PDA

View Full Version : The Master Magician

MANOWAR
07-04-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking about buying The Master Magician, but before I shell out $500 for it what I'd like to know is what your impressions are before I buy it?

ratpack
07-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Well there are alot more people better versed than me on it but my quick impression is that it is not an every race software.

You need to look for GAPS in the ratings that spots a potential live horse and then go to work on that horse to see if that horse is the real thing in that race.

If you are looking for a Black Box keep on looking.

kingfin66
07-04-2005, 10:42 PM
If you do a search, you will find lots of info. Search by terms, TMM, Handicapping Magic, Pizzolla, The Master Magician. There has been plenty written by myself and others about the program. If you want, I will be happy to reply in more detail offline if you ask me specific types of questions and tell me what you are looking for in a methodology. I would also recommend that you read Pizzolla's book, Handicapping Magic, for info about the methodology. There may be people here that offer you a free copy - seriously.

I definitely agree with what Chris (ratpack) said. It is definitely not an every race program.

Wickel
07-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Right after I read the book "Handicapping Magic," I purchased the software recommended--"The Handicapping Magician." I really haven't put enough time into it yet, but I don't hear much about it in this forum. All the talk is about TMM or TMH. Is THM pretty much worthless? Is it time to upgrade?

MANOWAR
07-05-2005, 07:21 PM
I can't tell you if HM is totally worthless or not because I really don't know. As for whether or not it's time for an upgrade I can't honestly say because I've never owned the HM software. I don't know how much it differs from TMM. You still might be able to get some use out of the HM that you won't need an upgrade.

ratpack
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Right after I read the book "Handicapping Magic," I purchased the software recommended--"The Handicapping Magician." I really haven't put enough time into it yet, but I don't hear much about it in this forum. All the talk is about TMM or TMH. Is THM pretty much worthless? Is it time to upgrade?

If you are going to get serious you should upgrade because it will save you lots and lots of work. TMM does all the calulations for you for both the two excuse and LASST mode

You need to ask someone who has the ValueTech if that is worth the extra money.

MANOWAR
07-05-2005, 08:39 PM
What is ValueTech?

ratpack
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
What is ValueTech?

Go to posttimedaily.com and check out the Handicapping Magic family of products. That will give you an overview of the features.

acorn54
07-05-2005, 09:39 PM
if you go to amazon.com you can get customer reviews of the book, "handicapping magic".
acorn

hurrikane
07-05-2005, 11:49 PM
let see.

how old is it.

when is the last time they came up with an original idea

get some software from somewhere up here. jcapper, cj, I'll say htr because I use it but other than that...use something original

MHO

joeyspicks
07-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Why? Why do you want to pay $500 for this software? Is there a SPECIFIC reason?? I suggest you could do much better for less.

1) HTR........(BEST PRICE)......... FREE

a TON of information on the site from Ken Massa. $119/ month for all the downloading you want (some of the best info on the planet)

2) Jcapper

A terrific program for I think $200 plus. Ablity to program your own UDM's

3)Synergism again FREE with a 2 month purchase of HDW

4)NetCapper $400 ( or as little as $18/mo) uses HDW and has tons of great features

5) HSH $600 plus I have never used it.....but research the comments on this site. Its pretty obvious it is awesome software. Dave Schwartz also has good information on his site (good books too!)

6. Thorobrain
7) Maxcapper

you get my point I hope. AGAIN WHY?? Is there a SPECIFIC reason for wanting to go back to the Master Magician? There is a lot of good software out there. Read the reviews on this site. Some of these guys give in depth observations which can lead to you picking something right for you.

ratpack
07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
A couple of points I would give the guy.

I would look around for a used copy and the tapes on ebay before I spent $500.

I know one reason lots of people like TMM is because you don't have the monthly download costs and you do not have to build a database. So if you want to do 2 tracks one day that is $3.

If you do plan to be a everyday guy than a monthly DL may be right and some other software maybe better for you.

