PDA

View Full Version : You Bet Delisted?

andicap
05-12-2001, 11:11 PM
Anyone see where NASDAQ has threatened to delist You Bet if its stock price doesn't pick up. It has to stay over $1 for several days. Fat chance!
Execs are downplaying it, saying it will remain on the NASDAQ "pink sheets," but few companies recover from a delisting.
I remember when they first started out, I was interviewing them for Blood-Horse and asking where they would advertise or market themselves. They were boasting that they would bring in new fans to racing.
They were extremely vague, saying only, across the Internet.
Well, they are heavily marketed in racing-intensive sites, but I guess the mix of a bad product (they are apparently down a lot, PA says) and the lack of being able to offer many quality tracks as well as the overall reluctence on most people's parts to bet online doomed them. Bottom line: they went into a stagnant business and didn't help expand the market.
Starting out as a closed system didn't help.
Another unrealistic business plan bites the dust.

andicap

Bobby
05-13-2001, 01:13 AM
Well, I doubt Youbet is headed down the tubes or anything. Youbet has, by far, the best product, and I imagine some other corporation will eventually buy them out (e.g., Magna or maybe even Churchill). One thing is certain, however, I would not be writing this post if it was not for Youbet. It's fine with me that Churchill and NYRA will not allow online wagering with Youbet. After all, it's their loss, not mine. I personally enjoy wagering on Mountaineer, Pimlico, Woodbine, Evangeline, etc.. Bobby

Tom
05-13-2001, 09:53 AM
Good point, Bobby-e don't have to settle for whatever the track wants to give us anymore-we have other options. This competition is good for racig-it will thin the heard and let the strong survive. I live 7 miles from a track but it might as well be on the west coast-I am not a customer becasue of the crap they put on thier race cards. Hey, if they want to run a welfare system form third rate trainers and horses its thier right-but they won;t get any of my money. I love Penn, Mnr, Evd, etc.
Tom

Que
05-13-2001, 12:46 PM
andicap,

I think YouBet puts out a very fine product. Also, I think they have very little downtime. I use YouBet everyday, and it's very seldom they are down for more than a few minutes at a time. I think what's crippled YouBet is not their product, but the politicians--i.e. the Governor of CA hasn't helped. In addition, the fact that some of the larger racing conglomerates don't allow YouBet to carry their tracks is not YouBet's fault, but only the short sightedness of an industry that's mentally bankrupt. I hope YouBet can pull through their current financial difficulties, because I don't know of any other company that has a better product.

Que.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2001, 01:44 PM
Andy,

I don't think I've ever said that YouBet is down alot. AS a matter of fact, they haven't been "down (as in unusable for over 30 minutes)" in at least a year or two as far as I know....the only problem that remains as far as I can see is that the video still sucks at times (very choppy, even with a cable modem).

I still LOVE YouBet and think they are the greatest thing around...I for one hope they survive as a company....

==PA

NNMan
05-13-2001, 07:11 PM
I have used YouBet for over two years with almost no down time at all. The
A/V is bad at times but I don't watch many races anyway. It is a pity that
thay haven't done as well in the market as they could have. I think they
were too late in getting the Internet-based version going. It looks
as good as the CD version and is a lot more flexible to use. I agree that
most of their problems have been politically related.

I sure hope they survive.

Regards,