PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Mines The "Deep Web

Suff
06-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Interesting development in on-line commerce, and content.

Just when you think the Internet found a Model....it moves.

Yahoo (Quote, Chart) announced it has started testing a service that allows users to search subscriber-only Web sites such as LexisNexis and the Wall Street Journal Online, areas known as "Deep Web."

The new search service, Yahoo Search Subscriptions, moves the Internet media company closer to rival Google as a distributor and aggregator of paid-for content, allowing people to search for information on sites that search engines typically cannot access.

http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3513736

This is in line with the Free Video thread on the horse racing section of this board. Also, we often discuss editorial, copyright, and access issues on the board.

Look at it this way. Wall Street Journal is pay for content site. Probably the most successful in terms of Revenue stream. 700,000 paid subscribers who pay a monthly fee. Here's the problem with that. They have a tiny fraction of the unique users demographic. Forbes.com by contrast, has 10.8 Million Unique users. WSJ reports 5.3 million unique users to its front page, but that number drops to less than 100 thousand on deep storys and fring content. That has no advertising value. On WSJ it has some, because the demographics are elite. But 100,000 nobody's on any other site produce little advertising rates.

So as much the NY TIMES, and many other sites are thinking about requiring Registration and/or Subscription. The market pressure for Mass Audience has them rethinking that by partnering with YAHOO. WSJ is essentially giving away the Content now, if you come through YAHOO.

It makes sense. BusinessWeek.com , Forbes.com, even Inc.com have stolen readership from the Dow Jones Corp. SmartMoney.com, which Dow Jones owns, is outperforming the WSJ on-line in advertising revenue. The free Content brings the people, The people bring the advertisers.

To put it in further contrast. Matt Drudge gets as many users to his front page as the NYTIMES does. One could suggest that the DRUDGE audience is more attractive to some advertisers than the NYTIMES Audience. NY Times has been the king of PRINT media prices for Decades.

The internet is still such a moving target... One wrong move can kill you. People can move by the Millions in a second! If you invest 100's of millions on a model that is outdated in two years time....your cooked.

Tom
06-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Not to mention that irresponsible banking institutions are aking all your personal information available to any 8th grader with any computer smarts!

The net has become the vast wasteland that was once television. Only TV never crept into your home and stole things or screwed up your computers.

Suff
06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
This is a good read. It is worth paying attention to these developments. If the internet plays a significant role in your personal or professional interest (s), it is extremely significant.

In our experience , DRF instilled a policy that requires a mininum of at least a registration, for news content. Bloodhorse & the Thoroughbred Times probably benefit from that because they have free content, and no subscription.

WSJ has 700,000 subscribers. but that tails off to less than 200K on some page reads. Deep articles less than 100k people read daily. Mass Market and Mass Appeal companies, will not buy imbedded banners for those pages.

Forbes which has free content, has nearly 11 Million unique users, and on its deep sections, lifestyle, real-estate, Auto, and fringe news, it still has a Million page views.... That brings in advertising money.

This new develpment shows that subscriber based models, and "pay for" models are feeling the market presuure to reach a wider audience. Why pay the WSJ or NY Times premium advertsing dollars, when Forbes, Business Week, Kiplinger and many others have the better demographics at cheaper money.

The DRF takes what little data a registration requires. Location, tracks played, purchasing habits, and trys to pitch thier audience as targeted. If DRF is charging $x,000.00 for imbedded ads, but an advertiser can reach the same people and more people by spreading out to T-breb Times, Bloodhorse, TVG, BRIS, Track WWW sites they will do it. If 40 % of DRF registrants play NYRA and it's $50,000 to reach them on DRF... For less money advertisers will go straight to NYRA.com where those same demographics exist.

A captive audience might not be the magic bullet these firms think it is.

J-bred
06-19-2005, 02:43 PM
When they ask you to register, just do what I do... give them false information! :liar:

Suff
06-19-2005, 02:49 PM
When they ask you to register, just do what I do... give them false information! :liar:

That can benefit them.....believe it or not. If you register with an exgerated household income, or amount wagered, or tracks played, or frequency of DRF use it works in thier favor.

They tell Youbet.com that 25% its audience plays 5 tracks, makes big money, and has a handle of 20 grand. Youbet bites and spends....

If you tell them you make 15 grand, your handle is $10.00 and you buy the DRF once a year.... then you hurt them.

Tom
06-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I tell them my name is Jose, I make $40 a year, cannot read, and bet $2.00 every year on the Derby. And I am using a pulbic library computer because I don't own one.

And I am 8 yers old. And live in Boston.

superfecta
06-20-2005, 01:29 AM
I tell them my name is Jose, I make $40 a year, cannot read, and bet $2.00 every year on the Derby. And I am using a pulbic library computer because I don't own one.

And I am 8 yers old. And live in Boston.
Why only lie about your name ? :lol: :lol: :lol: AH couldn't resist.Sorry.Get my Credit Card info off the web and get yourself something nice for Fathers day. :eek:

Tom
06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Already got it! :eek:

Thanks for the hot tub!:D