PDA

View Full Version : A Soldiers Funeral in Massachusetts

Suff
06-28-2005, 09:20 AM
The funeral for Piper, whose death was the town's first combat casualty since the Vietnam War, was marred by the presence of demonstrators from the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church. They asserted the 9/11 attacks and American deaths in the war on terror are God's revenge on a nation Tolerant of gays.

Shunning the twisted rhetoric of a Kansas hate group, the town of Marblehead turned out yesterday to honor a fallen Green Beret in an outpouring of sympathy and patriotism not seen in decades in the historic seaside community.
Holding signs reading, ``Thank God for dead soldiers,'' ``God blew up the troops,'' and ``Fag body bags,'' the demonstrators chanted derisive anti-gay slogans and sang a derogatory version of ``God Bless America'' that opened with: ``God hates America, land of our fags.Holding signs reading, ``Thank God for dead soldiers,'' ``God blew up the troops,'' and ``Fag body bags,'' the demonstrators chanted derisive anti-gay slogans and sang a derogatory version of ``God Bless America'' that opened with: ``God hates America, land of our fags

Amid tight security and a sea of American flags clutched by several thousand mourners along the funeral route from Marblehead's Old North Church, Army Staff Sgt. Christopher N. Piper was laid to rest in the veterans section of Waterside Cemetery. He joined other town residents who made the ultimate sacrifice dating back to the Spanish-American War.

``The (American) Revolution was fought here, and I think that is still very real to a lot of people here in Marblehead,'' Piper's brother Ernest said. ``(My brother) had a very deep commitment to service and a deep belief in what he was doing.''

Christopher Piper, 43, who served for 10 years in the Marine Corps before joining the Army in 1995 and becoming an elite Green Beret, died June 16 in a Texas hospital from wounds he received in a roadside bombing in Afghanistan that also killed Capt. Charles D. Robinson and Staff Sgt. Leroy E. Alexander.

The widows of Piper's fallen comrades attended yesterday's service, where Piper was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

http://www.bostonherald.com/

cj
06-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I can be glad I wasn't there, as I surely would have wound up in jail. What these people did is sickening. Protest all you want, but this was not a place for it.

Suff
06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I can be glad I wasn't there, as I surely would have wound up in jail. What these people did is sickening. Protest all you want, but this was not a place for it.

When Massachusetts took the unprecedented step of legalizing Gay Marriage, we've been overrun with Christians telling us how much God hates us.

Kansas, Oklahoma, Alabama... they come from all over. They stand on streets with signs...."God hates you". lol.

Christians are an odd lot.

lsbets
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
I would have been right next to CJ in jail, the good news is, I think given a jury trial, there is a chance we would have been found not guilty.

so.cal.fan
06-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Intolerant religious fanatics are the most dangerous threat to peace on our planet.
Be they...Muslim, Christian, Jewish.

46zilzal
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Intolerant religious fanatics are the most dangerous threat to peace on our planet.
ON THE NOSE!

melman
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Suff, I am a Christian, does that make me an odd person. Not ashamed to say it Jesus is my Lord and Master. I do not agree with these "protesters" in Mass at all. But you paint with to board a stroke.
SoCalFan-- I believe the biggest theat to peace in the last century was Hitler and Stalin who I would hardly call "intolerant religious people".

so.cal.fan
06-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Religious or political views should not preach hatred.
We have witnessed throughout history the sad consequences of this.
When will we all finally "get it"?
The vast majority of Christians follow the teachings of Jesus....who preached LOVE.
These crazed people who protested at a soldier's funeral are not Christians.

Bobby
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I agree. Religious intolerence not needed. This is way overboard.

However, I ain't crazy about gays, thats for sure. A little Homophobic? Yes.
And i damn sure ain't for gay marriage. A traditionalist. A bible belt boy, so to speak. At least in a way.

