PDA

View Full Version : Bailey To Ride FC in the Surburban

Zaf
06-30-2005, 07:03 PM
I noticed Jerry Bailey was listed to ride Funny Cide in the Surburban Hcp on Saturday. I like this change :)

ZAFONIC

cnollfan
06-30-2005, 09:28 PM
It reminds me a little bit of when Seattle Slew's connections replaced Cruguet with Cordero, saying that Cruguet had "lost confidence in the horse."

GeTydOn
06-30-2005, 11:50 PM
:rolleyes:
Don't think it's going to make a difference. That horse is erratic.

Zaf
07-01-2005, 12:16 AM
FC did very well in this one last year only losing by a neck to Peace Rules and Newfoundland. Expect a better effort Sunday.

ZAFONIC

cj
07-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Don't think it's going to make a difference. That horse is erratic.

I think Funny Cide has been very, very consistent. What is erratic is the level of comptetion he has faced.

Zaf
07-01-2005, 10:41 AM
FUNNY CIDE worked 3f gd in :35.60 B (1/11) at BEL, 06/30/05.

This is unusual, usually he works 5 , 6, 7F leading up to a race.

ZAFONIC

DerbyTrail
07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Don't think it's going to make a difference.

The difference is that Bailey is attacking Gr. I's with zeal and relish... and anything else you put on a hot dog.. He also LOVES showing up rivals, so don't think he won't be looking to have a successful trip with the gelding. It was 20 years for Bailey between Suburban wins (Fit to Fight-Peace Rules), so he'd certainly want to add a third victory in this important classic as he closes out his resume.

GeTydOn
07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Please! Bailey has been retiring for 2 years now.

I stand by my erratic comment. He's his own worst enemy in his races. He just never seems to settle and always seems to have weird trips. He does have heart and he does seem to always try but sometimes that just ain't enough to overcome the obsticles he creates for himself.

joeyspicks
07-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I think Funny Cide will probably run well......it most definitely will NOT be because of Bailey. My feeling is he SHOULD have retired 2 years ago.

Zaf
07-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Why do you feel he should of been retired ??? :confused:

ZAFONIC

Kreed
07-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I think this years Suburban might equal a GR3, never a GR1. To me its a slug
fest between Offee Wild & Polard's Vision.

stuball
07-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing ---Why retire him he is a gelding......

He is still making money for the owners...not hurting...owners enjoy

his racing...no reason to retire him

Stuball

joeyspicks
07-02-2005, 12:17 PM
SORRY for the confusion. I meant Jerry Bailey should retire.....NOT Funny Cide.:D

kingfin66
07-02-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm rooting for Funny Cide, but definitely passing the race.

JustRalph
07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
SORRY for the confusion. I meant Jerry Bailey should retire.....NOT Funny Cide.:D

hey Joey, I thought that is what you meant...........but .........

He is still making money for the owners.....owners enjoy

his racing...no reason to retire him

Poor attempt at humor.............huh?;)

joeyspicks
07-02-2005, 07:42 PM
LOL:lol:

BillW
07-02-2005, 07:45 PM

That who Stu was talking about :eek: .

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2005, 04:07 AM
I really hate to bring this up, because I rail at others for starting stuff with this old topic, but I can't let this slip by without some comments.

There has been a sentiment expressed in this thread about Funny Cide, to the effect that there is no reason to retire him, because he is still making money for his owners, and they still enjoy seeing him compete. Never mind that he hardly ever wins lately....

A certain top mare was racing not too long ago, making money for her owner, who enjoyed running her against some stiff competition, even taking a shot or two at the boys....BUT, all we heard on this board was how she should be retired ASAP, and that all this certain owner and trainer were doing were stroking their egos (or whatever drivel was being thrown out there to denegrate what these guys were doing -- I can't be too certain on the exact comments being made...suffice to say they weren't very endearing).

I wonder why the tale of two cities? Is it because Funny Cide is a gelding, and therefore has no other choice but to run until he injures himself and is forced to retire? That can't be true....it just doesn't sound right.

I can only wonder what would be currently posted on this forum if we were to replace the name Barclay Tagg with D. Wayne Lukas. After all, Funny Cide has only won once in his last nine starts, and has been beaten to a pulp in three of his last four races. Would we be hearing cries of Lukas only entering Funny Cide in these GRADE 1 events in order to stroke his ego and get himself on television, even though common sense tells you Funny Cide is no Grade 1 horse....(He's only won one Grade 1 since the Preakness in 2003)

Yup, you'd probably be hearing that from a few folks if D. Wayne were training Funny Cide....but he's not, so I guess it's ok....

