PDA

View Full Version : Let me test you folks!

DrugSalvastore
06-15-2005, 11:47 PM
I want to see just how sharp you guys are. Below are 20 DrugS style trivia questions on horse racing--some pretty tough questions! Whoever posts the most answers right by 6PM Eastern tomorrow wins. In case of a tie, the first post wins. The prize for winning will be either the Handicapping Video 'Spotting The Ready To Win Racehorse' It's a body language video with Joe Tackach or a homemade video tape that shows the lifetime races of Point Given, Ruffian, and Ghostzapper.

#1. This horse had a lifetime record of 24-wins from-24 starts between the distances of 7 furlongs-to-1 1/4 miles. 14 of the wins came in Grade 1 company, and six of the wins either set or equaled track records. Name this horse.

#2. Secretariat was the betting favorite in 20 of his 21 lifetime starts. Only one start in his life did he not go to post as the favorite. Name the horse who was made a 3-to-5 favorite over "Big Red" in the 1972 Sanford Stakes.

#3. Only one horse in the history of racing has won 3 or more Grade 1 races by 10 lengths each. Name the only horse to ever win three different Grade 1 races by 10+ lengths each.

#4. Name the only Triple crown winner to NOT be favored in the betting for the Belmont Stakes.

#5. Only one horse has ever won an Eclipse award without ever running a single race in the United States in his life. Name him.

#6. In the 20 year history of the Breeders Cup, name the horse who holds the record for all-time largest margin of victory in a Breeders Cup race.

#7. What was Secretariat's lifetime record in stake races that begin with the letter W.

#8. Name the only horse to ever win a Breeders Cup Race and have a 1st and 2nd dam who also won a Breeders Cup race. (basically I'm asking for the only BC winner who's mother and mother's mother also won a BC race)

#9. Name the only two horses to ever go to post as a shorter price than Smarty Jones, in a race against him.

#10. Name the only non 3-year-old to ever win a triple crown race.

#11. Name the only horse to ever officially win the Ky Derby, The Preakness, The Belmont Stakes, and the Travers.

#12. Name the trainer who won a Saratoga training title 35 years ago and has since won the Pacific Classic six times.

#13. Name the only horse to ever put a neck in front of Ruffian during a race. (It happened between calls, so that is why Ruffian's form is all 1's)

#14. The Allen Jerkens trained Sky Beauty brought a perfect 12-for-12 lifetime record at Belmont Park into the Grade 1 Shuvee at Belmont. Sky Beauty got smoked by 5 1/2 lengths and was 16 lengths clear of the 3rd place finisher. Name the horse who beat her.

#15. Name the horse who was the leading broodmare sire for ten straight years.

#16. Name the racetrack that John Henry debuted at, and won his first lifetime start by a nose.

#17. Name the only jockey to ever ride Sunday Silence and not win a race on him.

#18. Name the only horse who currently holds two track records on the main track at Churchill Downs.

#19. Name the only horse to ever win horse of the year honors 5 times in a row.

#20. Name the horse who broke his maiden in the Kentucky Derby and proceeded to win the Preakness, Withers, and Belmont Stakes in his next three starts.

KingChas
06-16-2005, 12:24 AM
I want to see just how sharp you guys are. Below are 20 DrugS style trivia questions on horse racing--some pretty tough questions! Whoever posts the most answers right by 6PM Eastern tomorrow wins. In case of a tie, the first post wins. The prize for winning will be either the Handicapping Video 'Spotting The Ready To Win Racehorse' It's a body language video with Joe Tackach or a homemade video tape that shows the lifetime races of Point Given, Ruffian, and Ghostzapper.

Nice Quiz Drug -but.....if we put the answers up here the last post will win :D

I hope they tie since I'm the 1st post :kiss:

RXB
06-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Yikes! Those are some posers.

The only ones I am 100% sure of, without having to resort to Google or other resources, are 1, 6 and 19. I'm 98% sure on 7, 12 and 15. Some of the others I have a guess, and others I have no clue.

Time to research.

KingChas
06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Yikes! Those are some posers.

The only ones I am 100% sure of, without having to resort to Google or other resources, are 1, 6 and 19. I'm 98% sure on 7, 12 and 15. Some of the others I have a guess, and others I have no clue.

Time to research.

