PDA

View Full Version : Yeast by John Beaver

JimG
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I won a rare auction the other night for the software Yeast, written by the late John Beaver. I was an internet friend of John's on the old Prodigy board and bought it for nostalgiac reasons mostly as I currently use other software.

Anyway, I was wondering will the software work with the Procaps (pcs) files renamed extension to drf? I sure hope so as I'd like to give it a look. I know not many copies were sold, but I recall someone here owning and using it. Thanks.

Jim

andicap
06-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it works with BRIS. I have a DOS program Beav wrote that charted BRIS speed figs a la the Sheets --

Figman
06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I doubt it. I use the Yeast printout for NYRA everyday with the BRIS-AODDs files but it does not work with any other BRIS file that I have tried other than the single comma delimited file. I have never tried the BRIS multi. If the file your referencing was offered for free in recent years, I have tried it and it didn't work with a file extension change. However, I don't remember specifically which BRIS files they were and if the file you are asking about was included. TSNHorse 50 cent files definitely DON'T WORK even when I change the file extension.

By the way, this is a great summary program for people that like ratings and it points out the race winner on the NYRA circuit from its top power rating (POW) each race with no further handicapping close to 26% over a six year period. Among the first and second choices the average is nearly five wins per day among the usual nine race NYRA program. I'm not lost without this daily printout but it is a great helper that always compliments my past performances.

I use the BRIS PP Generator everyday but no longer use AODDS. The reason I download the AODDS files is that one file is used to print both the single page double sided 8 1/2 by 11 YEAST sheet & the PP Generator past performances that I print on legal size paper.

JimG
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. Funny, some programs will work with a change of the file extension and some do not. The pcs file is a single comma delimited file like the drf file not a multi. I'm still looking forward to receiving it if only for old time's sake.

Jim

BillW
06-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Funny, some programs will work with a change of the file extension and some do not. The pcs file is a single comma delimited file like the drf file not a multi. I'm still looking forward to receiving it if only for old time's sake.

Jim

The ones that won't are probably looking for DRF specific data (sr-tv?) I also assume if you have the key, the gibberish at the end of each record may mean something and allow one to differentiate. Otherwise the files are the same.

formula_2002
06-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I won a rare auction the other night for the software Yeast, written by the late John Beaver. I was an internet friend of John's on the old Prodigy board and bought it for nostalgiac reasons mostly as I currently use other software.

Anyway, I was wondering will the software work with the Procaps (pcs) files renamed extension to drf? I sure hope so as I'd like to give it a look. I know not many copies were sold, but I recall someone here owning and using it. Thanks.

Jim

John Beaver.. the name caught me immediately..old prodigy boy..sorry to hear that we lost him...

If I recall correctly he once sent me a pick 6 calculator for formating a pick 6 ticket.

Joe M

John
06-18-2005, 11:34 PM
I thought John Beaver's family was to continue and make a window version.Seems I heard this on the board some time ago.

Lefty
06-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeast will not work with TSN or Procaps even with renaming. It works with Bris. I once asked John Beaver to make it work with TSN and he said he was very sick and didn't have the energy. A truly nice man and he is missed.

Lefty
06-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure but I think the renaming issue has to do with variant. The Tsn files do not contain a variant so don't blve they can be renamed to work with prgms that require the variant. However, this just my guess and I could be wrong, but I don't think so...

formula_2002
06-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Can the yeast program read a Bris, single file drf file.?

Thanks

Joe M

Figman
06-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Dear Formula,
If you research the third reply in this series on YEAST, you will find your answer.

redhorse
06-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Any of you guys have a copy of this software for sale or trade. Does any one know if a Windows version was ever produced.
Redhorse

formula_2002
06-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Dear Formula,
If you research the third reply in this series on YEAST, you will find your answer.

Figman, thanks.
That looks like a yes.

Any way to get a demo disk?

JimG
06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
To my knowledge no demo disk nor has there been a windows version developed.

Jim

Figman
06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Here is what the YEAST output looks like with explanations:
http://tinyurl.com/878q3

formula_2002
06-20-2005, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=Figman]Here is what the YEAST output looks like with explanations:
http://tinyurl.com/878q3[/QUOTE

Thanks for the post.

There is a lot more to his handicapping then figures.
There is a certain delight to his character shown in his commentary.

JimG
06-20-2005, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Figman]Here is what the YEAST output looks like with explanations:
http://tinyurl.com/878q3[/QUOTE

Thanks for the post.

There is a lot more to his handicapping then figures.
There is a certain delight to his character shown in his commentary.

He was one heck of a guy missed by all those who conversed with him. A very knowledgeable player who did not mind being somewhat inconventional in his thinking.

Jim

JimG
06-20-2005, 02:33 PM
As an update...

Received the program today. Since I have XP, I cannot dos print but can copy and paste to a notepad file for printing.

Program still runs fine, except it would not work with my Colonial Downs files. My guess is Colonial is not a track that Beav either new about or cared about and it is probably not recognized by the program. All other track files have worked fine.

And Lefty is right, it uses drf files only from brisnet. When renaming a Procaps file it ran for a horse then said something about dividing by zero. I bet is looking for a variant that does not exist in Procaps file.

Jim