PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbreds

tonto1944
07-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I have been going to the Race Tracks since I was a kid. My father used to take me with him.I was to just about every track in the North East with my Father.Narragansett,to the old Jamaica Race Track. I was lucky my Father made a very good living so he could take me with him.
Handicapping is a matter of remembering horses, the tracks they like to run at ,weather they are mudders,fast track,turf,like a slow pace or a fast pace.But most of all weather they are in shape or on a down swing. I am very lucky because I have realatives who own horses and a couple who are Jocks. Sometimes I get real good information and on rare occassions I get bad info. I rarely read the Racing Form.What I do is go to racing sights and down load the results from certain tracks and keep them. And keep a list of horse and the dates they ran and when they run again I go back and read their last couple of races. Then I make my choice.You will find if you follow handicappers in the papers they all will have a different idea about a horse and how he either won or lost his last race.
I laugh at these so called experts on the TV when they show the races of the week.If they are right 10% of the time that is a lot.I wa at the track one day and there was a well known handicapper ther and I knew who he had pick this particular race and I was right behind him , his bet was totally different than what he picked and yet he still lost.
I have been very lucky I usually have to pay at the end of the year because I have hit a couple of big P3's 4's or a triple or superfecta. I love the thoroughbreds the races are usually short but when your horse is either on the lead or closing the rush of excitement you get when they are comming down the stretch is great.I am in m 60's and I still get the rush when I am at the track or weather I am home and watch on my computor.
I tried the trotters and couldn't get into it.It wasn't as exciting as the thoroughbreds.And besides I used to get pissed when my horse was in the lead at the top of the stretch and then break stride. My sister loves the harness racing so I go with her once in awhile but it is not my cup of tea.That's why they call thoroughbred racing the sport of Kings I guess.
And besides I find thorughbreds easier to handicap than harness.

twindouble
07-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Tonto; It's been a while sense I heard anyone mention Narragansett so I assume you also went to Lincoln downs, Rockingham Park and Green Mountain Park in VT. Have you ever taken it the fairs?

tonto1944
07-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I have also been to Green Mt. ,Rockingham,Bowie and the closest I came to a fair was Tioga Downs up State NY. I think it was near Oneioda. Excuse the spelling. There are 1 or 2 others but I don't remember their names.

twindouble
07-03-2005, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=tonto1944]I have also been to Green Mt. ,Rockingham,Bowie and the closest I came to a fair was Tioga Downs up State NY. I think it was near Oneioda. Excuse the spelling. There are 1 or 2 others but I don't remember their names.[/QUOTE

No need to appologize on your spelling.

If you want learn how to spell, try the DRF forum, there's a few there that will jump right on and correct your spelling and grammar from the get go. It's their way letting you know in their minds your uneducated and go out of their way to talk over our head. The end result is new people shy away from posting or asking questions so that keeps forum in control of a minority. Granted some are good handicappers but lack in people skills. Heck most of the guys I've known have less than a high school education and are darn good handicappers and gamblers. So you can miss spell as far as I'm concerned, I'll pay no attention to it and hopefully others here do the same.

The other fairs I went to were Waymouth, Brockton, Great Barrington, North Hampton. I think the only one left is North Hampton.

kenwoodallpromos
07-03-2005, 04:25 PM
I remember some horses that are mostly ITM or make a good trun move!

Suff
07-04-2005, 09:36 AM
My father also took me to the track as a youngen. I started going to the race track when I was 10. I went all through my growing up years.

If you could make Suffolks Downs Friday early double that was a status symbol. My father and his friends used to hold court at SUFFOLK every Friday. Union Boss's, Transit Authority executives, the Self-Employed...and other elements. I loved it.

As I have said before, I was backside at Suffolk Downs 3 days a week for years. My Father owned a Commercial Exterminating Business. Thats what I did for many years. I was an Exterminator. Suffolk Downs was One of his accounts. So was Boston Garden, Fenway Park, Harvard, MIT, All Boston Schools, All of the MBTA. We'd get $11.00 to do a bus. My Father always took care of me. I'd take a friend out at one in the morning, squirt some bug juice on 500 Bus's all night for $5500.00 and my dad would split it down the middle with me, and I'd take care of my friend. $1800 for a nights work! I lived good. (foolishly)

I did all the Rodent chasing at Suffok Downs.... :D I put the poison in them little black box's you see all the time nowadays. That was my nickname for a long time. The Exterminator! Two legged rats were my speciality! :eek:

Another big pest backside are Birds...and I did Bird Control as well. Walk down a shedrow and birds jump out of feed buckets. They're big bacteria carriers and MITES, and other blood sucking insects like Flea's. Additionally, their droppings carry salmonella. Managing the Bird population in and around race tracks is important. All Birds have distress calls. The key to managing large populations of Pigeons/Seagulls is infecting a small segment with a Toxin that solicits the distress call. Unaffected birds relocate, usually two to twelve weeks depending on nearby food supply. Bird Maintanence is an ongoing program at many tracks. As is Rodent and Insect control, for obvious reasons.

With as many times as I was backside... rightly or wrongly I always viewed backside people as "Carny types"... Barnum Bailey. Or even worse, Gyspys. I was never in a hurry to make friends back there. I did what I had to do and went frontside. The frontside is where my people are, and always will be.

mudnturf
07-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Your post rings a bell. If you read HorsePlayer magazine you might enjoy the piece I wrote entitled, "My 50 Years at Saratoga". It appears in the July/August issue due out this week.
In the article I failed to mention my occassional visits to Green Mountain Park in Pownal, VT. I saw both horse racing and greyhound racing there......not on the same evening!

twindouble
07-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Your post rings a bell. If you read HorsePlayer magazine you might enjoy the piece I wrote entitled, "My 50 Years at Saratoga". It appears in the July/August issue due out this week.
In the article I failed to mention my occassional visits to Green Mountain Park in Pownal, VT. I saw both horse racing and greyhound racing there......not on the same evening!

Peasure to meet you Lee;

Green Mountain is where I got started along with Berkshire Downs. Saratoga was more of event to me like the Barrington fair, didn't take it serious but they both added to the enjoyment of it all. I don't read Horse Player, now I have a reason to. Do I have to subscrbe online or buy it at the stands?

My oldest son's name is Lee, he didn't thank me for the name until he found out what girls were all about.