PDA

View Full Version : URGED TO PASS STUDENTS?

Bubbles
06-15-2005, 09:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050615/ap_on_re_us/failing_students

Cue the stereotypes about stupid kids!

kenwoodallpromos
06-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Would you call it universal affirmitive action?

46zilzal
06-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Schools have really gone down in my home town...I wouldn't go there today in the daylight!! let alone after dark.

Matre Dei high (Cathloic school there) did produce TWO Heismann award winners however

Tom
06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
So that explains Howard Dean, eh? :kiss:

J-bred
06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
The purpose of schools is not to educate. It is to keep people stupid and brainwash them into being good little drones, consumers, and fodder for the war machine. And to make work for useless government beaurocrats.

IMO anyone who sends their child to public school is guilty of child abuse.

Bobby
06-16-2005, 10:04 AM
The principal's name is ESTHER ok. Nuff said

OTM Al
06-16-2005, 12:46 PM
The quality of public schools depend entirely on where they are. Some are great, others absolutely awful. The No Child Left Behind program, while good in its original intent, is an absolute disaster now. It give incentive to teach at a level of mediocrity at best and pass out kids just because they have to fill a quota. The American attitude toward education is really awful in my opinion. Its as if its all right to harass and humiliate smart kids because they aren't football players (though some are too) or whatever. You wonder why children of recent immigrants do so well in school? Its simple. Their cultures respect education as the most important thing there is and they are not wrong.

Bobby
06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
The issue in schools around me:

What do you do with the Illegals that can't speak English? They r entitled to a free public education says the govt and courts. So we, the taxpayers, have to foot the bill to hire new teachers to teach "English as a 2nd language." I Really don't know what to think.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la produccisn es $80.

NoDayJob
06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
:D Teaching math 2015 :D

Duh, what's math?

NDJ

Lefty
06-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Steve, your math post is right on and funny and disturbing at the same time.
But sadly, it's the truth!

toetoe
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
StatMan,

Wonderful post, just not disturbing to me. I am so far beyond disturbability, it's pathetic. Survival instinct, maybe.

Tom
06-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Teachers have tenure, so no incentive to really do a good job. Many do, but the few bad apples are pretty much secure in thier ineptitude. The bar needs to raised on the teachers before it can be raised for the students. We need national standards that are met by every studnet befreo they can be passed on and no diplomas for failures. If we end up with 32 year olds in 8th grade, so be it.

wonatthewire1
06-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Great post.

I see it everyday in the work world > but there is an additional consideration that I find disturbing though related to education standards > the motivation of the person involved.

Have some great coworkers, but they all have one thing in common > the desire to succeed and the understanding that failure is part of the equation. Though we decided not to have children, I have observed that there is a predisposition to minimize failure while growing up > this can have tremendous consequences when "real world" dynamics become involved later in life.

Responsibility is another casualty to the equation > if there isn't any sense of responsibility related to activities, then there isn't any sense of leadership or management development. Both are crucial elements to successful businesses and lives. But I'm finding less and less in both areas...where will today's and tomorrow's solutions come from if they aren't developed from an effective educational system?

Tom
06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
No child left behind assumes all children can keep up. They can't. No matter what, some will never be very bright. That's ok, we can deal with that, we can help them out, we can make adjustments, but don't just pass them on and let them and everyone else think they are up to speed. Would it have made sense to punishe Einstein is he kept failing art? Or punish BIlly Joel is he could not grasp algebra? Kids need to find the right path more than mastering them all. After basic skills, the trails need to be diverse to accomadate everyone.

You might find this surprising, but typing and spelling were not my strong suits (:lol: ) but spell check came along and I moved on to other interests.