View Full Version : Post Position & Weight

Derek2U
05-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I'm curious ... do most players adjust their figs for Post Position or
Weight ? I've always felt adjustments introduce Slop into the
figs..

superfecta
05-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Don't know about most players ,but I only adjust for post position in races that start near the turn.Some tracks have a bias to the inside because the horses going from the outside are shut off before they can even start to run.7 furlongs at Calder,springs to mind,but there are others.Even though I make a cursory adjustment(no early speed=downgrade his chances)I don't have an exact way to measure the adjustment,just know its there.
Weight has no bearing to me,because I have no way to rate a horse that is running with 5 lbs heavier today than his last race with any accuracy.

Aussieplayer
05-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Don Scott advocated adjusting his (class/weight) ratings for everything - the difference in weight, post position, distance change, liking for the course/distance, ability of jockey, the consistency etc. - and all numerically!

He had his detractors of course, plus, he wasn't talking speed handicapping either - but it "can" be done - quite accurately (apparently). I take Nick Mordin's (UK) approach - too much adjustment is likely to spoil the broth!

Hope this helps,
AP

Foolish Pleasure
05-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Do you think it's coincidence that fillies have led quite a few BC Sprints?

Somewhere in the acceleration equation there is mass to not take into account significant swings on speedballs is doing yourself a disservice. But I don't use figs so I wouldn't know where to begin with an adjustment.