Suff
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
To whom it may concern:

If you had to bet your last buck on who these particular people Voted for, who would you choose

Bush 1-200
Kerry 250-1
Nader 1200-1

Now the "value play" might be Nader, because there is likelyhood these Conservative/Traditionalist's from the Baptist Church are illiterate....and that may lead to bad votes. However the "figures" tell me that these folks and the 10's of thousands like them, are Bush voters.... ;)

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2005, 02:42 PM
To whom it may concern:

If you had to bet your last buck on who these particular people Voted for, who would you choose

Bush 1-200
Kerry 250-1
Nader 1200-1

I bet they'd have voted for Pat Robertson or maybe Pat Buchannan if they'd had the chance. Probably would have voted for their church leader/pastor as president and their church board/elders for the cabinet if they had the chance. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if many of them didn't vote at all - protesting or nation or our government, the separation of church and state, or whatever thing they want to get themselves worked up over.

Gads I hate what these idiotic zealots did to that poor brave soldier and his family at his funeral. They do a lot more harm than any good to the repuations of the rest of my fellow Christians. They used this soldier's death for their own purposes - as nastily, ugly and unfairly as anyone protesting (this or any) war by showing pictures of coffins and making fun of our leaders and military with their captions and graphics along with them.

46zilzal
06-28-2005, 02:53 PM
A person being a homosexual imparts about the same REAL effect on another's life as their choice of clothing or automobile. IT IS THEIR LIFE to live it as they see fit is it not?

46zilzal
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
making fun of our leaders and military with their captions and graphics along with them.
great to make fun of OUR LEADERS when they are so imcompetent and give you so much ammunition to do it, but NOT at someone's funeral

melman
06-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe I did not make myself clear enough in my previous posts. I also condem these nut cases in Mass. Who did Jesus have his harshest words for in his day? The religious leaders of his time.
SoCalFan--Exactly Jesus preached and is LOVE. I also believe that Hitler and Stalin were the worst threats to peace in our time.
Suff-- Am I an "odd" person?? Because of my beliefs??
BTW we also have nut cases on the liberal side of viewpoints. Anyone care to post the thinking of Prof Ward Churchill of the U of Colorado?? His thinking was that the victims of 9/11 "got exactly what they had coming to them."

JustRalph
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
great to make fun of OUR LEADERS when they are so imcompetent and give you so much ammunition to do it, but NOT at someone's funeral

Man, This is too easy.............I will stop here.........

Suff........you are too much.........

Suff
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
What? I'm damn proud of the Kid. Even prouder more of Massachusetts in the way they honored this Kid. 1000's of people from a very small Twon speaks to our sentiment. Meanwhile we're 65-35 against this war.

But to the point... its sucks when a few whack jobs sinks your ship isn't it?

I mean....I easliy could go to Ebay and get a few hundred Christian Froot Loops who buy and sell Grill Cheese sandwich's with Jesus's image "toasted" on them.... :D

Or I could get a few hard core evangelicals that support Eric Rudoph's terrorist attack on the USA, during our Olympic hosting.

The Web site of the Army of God, an extreme anti-abortion group, displayed a picture of Emily Lyons, a nurse severely injured in the Birmingham bombing, with the caption: "Babykilling Abortion Nurse Emily Lyons got a taste of her own medicine." "I have had Eric on my daily prayer list since that wondrous day in 1998 before a name was given to the bomber," wrote one supporter to the Army of God. "He will continue to stay there. I hope he escapes to defend children again." Another post said that what mattered was that he had "the lives of the innocent in mind." Referring to the nurse who was severely injured in the Birmingham blast, the poster, identifying herself only as "Deborah," asked: "How can she live with herself knowing that she helps to kill babies?...I am praying for Eric. They can't seek the death penalty against him, can they? Oh God in heaven, I hope not."