Remember it is not just the software it is the amount of work that is required to work the software so you need something that you are going to be comfortable with.

So before you plunk down any money, check out all the ones Joeyspicks suggested and anyothers

MANOWAR
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
What I forgot to mention was that I already have TMM. I didn't buy it. Michael P gave me a 30 day trial at no cost to me. After using TMM for 2 weeks now I've decided to send it back to Post Time. It doesn't work for me. IMO, when Michael and Eric designed TMM, I believe they designed it for the exotic player which I'm not. I've never made a profit playing the exotics. I'm strictly a win bet player.

ratpack
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
What I forgot to mention was that I already have TMM. I didn't buy it. Michael P gave me a 30 day trial at no cost to me. After using TMM for 2 weeks now I've decided to send it back to Post Time. It doesn't work for me. IMO, when Michael and Eric designed TMM, I believe they designed it for the exotic player which I'm not. I've never made a profit playing the exotics. I'm strictly a win bet player.

Well you confused the hell out of me. Why would you want to buy it again :confused: :confused: :confused:

MANOWAR
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I never bought TMM to begin with. Michael P gave me a 30 day trial. He hasn't charged me anything for using it.

To begin with I did everything backwards. Instead of looking at all the posts and replies regarding TMM first to give me some idea as to what I'd be dealing with, I somehow convinced Michael to give me a trial with TMM.

I've been using TMM for 2 weeks now and it just isn't working for me. I just have to find another program that will work with my style of play.

ratpack
07-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Well what is your style of play?

Myself I am a lazy handicapper or to put a positive spin on it a "Back end" handicapper. I cannot spend 7 to 8 hrs at the track or sports book then go home and spend and try to DL and study 5 to 8 tracks for the next day.

So a program that works for me is All in One #6 the positive for that is it is excellent for win betting and P3 and P4 but terrible for exotics. It is also very easy to use and only 1 screen to deal with if you are lazy like me.

Another program that would fit my "Back end" style of play would seem to be JC CAPPER, I would not mind doing my "DATA MINING" on the off days or nights and then looking for those nuggets on race days.

Blackgold
07-06-2005, 09:23 PM
The program provides a quick way to get at some high priced contenders, the probable pace set-up and using value tech, the probable over bets and under bets.

The form cycle windows provide a clue as to how the runner may perform today, even though better numbers are in the past.

The PPF in and of itself is just like the book says, the handicapper's secret weapon.

The Fulcrum often comes in the money, thus lowering your exotic bet structure, even when using many runners.

Overall, the training material presents a logical, profitable way to take a race apart or to know when to sit on your hands.

Do a search by my handle and you'll see other examples of my opinions and some monster scores.

I'll happily fork over another $500 this year for any software upgrade or any training tapes that become available.

Good luck.

zazzle
07-06-2005, 10:57 PM
The late great Eric Langjahr
did the programming, he looked at single Value Tech races for his cherry picking.
One horse in the race you should like more than the public should like, ok.
He would handicapp 7 to 8 cards in a one and 1/2 hours. Throw most of them out. Any race with unknowns or what he would call a red flag, out
Pizzolla says Eric was a world class player. For me, Pizzollo's protocal is first rate. In the 2 excuse screen if you have the top ML favorites, why bother, PASS THE RACE. In another race I have a 8/1 and 20/1 on top, NOW I start getting interested.........

kingfin66
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
It's amusing to see people like Hurrikane, Joey and others who have never used TMM telling people not to buy it. It is even more amusing to see the same people telling ManoWar to buy other programs that they have also not used.

FYI: It is customary to either pan or praise something that you have knowledge of.

FWIW, I actually took the time as a user of TMM to help Larry (ManoWar) decide that the program was not for him. As he noted here, Michael P. let him have a trial period with the software and he struggled with it. He also is more comfortable with a particular style of play. I feel that I was qualified to do this because I use the program every day.

