PDA

View Full Version : Faces missing from new N.E. Racing Hall

Suff
06-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Paul Daley of The Lowell Sun wrote a niece article on the New England Hall of Fame inductees. He talked about Carl Gamberdella. A jockey I've mentioned as one I think, belongs in the Museum at Saratoga.
Even if you have no interest in New England racing, this is a good historical look at racing in the North East from the 30's to the 90's.

http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_2809893

But what about Rockingham Park's Lou Smith, and jockeys Anthony DeSpirito and Carl Gambardella? Have we forgotten them so quickly?

Regarding the jockeys, DeSpirito had the best natural ability of anyone to come out of New England, having been born in Lawrence, six miles from Rockingham Park, on Christmas Eve, 1936. At the age of 16, this meteor led the nation in wins with 390, over a third-year West Coast rider, a kid named Willie Shoemaker.

The following year, 1953, DeSpirito followed up his sensational rookie year with another 311 winners despite injuring a disc in his back. DeSpirito was such a sure thing to finish in the money that the bookies instituted “The DeSpirito Rule”, where you couldn't bet more to place or to show than you did to win.

But injuries and the inability to say no to friends would mar his career. Over the years, Tony lost a kidney, his spleen, broke ribs, his back, his jaw, and lacerated his brain. He quit at ages 22, 25, 35, and 37, but got the bug again and was getting fit for another comeback at 39 when he died in 1975 when his mother found him choked to death. He was a true shooting star.

Gambardella was DeSpirito's opposite number, plying his trade for 38 years on the New England tracks and racking up 6,349 career wins from 39,018 mounts and $29,389,041 in purses earned, an astronomical number for a New England rider. His maiden win came on Rollin Warm in 1956 at Hagerstown, Md., and he retired from the saddle in 1995.

Unfortunately, for many, Gambardella will be remembered too often for his prickly relationship with stewards, media and track management, at least in his earlier years. Like the Red Sox's Jim Rice, that may have hurt him regarding the Hall of Fame.

JPinMaryland
06-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Having mentioned New england and shooting stars I couldnt help but mention one: Tony Conigliaro. I happened to be in a bookstore the other day leafing through a book about him. He made a comeback with the Calif. angels in 1973, I think it was. And he was still only 28, was it? Cant recall the details now. Then he made another comeback with the Red Sox in 1975 as a dh. (the DH rule actually inspired him to give it one more try). His final try ended when the sox put Jim Rice in the line up as dh. I know this is off topic but I couldnt resist...

toetoe
06-22-2005, 01:43 AM
JP,

Tony C. ended up in San Francisco as a sports anchor. Truly horrible anchor, lovable man. Everybody loved the guy. After suffering a stroke, he lingered in bad shape, a long time. Thanks for reminding me of Tony C.

Now, I'm sure these guys are already in:

Jim Nance

Babe Parilli

Pumpsey Green

George Scott

Ken Harrelson

Bailey Howell

Bill Buckner ... naw, forget it, he'd refuse it, and I can't blame him

Larry Siegfried

JustRalph
06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Tony C's career ended (for all intents and purpose) when he got hit in the face with a pitch. Almost killed him.............and he lost an eye. In spite of being blind in an eye he actually came back and hit 36 home runs a few years later. But the vision went down hill. He ended up out of baseball a few years later. I saw a show about him on real sports with Bryant Gumbel

I believe he actually recorded some albums........and had a minor music career too

JPinMaryland
06-22-2005, 12:02 PM
The story of Despirito reminded me so much of Tony C that I just had to mention it. The prodigy, the numerous comebacks, the injuries, the final tragedy. And then he managed to work Jim Rice into it! I could not resist the comparison.

How old was he when he got beaned? That was 1967, I think. Then his comeback with the angels he was still only 28? Is that what I read?

As for the eyesight, the book said the doc said he was like 30/200 in the left eye but that a few degrees off center the vision was better. I.e. he had a blind spot in the dead center part of the eye so he had to look away slightly as the ball arrived in order to see it. It must have been a hell of a way to play baseball but he did this for like half a season with the Angels.

Eventually thee blind spot (really dim spot) got larger according to the book. The book also said that when he retired in 1973, he told the ANgels he did not want the rest of his salary but that after the season was over he asked for it ($40,000) and Mr. Autry paid it. THe book said Autru was tired of fighting Alex Johnson in court but I like to think he had better motives.

Then there was the matter of the infamous press conference, this was the day after the all star game in....1973? was it? Tony C.; his brother and Carl Yazstremski. Apparently Billy had said that Carl had got his brother kicked off the Sox and this was a press conference to make amends or some sort. Apparently it was really strained.. THe book could have explained this better.

Anyone remember any of that?