PDA

View Full Version : Hardly a surpise

46zilzal
06-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Republicans Voice Their Doubts

GOP senators tell Rumsfeld they fear the public is turning against the war in Iraq. 'People are beginning to question,' one says.

By Maura Reynolds / Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — One senator described the public's perception of the war in Iraq as "more and more like Vietnam." A second worried that "our very presence there inspires more insurgents." A third said the strain on the armed forces "is getting worse, not better."

Military brass had heard such comments before when they trooped up Capitol Hill to answer questions from Congress. But this time there was a difference: The comments were coming from Republicans.

"We will lose this war if we leave too soon. And what is likely to make us do that? The public going south," said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). "And that is happening, and that worries me greatly."

46zilzal
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
BY DREW BROWN and LEILA FADEL
DETROIT FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

WASHINGTON -- The top U.S. commander in the Persian Gulf told Congress on Thursday that the Iraqi insurgency is undiminished and that foreign fighters continue to swell its ranks, an assessment that seemed to be at odds with more optimistic claims from the Bush administration.

Gen. John Abizaid, who heads U.S. Central Command, agreed with his superiors that the operation in Iraq will succeed, but he distanced himself from Vice President Dick Cheney's statement last month that the insurgency was "in its last throes."

Asked at a contentious Senate hearing by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., whether he agreed with Cheney's assessment, Abizaid declined to answer directly. He said the insurgency is essentially unchanged from six months ago.

lsbets
06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
What's funny is the spin the media is putting on his comments, because if you heard what he said (I did), he said morale and confidence are high, the insurgency represents a very small percentage of the population, and the insurgency is being beaten. When the transcript gets posted on the committee website, I'll post the link, and everyone can see that the reality of what the General said does not even resemle what the media has reported (which is not a shock to anyone who acknowledges that the media has an agenda that twists their reporting).

Secretariat
06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, and Cheney said we are in the last throes of the insurgency..it's a slam dunk.

kenwoodallpromos
06-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I heard there are 1 billion muslims- and were about 50,000 insurgents. That is .0005%.
The hand-wringers tell us they are like the Asians- they can wait us out. But the insurgents are always in a big hurry to disrupt Spanish and Iraqi elections because they know people want democracy.
Where are the RPG and morter attacks and regular convoy attacks? Thay are about down to car bombs, and now "in the last throes" if you define that as down to Palestinian-type suicide vest attacks. Look at the downgrading of their weapons.
We will win because our cheap labor force keeps moving westward and is now in Pakistan- the Middle East is next. Our Defense Dept has it mapped out and saw the breifing on CSPAN. When we go into Africa to get cheap labor the New World Order will be complete and we will enslave the Africans in the own homeland. Believe it or not.

JPinMaryland
06-25-2005, 12:21 AM
wow! circle the nonsensical passages:

" I heard there are 1 billion muslims- and were about 50,000 insurgents. That is .0005%. "

What exactly am I to draw from this? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? If .0005% of the pop. can do this much harm? What happens if they really get into gear?

" The hand-wringers tell us they are like the Asians- they can wait us out. But the insurgents are always in a big hurry to disrupt Spanish and Iraqi elections because they know people want democracy."

Where to begin? which people want democracy? The Iraqis? I dunno if they do or dont. And what do the Madrid bombings tell us about the tempo of the insurgency? Hardly something to draw conclusions from.

" Where are the RPG and morter attacks and regular convoy attacks? "

You're not looking hard enuf.

"Look at the downgrading of their weapons."

?? The whole region is filled with weaponry, this is one of the great obstacles to all this.

I'll let someone else do the rest; writing clearly might be useful for the future, so it wont sound like the Defense dept is getting briefings from CSPAN:

We will win because our cheap labor force keeps moving westward and is "now in Pakistan- the Middle East is next. Our Defense Dept has it mapped out and saw the breifing on CSPAN. When we go into Africa to get cheap labor the New World Order will be complete and we will enslave the Africans in the own homeland. Believe it or not."

JustRalph
06-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I am having my doubts.............. I am wondering why we haven't killed a whole lot more of these bastards, and why havent' we moved on to another country by now.................???????????

46zilzal
06-26-2005, 08:53 PM
I am having my doubts.............. I am wondering why we haven't killed a whole lot more of these bastards, and why havent' we moved on to another country by now.................???????????
Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill anything and everything that ain't a TRUE red white and blue

PaceAdvantage
06-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I think somebody touched a nerve....

Tom
06-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Heh, heh, heh. Ralphie delivers a bonkers blow! :D

wonatthewire1
06-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Just nuke them > worked with Japan

wonatthewire1
06-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Nuking them is cheaper than trying to subject them and have to listen to whiny Demoncrats cry about detention centers and freedom fighters and women on the front lines crap

Kreed
06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
LOL ... how easy you take our boys' lives. not intentionally, but out of hate
and UNknowledge. most of you here are beyond fighting, yet Because you recall
youth, you decide to march others to battle. its kinda cute in a way. but do
you really understand the consequences? of course not. its wayyy beyond
your paltry cortexES ........ LOVE is the answer or did you 4get the Beatles?
why cant you accept this planet with all its footprints?

46zilzal
06-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Just nuke them > worked with Japan
in today's environment??? Fallout, genetic damage, etc. etc.