PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about this forum.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Well here I am, spent the last 4 years on the DRF forum. Things just got so out of hand there with the multiples and insults I bailed out. Not that I was on the receiving end to any great degree or didn't think there was some good handicappers there, it's just that the decorum and the multiples hit the pits. As a result I'm looking into having my own site, meanwhile I thought I drop in here to fill the void.

Nickle
06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Forget having your own site

Impossible to get traffic and will never compete with sites that have been around a long time

This is a nice site with real sharp guys

sealord
06-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Not only is this an amazing place to further your handicapping skills, it's easily the most intelligent forum I've ever been on. I've been registered to probably a dozen different sites over the years and this one rates first by "widening lengths." Hats off to PA and all the posters.:ThmbUp:

twindouble
06-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the responce. I'll test the waters here for now in hopes that it works out. Your right on traffic but I was think more along the lines of my own personal site and invite my buddies and others.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Sealord; I would like to think I added something to the DRF forum of some value, in a way I feel like I left a comfort zone and I'm not throwing a blanket over everyone threre, it just got to chaotic for me. Looking forward to hear form some savvy handicappers here.

Milleruszk
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Sealord; I would like to think I added something to the DRF forum of some value, in a way I feel like I left a comfort zone and I'm not throwing a blanket over everyone threre, it just got to chaotic for me. Looking forward to hear form some savvy handicappers here.

Twindouble, Pace is the best board for serious students of the game. The posters here are great. The DRF board has too many goofballs that will turn any serious discussion into a school yard free for all.

Suff
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
umoderated forums either implode, or explode every 180 days.

Moderation is the key. Not in over administrating, but more in that people are more cautious to go overboard knowing the board is moderated. Also, knowing IP address's can be tracked or traced in an effort to pull out duplicate user names helps.

The moderator is the Key. I apprecaiite his work. A friend of mine went to the Kentucky derby this year, and I have a Derby program all "autographed up" that I intend on giving him at Saratoga when I see him. As a token of my appreciation.

Welcome to the Board.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Twindouble, Pace is the best board for serious students of the game. The posters here are great. The DRF board has too many goofballs that will turn any serious discussion into a school yard free for all.

Thanks for responding. Well, after 44 years of playing the horses I can't call myself a student but to some degree I have an open mind and weigh what others have to say and don't discard out of hand.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes your right but I couldn't figure out why DRF couldn't get a handle on the multiples or just block those that are down right rude.

cj
06-29-2005, 01:13 PM
What ever happened to Larry Hamilton?

CapperLou
06-29-2005, 01:28 PM
TwinDouble:

Welcome to the board--think you will find it rewarding!!

I'm travelling out west now, but wish I was in Lenox for the summer. I used to spend my summers in the Berkshires--taking in the scenery, the music and running over to Saratoga every day in August. Sure miss it there!!

But, I've lived in Florida for sometime and my Son lives out west so we are always going there.

Good luck to you!! And give Lenox a big hug for me.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. Yeah, where is Larry Hamilton??

twindouble
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't know Larry Hamilton. Clue me in.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the wecome; Yes it sure is nice here, life long resident of the Berkshires. It was even better when Green Mountain race track was running, that's were I got started along with Berkshire Downs.

Suff
06-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the wecome; Yes it sure is nice here, life long resident of the Berkshires. It was even better when Green Mountain race track was running, that's were I got started along with Berkshire Downs.

I saw Lenox in your profile. Been there... I go right through on my way to NYC.. :D

Seriously... Nice area. Old money right? Mayflower money as its called.

Suff
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
What ever happened to Larry Hamilton?

huh? where'd that come from?

I traded e-mails with Game theory.. he's moving across country to Denver.

My guy... John... sent you that e-mail I mentioned on the phone.