A number of white supremacists were not so much concerned about Rudolph as about the attention that Rudolph's arrest was bringing to Christian Identity itself, especially by the "Jewish-controlled media." One post to a Christian Identity e-mail list claimed that "what we are currently witnessing in the controlled mass media is the demonization of anyone who dares to tell the truth about the fifth column government, the Zionist Lobby control of congress and the media, historical accuracy, the major and crucial differences between the races, including the Cainites, God's Law as contained in the Commandments, Statutes and Judgments, the federal reserve, 9-11 and anything else that is wrong with our Edomite [an Identity term for Jews] manipulated society…the message is clear. Shut up, or else!"

"Please pray for warrior Eric Rudolph," wrote one poster to the Usenet news group alt.religion.end-times.prophecies shortly after news of Rudolph's arrest was announced, "that our Savior will protect him from this evil liberal Government.

Yea....it sucks when fringe elements makes an entire Religion, unfit, unready and untrustworthy to Govern.

5:28 PM... It is Time for Dinner.. Grill Cheese anyone?

46zilzal
06-28-2005, 05:49 PM
thanks teacher

Tom
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM

...or activist judges who impose thier will on society. What goes around comes around. God doesn't hate Mass, but a lot of people sure do. I could live without it. Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. They should be more concerned about thier ridiculous traffic. Didn't they burn witches there once? Progressive state!:rolleyes:

But, protestors like that, you just beat them down - no talk - just beat them down bad. Then hope for a change of venue to the real world.

Suff
06-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Anyone care to post the thinking of Prof Ward Churchill of the U of Colorado?? His thinking was that the victims of 9/11 "got exactly what they had coming to them."

Now you see.... as much as me using these Christians to "broad brush"... You do much the same.

Did you know that Ward Churchill wrote the piece that contained "Little Eichman" on September 12, 2001? Did you know that he was specifically trying to write a Piece that was POLAR to what the mainstream media was spouting.

On 9/12/01 we did not know all the facts of 9/11/01. He was trying, in a scholarly fashion to examine the tragedy from different angles. He did not EQUATE Eichman and the people in the towers he COMPARED them. That is two different things. His later writings were tempered by current information. But yet... Your people Mel... Your Christian Brothers, and your Conservative brothers completely twisted this guy around...

he was a knee high nobody , until he got invited to make a speech at a college in 2004. Only then, taking the quote out of context and manipulated to fit the arguement, did he become the DEVIL you think he is.

And did'nt the Conservatives use this little tiny nobody professor, to DEMONIZE the entire Academic community as whacko liberals? yes Mel they did.

So how do you like it? You want I should go get you 1000's , if not 10's of thousands of Conservatives with REPULSIVE behavior? Then Lump you in with a twist of the facts and a revision of the events?

Believe me Mel... The Christians Conservatives BROUGHT the fight to Boulder Colorado... Ward Churchill did not go looking for them.

On the other hand.. These Baptist Chrsitians got on a BUS and came here looking to disgrace our Soldiers funeral. Looking to defame us and shame us!

You want to be seperated from them? They are to Radical for you? Then I have one suggestion. Don't do it to the other side.

Suff
06-28-2005, 06:29 PM
...[QUOTE]. What goes around comes around. God doesn't hate Mass, but a lot of people sure do.

I wish! We only have 6 million people, and last year we had nearly 17 Million Tourist's and Visitors. To much.

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Christians are an odd lot.

Sometimes I don't get you, you know that? I'll be shaking my head all night over this one...

There are odd Jews, odd Christians, odd Muslims, all kinds of ODD people....

You (Mr. Massachusetts guy) should know this better than anyone....

I'm Christian, and I would never, EVER stoop so low as to desecrate somone's funeral with this kind of crap. And I'm sure 99% of all Christians would agree with me....

The fact that you would take the opportunity to pin this CRIME (and yes, what they did was a crime in my book) on CHRISTIANS in general, is absurd, and quite offensive.

Suff
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
The fact that you would take the opportunity to pin this CRIME (and yes, what they did was a crime in my book) on CHRISTIANS in general, is absurd, and quite offensive.