How does that saying go, "It's all in the name?"

I guess that certainly applies in this case...such double standards!

TOOZ
07-03-2005, 08:33 AM
110% correct. One of the greatest joys I get in this game is when trainer/owners fire the jockey who got you there, was always there, and basically did nothing wrong, in favor for the "master" Jerry Bailey. I'm happy for Santos today, and I hope this horse gets trounced every race, just like he got trounced yesterday. Tagg has absolutely done a poor job with this horse. He's next on the hit list.

Kreed
07-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey guys, happy Sunday. I agree with most comments on Funny Cide here.
Bailey is a great jockey but can't walk on water. Barclay Tagg was a minor
player before FC, and seems more of a caretaker than a trainer. The same
can be said of Sheriffs' training Giacomo: after the KD, he planes Giacomo
back to Calif because "the horse likes the atmoshere there." --- I think some
trainers get too enamored w/ horses & do them a disservice by NOT preparing
them for battle. If horses could talk they would tell their coaches: hey, my
legs need work; my back is throwing off my motion; i feel sore & need a day
of sunshine & no work ; etc etc --- but no matter how it comes down, if you're
in the ring to battle, your coach should know if your fit or not.

JustRalph
07-03-2005, 09:48 AM
PA. On your point.................. the fact that the mare you speak of could reproduce makes all the difference if you ask me. She can produce some awesome foals and funny cide can't produce a damn thing. Big difference.

I think Funny Cide officially has War Emblem disease. He has it figured out. He doesn't want to run and he realizes that he really doesn't have to anymore. Lope along at the back and he still gets the same treatment as if he had won.
I think he is pretty much done.

Buckeye
07-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Let's remember, how many people had Funny Cide to win his Derby? Not too many is the answer. He would probably benefit from a drop in class.

As for JB, I don't agree that he should retire.

Hosshead
07-03-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't think that either jock (Santos/Bailey) is the problem.
I think that CJ is right in that FC is (usually) fairly consistent (figure wise).
What's wrong with a new (good) trainer, AND a drop in class?
As long as he's healthy, he should do well when they get his true class level figured out.
If his class level drops too much-too fast, then he is either unsound, or as Ralph says has "War Emblem Disease". But I think it's hard to tell what's going on, untill FC gets a better trainer.

OTM Al
07-03-2005, 09:04 PM
There's some fairly lucretive NY bred stakes and plenty of G3s out there. This guy could race a couple more years and make some decent money. Never know he could also get his act together and step back up, but they keep this up much longer he's going to forget how to win.

Kreed
07-04-2005, 08:46 AM
after a re-read I agree with JR that Funny Cide wants a life of grazing & no
work. Shrewd New Yorker?

TOOZ
07-04-2005, 09:25 AM
In the N.Y Daily News today, Tagg blamed what else, but the heat. Enough of this clown already. Maybe he should point him for the Iceland derby.

JustRalph
07-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I wonder what Todd Pletcher would do with him? Look at what he did with Balto Star. 2 million bucks in earnings is a pretty good horse. considering how he earned it ..............I think Pletcher should get tons of credit for that one.

kenwoodallpromos
07-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, FC still draws interest and opinions! That in itself makes me happy! 1 bigshot horse not retired or meat!

Observer
07-04-2005, 01:50 PM
.. Tagg blamed what else, but the heat. ..

Yet Funny Cide spends his winters and early springs in Florida .. but most notably, Saturday was certainly not a hot, humid day as it was in the days prior to the race .. maybe that's what Tagg was referring to .. those days leading up to the race?? But Saturday was definitely a refreshing break.

chrisg
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, the Sackatoga boys could try Funny Cide @ Steeplechasing; maybe he'd have an interest in racing if he had short term goals to focus on like fences to jump. Plus, they could still have him run @ the Spa.

:) :) :)
:eek:

Figman
07-05-2005, 03:14 PM
How about the harness track in Saratoga.
That is where the Sackatoga guys started out in racing?

Valuist
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I think its time they realize this is no longer a Grade 1 or Grade 2 type horse. At one time he was. He isn't anymore. In the meantime, he's a great go-against who's continually overbet.

Tom
07-06-2005, 10:14 PM
NY Derby....State bred stake - Finger Lakes. 9 furolongs.

Low hanging fruit - big parking lot, bring the bus. :D

GeTydOn
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Ain't he a bit too old - like 2 years too old - for the NY Derby????

Tom
07-06-2005, 10:55 PM
We are very flexible at the thumb. Conditions read "Three year olds, or so....."

:D

BillW
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Ain't he a bit too old - like 2 years too old - for the NY Derby????

They can't be that picky @ FL :lol: