PDA

View Full Version : Older horses

kenwoodallpromos
07-05-2005, 11:34 PM
I would like to suggest that thoroughbred dirt or turf route races be carded for horses (or mares) aged 7 years and up. The possible benefits are to:

Horses: Racing 3 or 4 times per year would alleviate some costs to last owner of their retirement if all starters got a payment, to insure a healthy and secure life after a normal racing career and lessen the chances of adverse disposition of the animal when healthy.

Track: Could card more races with more horses and increase betting if horses are known by the bettors.

Bettors: More variety in type of race; more unpredictability due to less races run by the horse, resulting in bigger payoffs; the stamina factor in handicapping the race would regain importance.

Purses: The race could be a mid-level claimer or lower level handicap; all starters would receive a payment; In addition to winners' share, the track would contribute $1,000.00 to a track fund for advanced equine medical diagnostic equipment and rehabilitation equipment, in the owner's name, to be housed at the track and for free use by all trainers and authorized vets for racers and ponies.

hurrikane
07-06-2005, 12:22 AM
have them at MNR and CT all the time.

:D

ryesteve
07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
While there are some worthy goals in this idea, as a bettor, I'm not really interesting in trying to dope out a race where every horse is coming back off a layoff.

freeneasy
07-06-2005, 04:49 PM
could be fun. iam sure the horsemen out there would like it. why not.

hurrikane
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't think you could get enough 7 -12yo horses at one time to fill fields on a regular basis.

Tom
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Come to Finger Lakes....we could offer 10 yos and up!

One year, we could have filled a whole race with 13,14,15 yos!

Or how about conditions like...NW1 5 years.
Or, NW1 since DRF starting keeping stats!

JustRalph
07-06-2005, 11:12 PM
While there are some worthy goals in this idea, as a bettor, I'm not really interesting in trying to dope out a race where every horse is coming back off a layoff.

I see you have never played Kentucky Downs, Colonial or Tampa early in the meet?

kenwoodallpromos
07-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I checked July 2-4 at AP, Hol, CRC, Bel, and CD; looks like most of the older winners are from South America.
In Norther Ca, summer would be for dirt routes, and BM and GGF would have turf races. Most I assume would be stabled privately, like the racing mules are now for the fairs. (Here come the comparisons!)

ryesteve
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I see you have never played Kentucky Downs, Colonial or Tampa early in the meet?
Heck, I don't even like playing the first week of the Belmont fall meeting, because there are too many horses who didn't bother to make the trip upstate.

CryingForTheHorses
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I really dont think they should have these kind of races, It may be fun some times but when u have a older class horse running with 3 and 4yo's you sort of get the edge if the class horse is dropped down to where he can win and the races are easy on him.Most times when you have the older class horse in a cheap claiming race, The class horse will win.
Most cheap races have a few old class horses running, Thats why the times are very fast.

kenwoodallpromos
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
There can still be 3 or 4 and ups; I was thinking "retired" healthy horses could come back and run, like mules or other breeds do in Ca. Extra horses available who may not be currently running. The PP's would show what they can do upon returning.

BarnieClockerbigal
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Our broodmare Itbaya beat on her youngers when she was 9 YO
"only" won 3 times from 13 starts.

she was some runner (and now a terrific Broodie)

she took on all comers. Last win at Lone Star was a thing to behold as she split hosses late to get up. :cool: