PDA

View Full Version : Improve Your Handicapping by becoming a Horse

bucktron
07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Becoming a Horse

1. Buy a stop watch ($5 to $10 dollar investment).

2. Get some comfortable Walking or Tennis shoes and Jogging cloths.

3. Select a distance (this will be your recorded race distance), a circuit (this will be you track), and a time of the day you are comfortable with.

4. Select your method of exercise (running, jogging, walking).

5. Walk, run, or jog attempting to do the best you can possibly without physically over excreting yourself (this will be the equivalent of you Racing Form Races).

6. Run your race (Step 5) one, two or three times a week or whatever you are comfortable with.

7. Record the Date, Time, Temperature, Weather Conditions, Your Final Time and Notes (very important) on how you felt during your Race.

8. Create any distance, speed, and method for your WORKOUTS between your official races (Step 5) and record your workouts the same as you record your races in Step 7.

9. You are now the TRAINER and the HORSE.

10. After a few weeks it will be apparent what brings you up to a big effort. You will have a greater appreciation for the Horse and Trainer. You will undoubtly be able to relate better to what the Trainer is trying to do and how the Horse may feel. Combined with your normal handicapping regiment, this can be a powerful weapon in your arsenal. If not, you will probably feel better and better health should lead to a clearer mind and thus better handicapping.

Good luck and good handicapping to all, Bucktron

Dave Schwartz
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Bucktron,

Interesting idea.

And, btw, where have you been? Seems like I haven't seen your name in quite awhile.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

socantra
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
My wife says I'm part of a horse already and that particular piece has provided me with no insights at all. Do you think working on the other end would improve my sensitivity?

socantra...

NoDayJob
07-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Bucktron,

Interesting idea.

And, btw, where have you been? Seems like I haven't seen your name in quite awhile.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

:D He's been shipped all over the country, pretending to be a horse. He'll be at your local track soon. Check for times at DRF. :D

NDJ

Dick Schmidt
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
When he lived near Santa Anita in Arcadia, author Jim Quinn took your idea even further. When the track was dark or not being used, he would do his running on the racetrack itself. He told me that he was amazed how different it felt from day to day. He assumed any differences in the surface would be undetectable to a slow human (as opposed to a world class equine athlete) but that was not the case. Wonder if anyone else has ever tried this over a period of time?

Dick

" Run and find out "

...Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

kev
07-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I've been thinking about getting back into running, and this next time and others should time yourself going wide around the track, maybe time yourself on the inside and then maybe 3 path out and then 5 path out ( I don't think you should do that all in one day, cause you will be tired after couple times ) I know trouble is hard to measure, but also maybe while your running stop or slow down for a second or two and then start to see how much it impact your time. What about adding weight to yourself?? These things would have to be tested many times not just once.

andicap
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
i absolutely refuse to take Lasix.....but a milkshake, THAT I can deal with. (A real one, not the baking soda).

And don't try this with harness racing

On second thought they already have. They're called rickshaws.

kenwoodallpromos
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Alameda is my circuit; I will use your idea since my ciruiot has asphalt, sidewalk, grass, dirt paths, deep dry sand, and wet sand! If I wade out it is close to muddy!

joeyspicks
07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
LOL:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok......but dont even try putting blinkers on me...:ThmbDown:

twindouble
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
LOL:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok......but dont even try putting blinkers on me...:ThmbDown:

You guys cracked me up! I wouldn't run the track unless that ambulence was keeping pace with me.

kev
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Maybe get your kids or wife to jump on your back with a whip and see if you respond to a little crack of it or if you'll pick it up somewhat if they just show it to you.

fishorsechess
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Mark Cramer tried to explain pace by relating it to humans running
in races. Maybe asking "Mr Ed" is a better idea...a talking horse and
asking him.

Zman179
07-06-2005, 07:05 PM
No friggin' way that I will do this.

There is no shot in hell that I will run down a street with a 110 lb. man on my back flailing away at me with a whip.

Tom
07-06-2005, 10:37 PM
i absolutely refuse to take Lasix.....but a milkshake, THAT I can deal with. (A real one, not the baking soda).

And don't try this with harness racing

On second thought they already have. They're called rickshaws.

Actually, I am on lasix - doctor's prescription. I don't run like a race horse, but I do someting ELSE like a race horse! ( I can sprint better - especially if I wander too far from a men's room!) I am a good gate boy these days. :D

Sundown
07-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm past racing prime, but not getting anything in stud fees either, glad not to be living to close to the reclaim factories.

nomadpat
07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd get scratched on advice of the track vetenarian ;)

KingChas
07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Ran my last race 17 years ago.Got claimed -been waiting to get out of prison ever since................... :bang: :D

kev
07-07-2005, 12:31 AM
As long as anyone hasnt said they've been gleded from their last start.

KingChas
07-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Actually, I am on lasix - doctor's prescription. I don't run like a race horse, but I do someting ELSE like a race horse! ( I can sprint better - especially if I wander too far from a men's room!) I am a good gate boy these days. :D

Tom, please remember all horses must hose off hoofs before entering the track! :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
07-07-2005, 02:11 AM
I live in the SF area, running with the herd is automatic.
I am currently observing when and if certain horses are just running in company or really competing when racing. Starting not to like ones that miss by less than a length a lot.