PDA

View Full Version : Earlie Fries 58-year old jockey article

Sundown
06-21-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/horse_racing/11918887.htm

Good article on jockey Earlie Fries. I don't know how usual/unusaul a 58 year old jockey is, but he started racing the year after I was born and seems to be a real hard worker.

I liked this quote towards the bottom of the article.

"I'm probably one of the hardest-trying jockeys," Fires said, explaining his success. "I hardly ever give up on a horse. Sometimes I get criticized for it, but I try as hard as I can even when it looks like I'm beat." The bettors, he said, deserve nothing less.

He grabbed the show spot on Saturday in the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup at Lone Star.

Zman179
06-21-2005, 02:33 PM
His brother French is pretty good too. Especially with ketchup.

headhawg
06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I thought that his brother changed his first name to Freedom? :)

Suff
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I thought that his brother changed his first name to Freedom? :)

he does have a brother... Also a Jockey. Hurt. He's Paralyzed, in a wheel chair. I'm pretty sure his name is Fires not fries. He raced on The Chicago cicuit for years. He's a speed jockey...or gate jockey. Likes the lead.

I've seen his name in the Hall of Fame at Saratoga.

sealord
06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
I like him with gravy and/or mayo personally.

bdhsheets
06-22-2005, 12:59 AM
That's all I can say about the denigrating replies. Nothing but mental midgets.

Like so many great jocks [why?, who knows?] he battled with demon rum and that in part, helped prevent him from achieving true greatness. He was truly touched being elected to Racings Hall of Fame.

toetoe
06-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Gents,

May I present CURLY Fries, the funny one?

betchatoo
06-22-2005, 02:30 AM
His name is Fires, not Fries. And his sister Miss has been riding most of my horses.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2005, 03:53 AM
bdhheets, this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. Get a sense of humor!

And please, if you still don't get it, read the title on this thread. Sundown screwed up the spelling, and the guys on here ran with it....it's funny, and harmless. Laugh a little...it's good for your soul....

Suff
06-22-2005, 12:40 PM
His name is Fires, not Fries. And his sister Miss has been riding most of my horses.

He has two brothers who still train, I think. Midwest circuit. You know them?

Figman
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
I agree with PA that this took a funny turn but to answer Suff, one of the Fires' brothers is a successful trainer named JINX which means:
noun: an evil spell
noun: a person believed to bring bad luck to those around him
verb: foredoom to failure (Example: "This project is jinxed!")
verb: cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something

I hope JINX doesn't read the PA Board about his little brother! If he does, we'ree all in trouble!

Valuist
06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
William "Jenks" Fires has been a longtime trainer on the Oaklawn-Churchill circuits.

BHD-Interesting I had never heard that before re: a drinking problem.

One thing about Earlie, as a bettor, you always get your moneys worth. Some owners are trainers aren't crazy about him because his whip is as vicious as anyones out there.

NoDayJob
06-22-2005, 03:39 PM
:D I prefer thousand island dressing with mine. Try it, you'll like it. :D

NDJ

headhawg
06-22-2005, 04:08 PM
One thing about Earlie, as a bettor, you always get your moneys worth. Some owners are trainers aren't crazy about him because his whip is as vicious as anyones out there.
You're right about the whip action. Has anyone ever done a test of the "Earlie Fires off" angle? Depending on how a horse reacts to the whip it might be considered a negative play to bet the horse next time out. Just curious.

gillenr
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
He also has a relative on the AP starting gate crew.

Pace Cap'n
06-22-2005, 08:50 PM
At Oaklawn Park,on a wall near the 2nd floor lounge, hang a number of drawings of racing personalities with Oaklawn connections. There must be at least six portraits of "Fires".