Hopefully, if Michael P. reads this he won't feel that I cost him a customer as I really don't feel that I did that. In fact, I have probably helped him keep customers over the past few years that he may have otherwise lost.

joeyspicks
07-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I am glad I was able to AMUSE YOU :lol:

But if your read carefully you will notice i did NOT advise him not to buy....I WAS SIMPLY ASKING THE QUESTION ....

WHY ? ? ? ? ? ?

and the guy admitted in later posts he didnt know the answer to that question.

The why question is BIG.......when choosing software and I was trying to give him other options.........not particularly advise against MM. (whose authers I have tremendous respect for).

kingfin66
07-07-2005, 10:08 AM
ManoWar was specifically asking for feedback about The Master Magician and wanted to know if it was worth buying. The way I read his question was that he wanted information was from people that have used it and have an opinion one way or the other.

joeyspicks
07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
I understand. Maybe I was out of line. My INTENT was to get him THINKING about WHY he wants a program and what would fit his style.

It helped me tremendously when I was searching.

MANOWAR
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
At this point I really don't know what program would fit my style. Like I mentioned before, I'm strictly a win bet player. Can someone suggest a program or two that would suit my style of play? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

midnight
07-08-2005, 12:29 AM
HTR. It has something for almost everybody.

ryesteve
07-08-2005, 12:29 AM
When it comes to choosing software, I think "style of play" is less important than style of handicapping. I'm not sure if there's any piece of software out there that's suited to teaching a discipline you're not already familiar with. Rather, they speed up and automate or expand upon the principles you're already using. In this context, from browsing this thread, I don't know what type of player you are.

MANOWAR
07-08-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm a pace & speed handicapper. I incorporate both styles.

Wickel
07-08-2005, 04:03 PM
I just purchased TMM from a buddy. I worked the Handicapping Magician sporadically--as I mentioned earlier--with no real success. I read somewhere about a forum on Yahoo for these programs. Anyone know what URL is?

Wickel
07-08-2005, 04:04 PM
One more dumb question: What does TMH have that TMM doesn't?

kingfin66
07-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Things have been pretty slow lately.

Here's the link:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/handicappingmagic/

Regarding the difference between THM and TMM: I wish I knew. I have heard good things about TMH but have never seen it in action.

I am well versed in TMM and will be happy to answer any questions as will a few people at the Yahoo group.

ryesteve
07-08-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm a pace & speed handicapper. I incorporate both styles.
Have you tried the HTR demo yet?

MANOWAR
07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
No I haven't tried the HTR demo yet. I don't even know what HTR is all about. I'm going to have to read some posts and replies about HTR before I jump in head first again. I don't want to do that again.

Buckeye
07-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Well now MOW,

at least HTR is still in business.

and, Soft focus is not a legitimate explanation of what HTR is.

HTR is you.

MP

let me at em anytime.

MANOWAR
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
" HTR is you", if I understood you correctly. Only time will tell if that's true or not. I still have to go through some posts and replies about HTR.

MANOWAR
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I just came back from reading 5 pages of replies from a post entitled HTR vs. HSH. I might be in trouble if I need to know MS Access & Excel to work HTR properly. I don't know either program, and I really don't have the time to learn them. If this is true, is there any way to work HTR without the knowledge of MS Access & Excel? At this point it looks like HTR MIGHT be the way to go, but it will be useless to me if I can't work it properly.

Tom
07-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Access nor Excel are requried for HTR. Stand alone program. I would guess most HTR users do not use anyhting else.

Did you try the free demo - WYSIWYG program-wise.
Unitl Tomorrow or Monday, when the NEW upgrade comes out! Drool drool drool.
Several memeber from here are meeting This week in Vegas for the annual seminar.

BTW....you would be surprised howm uch you can do with Access and HTR exports without really knowing Acces to deep. I started at square one, no exposure to ACCESS at all, and was mis-using a datbase within a few weeks! :D

MANOWAR
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
No I haven't downloaded the HTR demo yet. I'll wait until Monday or Tuesday when the upgrade takes full effect.