PDA

View Full Version : Do you care what happens to NYRA?

highnote
07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Just curious about people's feelings toward the NYRA situation.

So here are my questions:

Do you care about what happens to NYRA? Yes or No.

If Yes. Why?

If No. Why?

Thanks.

I'll go first... I guess I don't really care because there will be racing in NY no matter what happens. I hope there will be more competition as a result.

Now, I may be wrong to feel this way, so I'm open to responses.

Kreed
07-05-2005, 09:46 PM
YES I DO because I LOVE NY Racing. and the wrong Move could end it all.
OTOH, maybe its boring to many here & for that, let me aplogize for PA,
who has relentlessly offered his (often) long opinions. ps: I JUST WANTED
TO PROVIDE THE NYRA BUSINESS MODEL.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I have no allegiance to nyra,as they have bungled their responsibility for a long time .Yes the state is quilty also in their disregard of the facts available to change with the times and make the New York racing game the best in the business.

In NYRA tracks you deal with some rude clerks,misleading and inaccurate racing information,:bang: numerous scandels and a host of other difficulties that any other paying customer in any other business would not be subjected.

I still attend the races, though not as freguently as in the past, the main reason is that i love the game and an occasional visit to Belmont and beautiful Saratoga is a fullfilling experience despite the perpetual problems.

Dancer's Image
07-05-2005, 10:44 PM
On a theoretical level, I care that all people/organizations are treated fairly. But on a personal level, I don't really care because I live so far from NY that I will probably never go there, and as long as there is racing from NY that's all I care about.

I want the sport of racing to thrive and prosper and I have some reservations about these huge corporations buying up all the tracks and forming a monopoly.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-06-2005, 12:07 AM
For what its worth, I would expect the mutuel clerks to remain the same no matter who runs the franchise, since they are unionized. I wouldn't expect them to suddenly bring in hundreds of new tellers because NYRA does or doesn't hold the franchise.

I imagine many of the on-track workers and many racing officials will also stay the same, just from the point of people being available to do the job. I cant attend the races in NY, but I'd assume the same food service, and maybe the same racing clerks, etc. would still be working there because they already would be available and know their jobs.

I would not expect changes in on-air or TV talent, nor the tecnical and mutuel departments, etc.

I imagine any of the bigger changes would come within the management ranks and the power structure itself. Who calls the shots, makes the decisions, etc. The big movers, shakers, power brokers, etc. Maybe even a few of them might be asked to stay on, esp. if they have expertise and knowledge and a record of running a particular department well.

But the day to day product that people see and the people they deal with, I doubt would change, at least not drastically. Just because the track may not have a NYRA name on it in the future doesn't mean the admissions and mutuel clerks, hot dog ladies and program sellers and ushers and parking attendants, and TV people and coverage will change.

Just my opinion and prediction.

highnote
07-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Steve Stat Man,

That's kind of my feeling too. Even if NYRA goes away, the people who you mention will not. Seems to me Belmont, Saratoga, AQU are like all other racetracks -- even when it comes to politics.

andicap
07-06-2005, 05:22 AM
Yes, because the next franchisee could be even worse.

Is it NYRA's fault that Belmont has such short fields this meet? I don't know. That's a question I'd like to see addressed. But although I take the NYRA "scandals" a bit more seriously than most people here I really haven't seen how they have affected my own play.
NYRA has lobbied for the lowest takeout rate in the country for WPS bets and is saddled (through its own disastrous short-sighed anti-OTB strategies of the early '70s) with one of the few OTBs that competes with the tracks.

I'm on the fence as to whether NYRA's should gets ifs franchise renewed, but you're going to have to really show me how a new owner will do even better and actually fulfill all the promises they will throw at the state.

Churchill? Anyone see Hollywood Park these days?