Since you went sideways with LH, I went with you on these two

twindouble
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I wish it was old money. Lenox has become a rich man, poor man's town. New money has driven property values out of sight, big second home market. I might sell and end in Fla. with some of my buddies. That's if I can convince the wife she'll be safe, that or just go there in the winter MO's.

kenwoodallpromos
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I would like to see less name-calling. I will have to tone down a hair myself!
Multiole- if you are talking about similar or same topics repeated, some may be due to new people asking questions. The search mode is a handy tool to see what has been talked about.
I would like to see more group analyzing of specific PP's like the Del Mar contest sparked.

twindouble
06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
What I mean by multiples is, people with many different handles and yes, it's nice when handicappers are on the the same page now and then.

mkbdoe
06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
I would like to see more group analyzing of specific PP's like the Del Mar contest sparked.

Man that would help me a lot....As of right now, I'm too nervous to really post here, because of my newbness to the game, so I just read the threads...I can honestly say I have learned something everyday from all of you...

Dr. Carter
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
This is far and away the best site that I've seen. Most of the posters are knowledgable and discuss things in a reasonable manner. I think that because many here are bettors they have a little better handle on things than on other boards which are filled with clutter and foolishness.

cj
06-29-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't know why I put that here, I think I thought I was in a different thread...oh well, sorry about that, and welcome twin.

Light
06-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Did someone bring a bunch of friends cause there's been about twice the normal amount of people on line recently.Hmmm.

Observer
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Maybe it's just the stimulating conversation, Light???

Welcome twindouble!
:jump:

BillW
06-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Or another attack of the zombie netbots BWAAHAAHAA :eek:

twindouble
06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks to all for the wecome, sorry I had to skip out for a while. I'll hang in here and see how it goes.

Vegas711
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
The only problem is you will get hooked and you will be spendingso much time reading some very good stuff that you may forget to take the Dog out.

Tom
06-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Now that you mention it, I do miss larry....nice guy.
Last I knew, he was looking at harness racing. Maybe melman has heard from him.
(I miss Vet Scratch, too, but my aim is improving!):D

BillW
06-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Now that you mention it, I do miss larry....nice guy.
Last I knew, he was looking at harness racing. Maybe melman has heard from him.

Wes has tried to get in touch with Larry recently and hasn't been able to. He was in WR almost every day for a stetch but hasn't been there recently either.

(I miss Vet Scratch, too, but my aim is improving!):D

You are one sick puppy :lol::D:lol:

kingfin66
06-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Welcome twindouble. You should change to twintrifecta, it pays better! PA is a great site. I have learned a lot about horse racing. Most of the heated debate takes place in the Off Topic section. I don't recommend that you go unless you have lots of moxie.

The great thing about PA is that virtually every handicapping niche is covered. People are tuned into various softwares, books, methodologies - you name it, it's here.

Don't worry too much about insults here. PA is a fair moderator and takes pride in his site. He won't let too much go on that shouldn't go on. By the way, if you have a particular facet of horse racing that you enjoy, you can always start a Yahoo group. Someone from this site recently started one for Handicapping Magic (contrary to popular belief it wasn't me) and Steve Byk, who writes excellent commentary on Triple Crown events has a Derby Trail group.

Again, welcome to Pace Advantage.

twindouble
06-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Welcome twindouble. You should change to twintrifecta, it pays better! PA is a great site. I have learned a lot about horse racing. Most of the heated debate takes place in the Off Topic section. I don't recommend that you go unless you have lots of moxie.

The great thing about PA is that virtually every handicapping niche is covered. People are tuned into various softwares, books, methodologies - you name it, it's here.

Don't worry too much about insults here. PA is a fair moderator and takes pride in his site. He won't let too much go on that shouldn't go on. By the way, if you have a particular facet of horse racing that you enjoy, you can always start a Yahoo group. Someone from this site recently started one for Handicapping Magic (contrary to popular belief it wasn't me) and Steve Byk, who writes excellent commentary on Triple Crown events has a Derby Trail group.

Again, welcome to Pace Advantage.

Thanks for the wecome;

I'll spend some time reading some threads this week to get a pulse on what goes on here.