I do not think it is a crime. It is the right of all americans to demonstrate peacefully.

As far as your misunderstanding of me... That confuse's me. Because this is right out of the Republican Playbook.

What year did Jane Fonda go to Hanoi? 1967? Damn near 45 years ago?

How many times have I heard this in the last four years.

"The terrorist's attacked our country, killed 3000 people and the Liberals want to send "Jane Fonda" to negotiate with them". !

The lump in... thats what you called it? Did'nt you? How do you like it? Your shaking your head?

These are Christians. The current administration has made its Christian faith a talking point of its strategy for America. So how am I much Different than you in that I will take small sub-section of your demographic and highlight it as a way to denegrate you all?

The machinations are different... the time is different and the people are different... but the modus operandi is the same. Republicans choose to take a Liberal Like Jane Fonda and call all liberals Traitors, enemy sympathizers and communist (s). You can try and mainstream jane Fonda all you want... I can give you 100's of examples of edgey people that Conservatives have used to degenerate Liberals.

What's different is that you've never had it turned on you. I choose at this time to accept these Christians as representative of most Christians. I do this in the same manner that Conservatives have used Jane Fonda as representative of most Liberals. I see slight differences, but my thesis is accurate

If it makes you uncomfortable?, then perhaps you should look at your leaders and the tactic's they have used to divide the country. Further, if you do not like the tactics, I suggest you consider voting secularly, and progressively. Because as you will probably agree, it is wrong, and it is unfair, and it is harmful. I only did it to hold a Mirror up to Christian Conservatives who think they operate with impunity.

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I do not think it is a crime. It is the right of all americans to demonstrate peacefully.

And I agree, which is why I said it was a crime to ME personally....I would never support actual legislation to take away their right to lawfully demonstrate...

"The terrorist's attacked our country, killed 3000 people and the Liberals want to send "Jane Fonda" to negotiate with them". !

I don't see how this is even remotely similar, but maybe that's just me. I'm extra dumb today I suppose. Plus, I've never lumped Jane Fonda in with all Liberals. She's in her own extra special category....just like those protesters should be in your book.

Tom
06-30-2005, 12:04 AM
If Suff is representative of all liberals, why do they have so many issues with God? They afraid of Him? They don't want anyone talking about Him?
They castigate anyone who tries?
Sure seems that way.
And, when you paint ME with your brush, you get paint on yourself......every whine you mentioned here is absolutely the way of the libs on this board - only to a higher degree. Many times, the conservatives here disagree with the republicans, but I never hear a lib disagreeing with anything demo.
I find it rather ignorant when resident libs call the righties "lemmings" because they always support Bush (while THEY, who always oppose him are somehow NOT lemmings???? WTF is that all about??)

Even when we agree with a lib * those cretains who disrupted a funeral, WE get pidgeon-holed along with the offenders.

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2005, 12:21 AM
It must have something to do with "The Playbook"

lsbets
06-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Did you know that Ward Churchill wrote the piece that contained "Little Eichman" on September 12, 2001? Did you know that he was specifically trying to write a Piece that was POLAR to what the mainstream media was spouting.

On 9/12/01 we did not know all the facts of 9/11/01. He was trying, in a scholarly fashion to examine the tragedy from different angles. He did not EQUATE Eichman and the people in the towers he COMPARED them. That is two different things. His later writings were tempered by current information. But yet... Your people Mel... Your Christian Brothers, and your Conservative brothers completely twisted this guy around...

Hey SUff, how about this Ward Churchill quote from June 23rd of this year:

"For those of you who do, as a matter of principle, oppose war in any form, the idea of supporting a conscientious objector who's already been inducted in his combat service in Iraq might have a certain appeal. But let me ask you this: Would you render the same level of support to someone who hadn't conscientiously objected, but rather instead rolled a grenade under their line officer in order to neutralize the combat capacity of their unit?"