Magna? Pimlico is a mess and while Maryland needs slots badly to compete with neighboring states, I hate to turn the racing over to a company that is basically involved in the game in order to run slot macines. At least NYRA never threatened to sell or abandon its tracks if it didn't get slots.

hurrikane
07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
They have managed to keep the best racing in the nation in NY.

I haven't seen that anywhere else.

For all their problems I don't think they should booted.

Suff
07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Thinking out loud.

I think NYRA should be restructured. Because I plan on being a Fan of NY racing, and of betting NY racing, I do care what happens to it.

I believe it should be Overhauled & Privatized As far as people I know that are employed directly or indirectly with NYRA, I care about thier future. However beyond that, I do not care if NYRA the entity is disolved. It is time to build a better boat.

With that said.. and I'm just thinking out loud. If I was NYRA, and I truly believed in my Horse racing product as they say they do. I'd sacrifice a Large chunk of the slots, for unprecedented autonomy in running T-breds.

No running to legislators when They want change things like Takeout, SIMO agreements, Rebates, Player Rewards, and any other area they feel would grow the Horse side of the business. That's probably a deal Spritzer will make.

Pataki isn't going to run, Spritzer is probably the Next Governer and NYRA needs to come to grips with that reality as well

ryesteve
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I care in the sense that I'm not unhappy with the product... compared to the way other tracks are run, I don't have any serious complaints. From my perspective, I don't have any reason to welcome a change.

rrbauer
07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I believe that all bureaucratic institutions in NY and elsewhere need a periodic enema. It's NYRA's turn!

Kreed
07-07-2005, 07:49 PM
okay my BIGGEST fear of NYRA is that they shut off TV access to THEIR product. IOWS, we are FUC*ED. If NYRA is given a 3rd chance to Exist,
then I would make them say "YES, we will give our signal willingly for a fair
price." IF they don't agree to that, then 'go baby go' (Sigh-A-Nora).

Tom
07-07-2005, 08:31 PM
It is easy to sit on the sidelines and make broad statements as to how NYRA should do things, like the pols are lining up to do. But it is NYRA's butt on the line when something doesn't work. Pols like to hear themselves talk and very few ever contribute anyhting. NYRA has the best product in the country, in spit e of the pols, not because of them.
Whenever you hear a politician tell you is going to look out for your best interests, lock up your daughters and don't bend over.

depalma13
07-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Magna? Pimlico is a mess and while Maryland needs slots badly to compete with neighboring states, I hate to turn the racing over to a company that is basically involved in the game in order to run slot macines. At least NYRA never threatened to sell or abandon its tracks if it didn't get slots.

I don't think Magna poured $200 million into Gulfstream and $50 into Prairie Meadows for slots. One situation in a state that doesn't care about it's horse racing industry, shouldn't make you paint them with a broad brush. I'd much rather have Magna running the tracks than Churchill. The difference between Gulfstream and Calder is night and day. Magna is run by a man who at least loves horse racing.

andicap
07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't think Magna poured $200 million into Gulfstream and $50 into Prairie Meadows for slots. One situation in a state that doesn't care about it's horse racing industry, shouldn't make you paint them with a broad brush. I'd much rather have Magna running the tracks than Churchill. The difference between Gulfstream and Calder is night and day. Magna is run by a man who at least loves horse racing.

Do you think Magna's plan for GP would work without slots there?
I'm not saying tracks don't need slots to compete -- look at MNR/CT, etc. But at least NYRA is all about the racing.

I share your dislike of Churchill, but as a public company I'm sure it is limited as far as how much capex it can pour into the tracks. Just like Magna.

Why would I want a public company which has to worry about making a profit -- and not just any profit, but a significant profit to satisfy shareholders -- when I can have a non-profit corporation that doesn't have to worry about its next quarter. At least NYRA has the luxury of thinking long-term, unlike the debt-laden Magna and Churchill.

Shareholders are a demanding lot and they won't want to hear about how you need to lower takeout or increase purses or fix the barns if analysts are screaming to cut costs.