PDA

View Full Version : Eddington - Done

Observer
06-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Eddington has been retired .. he's off to Claiborne.

Eddington - Retired (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=28819)

kenwoodallpromos
06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Inflammation? precautionary I guess.

OTM Al
06-30-2005, 09:12 AM
Soft tissue tear in the leg is what they were saying in DRF.

Bobby
06-30-2005, 09:57 AM
I know horse racing is a business but golly . . .Is this really a career ending injury or would being turned out a coupla months be da cure for ED?

Personally, I didn't pay much attn to Eddington but it seems to me these horses are pampered way too much. Smarty and GZ retired. Just an unsettling precedent.

OTM Al
06-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Turning him out a couple months probably would have cured him, but then the season is over before you can get back in shape and they probably weren't running him at 5 anyway

Wiley
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
From the article it sounds like Claiborne was anxious to get a son of Unbridled back in the fold. The fact he pops his first Grade 1 last out he leaves on a high note ala George Costanza. To me why not heal a couple of months, get a prep in, and take a shot at the Classic - Proud Truth did it in '85. It's sad to see the handicap division, which isn't that strong anyway, lose a top contender.

JustRalph
06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
This horse has a bit of history attached to him. He was used to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. He was a tool for Jerry Bailey to impose his own design on who should be a triple crown winner etc..............Jerry Bailey shaped history with this horse. ..........

Bobby
06-30-2005, 04:56 PM
good point ralph . forgot about that.

chrisg
06-30-2005, 06:44 PM
This horse has a bit of history attached to him. He was used to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. He was a tool for Jerry Bailey to impose his own design on who should be a triple crown winner etc..............Jerry Bailey shaped history with this horse. ..........

I must have missed this; when/how did this happen?

JustRalph
06-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I must have missed this; when/how did this happen?

this has been covered before.......but here is a link that is interesting

http://www2.als.edu/glc/wagering/jockeyinstructions.pdf

toetoe
06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Impossible to prove, ridiculous to try to enforce. When the horse is a no-hoper to begin with, how can you prove he's deliberately avoiding the impossible? What about rabbits? Theoretically, they're in violation as soon as they pass the starter.

chrisg
06-30-2005, 11:37 PM
this has been covered before.......but here is a link that is interesting

http://www2.als.edu/glc/wagering/jockeyinstructions.pdf

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that.

GeTydOn
06-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Top handicap horse? Seriously?? Based on what? His last race? Why do some horses carry a good reputation but others can do so much and get so little respect?

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2005, 12:26 AM
I can't believe I wasted my time reading that.

I thought it was a good summation of what was going on at that time, and what a lot of people thought....why was it a waste, considering you stated "I must have missed this; when/how did this happen?"

chrisg
07-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I thought it was a good summation of what was going on at that time, and what a lot of people thought....why was it a waste, considering you stated "I must have missed this; when/how did this happen?"

Ralph had said: "This horse has a bit of history attached to him. He was used to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. He was a tool for Jerry Bailey to impose his own design on who should be a triple crown winner etc..............Jerry Bailey shaped history with this horse"

I fail to see that as historic. How was Jerry Bailey responsible? If the premise of the piece was that a rider must give the horse a winning ride, then why wasn't Stewart Elliott chastised by the author for the "46" and change middle fraction?

It says right in the piece: "Had Bailey and/or Solis engaged in conduct that could objectively have been considered to be aimed solely at disrupting Smarty’s chances, there would have been a potential basis for penalizing the riders. For example, if they had tried to bump or jostle Smarty, or forced Smarty unnecessarily wide, or interfered with Smarty, there would be a
greater basis for concluding that they had not tried to win the race. There were no such allegations. Without such allegations, or some admission by the riders about their conduct, it would be totally arbitrary to penalize Solis and/or Bailey."

So, why does Ralph say: "He was used to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. He was a tool for Jerry Bailey to impose his own design on who should be a triple crown winner etc..............Jerry Bailey shaped history with this horse."

Wouldn't the answer to my question have been, not to have answered?

A waste of my time.

Wiley
07-01-2005, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=GeTydOn][color=blue]Top handicap horse?QUOTE]
My exact wording was 'top contender' but I get your point. Eddington had two quality races this year, name others beside St.Liam and Rock Hard Ten? My point is the division is weak and it just got weaker.

You Smarty guys won't give it up. You make it sound like Bailey grabbed Smarty's tail and held on so poor Smarty had to drag Eddington's dead weight around the track! You should be mad at Birdstone for running too damn fast. I don't remember any impedance, bumping or interference in that race. SJ could not relax similar to Funny Cide the year before so there you have it. It sure looked like SJ did not have a problem relaxing behind Lionheart and running with others in the Derby in fact he got sandwiched/pinched with a group of four horses going into the first turn and I was amazed he settled nicely coming out of the turn to start tracking Lionheart. He ran a great race but was not good enough to be a triple crown winner.
I guess no one remembers some of Cordero's rides when you want to talk about intimidation. I do admire the SJ followers persistence.

JustRalph
07-01-2005, 09:45 AM
So, why does Ralph say: "He was used to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. He was a tool for Jerry Bailey to impose his own design on who should be a triple crown winner etc..............Jerry Bailey shaped history with this horse."

There was tons of discussion about this when it occurred. The fact that you "missed it" and still don't get the implication from my post......doesn't make the info any more or less interesting, or relevent to my post.............

Valuist
07-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Unbridled was a tremendous horse and sire but his offspring really seem to have soundness issues.