"...Conscientious objection removes a given piece of cannon fodder from the fray. Fragging an officer has a much more impactful effect." - Ward Churchill, Portland, Oregon- 6/23/05

Is he just trying to look at things from a "scholarly" perspective, or is this guy just a major A hole? Its pretty hard to misrepresent a guy who seems to try so hard to be a total jerk. I don't think he needs any twisting around to look bad, he does it all himself.

Suff
06-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Is he just trying to look at things from a "scholarly" perspective, or is this guy just a major A hole? Its pretty hard to misrepresent a guy who seems to try so hard to be a total jerk. I don't think he needs any twisting around to look bad, he does it all himself.

I'll need a link to comment on this particular text.

I know the DOD does research on fragging, and has text on its impact.

Suff
06-30-2005, 01:46 PM
If Suff is representative of all liberals, why do they have so many issues with God? They afraid of Him? They don't want anyone talking about Him?
They castigate anyone who tries?
Sure seems that way.

On the contrary, I have a personal relationship with my creator that defines much of who I am.

The fact that you are unaware of that, and that I have not used my Faith to define you, or any issue you support indicates my willingness to keep my faith individual and personal. Commonly refered to as a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ".

Nothing in the material world impacts it. My relationship with my creator is not the slightest bit affected by;

1. What you say or do
2. Gays
3. War
4. Poverty
5. Governing
6. 10 Commandments on a wall somewhere

and on...... an on.

I struggle to understand evangelical christains incessant need to "save" and influence unwilling sections of society to adapt to thier code of life.

One very important thing that I heard once and it always stuck with me.

What other people do is a reflection of them, not me. Therefore, my personal relationship with my creator is of no consequence to anyone but me.

:ThmbUp:

Tom
06-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I just find it rather strange that liberals tend to think the only way to have religious freedom is to deny it to everyone, except islam, which colleges have rushed to make mandatory courses so we can "understand" those people.

I prefer to think of the islamic world in term of science/geography rather than theology - just give me their damn co-ordinates, that' all I need to know about them.

PaceAdvantage
06-30-2005, 10:55 PM
I just find it rather strange that liberals tend to think the only way to have religious freedom is to deny it to everyone, except islam, which colleges have rushed to make mandatory courses so we can "understand" those people.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wonatthewire1
06-30-2005, 11:05 PM
which colleges have rushed to make mandatory courses so we can "understand" those people.

Understanding equates to power and knowledge > how much does the average person understand the trade deficit, for example? Most would say "it doesn't matter to me" yet will complain about the economy or about outsourcing > if some measure of understanding is accomplished perhaps people would have a much different and perhaps even more defiant view of the world that surrounds them...

So understanding can transcend the emotional part > but it has to be objective to be useful...

Tom, which campuses are you referring to? I teach at a college as an adjunct professor and we don't have any courses like that. (I'm just wondering what they are called). Though I really only focus on the business classes that are being taught > it would be interesting to see if any of the schools around here have that.

wonatthewire1
06-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Religion is one of those personal choices that is best left to oneself...

It is sad to see that some people can be so hateful in the name of religion > whether it is Islam, Christian, Jewish, or any one of the others that are out there.

I guess those from KS conveniently forgot one of the Ten Commandments: Love thy neighbor

:eek:

Tom
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
KS ???:confused:

46zilzal
07-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Kansas, the state Dorothy returned to

wes
07-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Surf

What makes you think they even voted?

wes

Suff
07-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Surf

What makes you think they even voted?

wes

These people don't bother me. Big country..its all out there.

Every night in times square there are a bunch of black guys, giving a speech to 10 people about why the White Man is the devil. They have literature and everything... They go on an on about the White (C.I.A.) man, putting drugs in thier community, and the 2nd amendment is a tool of the Devil to get Black men to commit genocide. I've seen the schtick in Boston as well...But its a nightly event in Times Square.

What are you going to do? Free Country.

My point being, I gave them more air time than they deserve... I know they're 2 donuts short of a dozen and not indicative of most people of faith.