The twindouble was the foreunner to the pick 3,4 and 6. To me it was the best gimmick they ever come up with for the simple reason you had to exchange tickets to hit the second half. That gave the savvy handicappers an edge because most would choke up and lean on the the chalks. Not only that, knowing how many tickets were live added to the edge. So, my handle is a nostalgia trip.

Cratos
07-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi TD,

I am happy to see that you are still posting even though it is not on the DRF Forum.

twindouble
07-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi Cratos! I've been waiting from someone from the DRF to stop in, I'm glad it was you. :)) How have you been and how long have you been posting here?

Buckeye
07-04-2005, 01:59 AM
The twindouble was the foreunner to the pick 3,4 and 6. To me it was the best gimmick they ever come up with for the simple reason you had to exchange tickets to hit the second half. That gave the savvy handicappers an edge because most would choke up and lean on the the chalks. Not only that, knowing how many tickets were live added to the edge . . .
Liberty Bell had a bet called "The Big E" which as I remember it, was an exacta followed by another exacta. The Drivers seemed to know best how to contruct a winning wager, I wonder why? :bang:

John
07-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Wecome Twin,

Years ago when I went out to the fair we would drive to the Lenox House Resturant in Lenox. The best Prime rib in the state. Good eating place.

twindouble
07-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Liberty Bell had a bet called "The Big E" which as I remember it, was an exacta followed by another exacta. The Drivers seemed to know best how to contruct a winning wager, I wonder why? :bang:

The tracks here on the east coast tried different gimmicks, their goal was to increase handle. The twindouble offered the public a shot for a big payoff but as time went on the tracks got greedy or their bottom line wasn't in line. As you know like today the money sat in a seperate pool for four races, the tracks used the argument that the wise guys were sewing up the races,( fixing) to get rid of it. That was far from the truth, what the tracks wanted was to get the money back into the players hand and threw the windows again. What they come up with was the Big Exacta or Super perfecta as you mention, now the pools were paid off in two races not four. Then they went a step futher and came up the Trifecta that payed off in one race. As the smaller tracks went by the wayside, the bigger ones concluded they could draw more people in by offering the big payoff again, the pick 6 and now the pick 3,4, and super perfecta and so on.

The interesting thing about this whole thing is as a handicappers we pride ourselves in picking winners but I think it's important that all players adjust to the wagering opertunities that are offered today and develope a wagering strategy that incorperates the gimmicks. In other words today it just isn't all about picking winners, it's handicapping and covering with a reasonable bankroll. We all have days where we get those gift horses, be it from your watch list, trip hadicapping or ideal conditions. That's the time to zero in on the gimmicks in a serious way and include that ego boosting flat bet. :))

twindouble
07-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Wecome Twin,

Years ago when I went out to the fair we would drive to the Lenox House Resturant in Lenox. The best Prime rib in the state. Good eating place.

Yes on the Lenox house but sorry to say it has changed hands many times sense then and I wouldn't recommend it today. The only fair left in this area is North Hampton, the one I miss is Great Barrington.

BIG RED
07-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Welcome td.

I remember going to the Eastover Resort out your way for several years, atleast I think I remember :D What a shindig that used to be!

twindouble
07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi BIG RED;

Eastover Resort was a big attraction at one time, it still operates in a more conservitive way, nothing like the big seedy parties that were rumored to go on there. I think it's still in the family though.

CryingForTheHorses
07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Welcome..Im surprsed you didnt get "Debated" about advertising your intentions and were using the PA site "Just beacause"
This is a great site.

twindouble
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Welcome..Im surprsed you didnt get "Debated" about advertising your intentions and were using the PA site "Just beacause"
This is a great site.

Thanks for the heads up. When I get the site up and running I won't advertize it here, anyway I'm thinking more along the lines of a personal site, my goals is to get my buddies on the same page and invite who ever I want. Right now my buddies e-mail me to death or IM.