PDA

View Full Version : Good summary on Downing Street Memos

Secretariat
06-18-2005, 03:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050618/ap_on_re_eu/downing_street_memos_2;_ylt=Arl2._bsqd.0CAzfL.4zsz RX6GMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

hcap
06-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Sec,

Don't forget Powell had warned the president according to Bob Woodward about the Pottery Barn effect - break Iraq and "you know you're going to be owning this place" .

Also from Woodward.."He saw in Cheney a sad transformation. The cool operator from the first gulf war just would not let go. Cheney now had an unhealthy fixation. Nearly every conversation or reference came back to Al Qaeda and trying to nail the connection with Iraq. He would often have an obscure piece of intelligence. Powell thought that Cheney took intelligence and converted uncertainty and ambiguity into fact. It was about the worst charge that Powell could make about the vice president. But there it was."

And

"The more Powell dug, the more he realized that the human sources were few and far between on Iraq's W.M.D. It was not a pretty picture."

If you remember, everything Powell laid out before the UN has turned out to be false. Gee I wonder how come Powell quit??

And as bush was saying "I have no war plans on my desk." Woodward continues

....The plans for invading "The House of Broken Toys," as the C.I.A. referred to Iraq, may not have been sitting on his desk, but he secretly started planning with Rummy for war with Iraq in November 2001, and with Tommy Franks starting the next month. Once they were thick into the planning, the president couldn't turn back, of course. That would make him like the loathed Bill Clinton - a lot of bold talk and not much action - not like "The Man," as Mr. Cheney called his warrior president.

BTW, I believe over $700 million was diverted secretly from the Afganistan war funding around the time bush and cronies were claiming war as a last resort in Iraq. Of course they never told congress. If Clinton can be impeached for lying about a blow job, shouldn't our fearless leader be questioned about illegal funding for war? let alone the disclosures in the Downing Street Memos?

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2005, 02:34 AM
I'm still waiting for the impeachment process to begin. Anyone have a timeline?