Just joking Drug excellent quiz.I know I'm DQ'd coming out of the gate. :lol:

RXB
06-16-2005, 03:41 AM
By the way, in my research I find question #4 to be inaccurate. In fact, two Triple Crown champions were not favoured in the Belmont Stakes.

cj
06-16-2005, 10:26 AM
1. Spectacular Bid
2. Linda's Chief
3. Inside Information
4. Assault and Gallant Fox
5. Singspiel
6. Inside Information
7. Zefo for three
8. Storm Flag Flying
9. Purge, Mr. Jester
10. Montague
11. Whirlaway
12. Bobby Frankel
13. Hot n Nasty (though technically Foolish Pleasure led her in the start of the match race)
14. Inside Information
15. Sir Gallahad III
16. Jefferson Downs
17. Aaron Gryder
18. Chilukki
19. Kelso
20. Sir Barton

Tough quiz!!!

rastajenk
06-16-2005, 02:04 PM
What did Singspiel do to win an Eclipse...win at Woodbine? :confused:

Tee
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
What did Singspiel do to win an Eclipse...win at Woodbine? :confused:

Well yes he did win at Woodbine :)

Seriously though,

Pilsudski won the BC Turf at Woodbine, Singspiel finished 2nd.

Here's was Singspiel did during his Eclipse award winning season.

At 4
Eclipse Champion turf horse

1st
Japan Cup (G1), 12f, beating Helissio.
1st
Canadian International (G1), 12f, Woodbine, by 2l, beating Chief Bearhart.
1st
Gordon Richards S (G3), 10f, Sandown, by 3l, beating Pilsudski.
1st
Select S (G3), 10f, Goodwood, beating Wall Street.
2nd
Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1), 12f, to Pilsudski, beating Swain.
2nd
Coronation Cup (G1), 12f, Epsom, by a neck, to Swain.

Tee
06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey Craig - u have the teachers edition or what? :D

Bobby
06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
yea really

RXB
06-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I couldn't find the answer to #10 when I was Googling last night.

cj
06-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I couldn't find the answer to #10 when I was Googling last night.

I found most I didn't already know in my "Champions" book.

As for #10, I knew it had to be the Preakness, so I just looked up the winners list. I found one that listed the horses as C for Colt, and just happened to see one horse with an H. I'm assuming this is the answer, but I don't know for sure.

OTM Al
06-16-2005, 04:40 PM
The answer to # 10 was in the drf a few weeks ago in one of their little trivia quizzes. Don't remember his name, but do remember he was 5 and that was on of the New York years for the race

Buckeye
06-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Who's afraid of the friendly Ghost?

That's my question.

DrugSalvastore
06-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Pretty impressive stuff by CJ, he swept the board and even corrected my mistake on question 4.

It figures the winner has to be from La Louviere, Belgium. Where ever that is. All I know about Belgium, is that when I go off to Perkins in the middle of the night for a snack--the bluebarry Belgium waffles are the truth! Good stuff. PM me or E-mail me your mailing info and let me know which video you want. I don't know how much international shipping is--but I'll keep my word here. Great job my man!

As for question 10--the 1890 Preakness was run for 3-year-olds and up. That's why there has only been one non-3yo ever win a triple crown race.

cj
06-17-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm an Air Force guy, so it is still US, but do me a favor, contact Bubbles and send it to him. I don't need the stuff, already have the Takach and the races on my own tape. Thanks for the offer.

DrugSalvastore
06-17-2005, 02:41 AM
My brother's in the air-force as well. He does air-traffic-control work. They've kept him in Oklahoma for a while...but he's headed to the place North of Iraq, I think it's called Kuwait.

I thought about joining the army when I was in school--I'm glad I didn't honestly...someone like me would have ended up as gun-powder bait. I didn't even make it through high school before getting kicked out...so I doubt I would have amounted to much in the army anyway. I don't even think they let you in at that time without a diploma. I'm sure the drill sarge would have loved me.

toetoe
06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
2) Champagne Charlie
6) Arazi
9) Purge and ...?
10) Canonero II
12) R. Frankel
15) Secretariat
16) La. Downs
19) Kelso

toetoe
06-17-2005, 12:52 PM
HEY,

I got two right! The Canonero stab was based on the fact that the horses from the SoHem are rarely three in May. One reason we never see them in our T.C.