Let the big bats hit, don't go looking for someone else because we have to fill the spot.

Valuist
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
A steroid-free Ivan Rodriguez? That's a joke. He's hit 5 home runs this year. He appears to be 25-30 pounds lighter than last year.

Bubbles
07-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Bubbles, you start out you are all for it, so long as......

What you say is what I sort of did. Don't change it? Let the big bats hit, don't go looking for someone else because we have to fill the spot.

What I was trying to say was that the format doesn't sound bad. However, they need substance to really see if it works. This is a new thing this year, and substance is needed to provide the ultimate acid test.

Here's what I thought was mildly amusing: On Around the Horn on ESPN, they suggested Manny Ramirez to step up and replace Derrek Lee for the U.S. side.

Isn't Manny from the Dominican or someplace?