PDA

View Full Version : Horse Frothing at the mouth

TRM
06-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Today at Hollywood Park Race 6, #5 Follow the Rainbow, was excessively frothing at the mouth. I have never really noticed this before, but he was the 8/5 fav who ran 3rd. Does anyone know if this is a sign of a nervous horse like a washout?

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I've actually heard this is a good sign...something about it being a sign of "accepting" the bit....

46zilzal
06-12-2005, 08:06 PM
horses salivate when they are WORKING on the bit.

highnote
06-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I saw a couple horses frothing at the mouth on Belmont Stakes day, but didn't note how they ran.

I also noticed that all or at least many of Allen Jerkins horses were either sweating profusely or had been sprayed with a hose. I don't think it was a hose, though, because other horses were obviously sprayed to cool them down, but only in the front. Jerkins horses were also acting nervously. Anyone else notice this?

TRM
06-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

J-bred
06-13-2005, 08:04 AM
it means he's dying for an ice cold budweiser

Macdiarmadillo
06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Maybe it means he just had one. In which case I lose all respect for the horse for not drinking something better.

This is a neg to me if it looks like the horse ate a shaving cream pie. I'll downgrade a win bet to a place bet minimally. Combined with other problems, the horse could be entirely out of the picture. I'm told and take it to mean the horse is nervous/stressed and is working the bit a lot. You can hear this. Dressage types will tell you it's good, but you don't see nearly as much of it on those horses. Plus their horses never have to go and run all out for a mile. I've been attacked by those %$#&s over this, but I believe what I see on the racetrack; the dressage ring is another thing altogether. Note this situation when it comes up and prove it to yourself one way or the other.

This mouth foam, like a of of things, might only be seen in the paddock and once the horse gets out of there, he may be okay. The other way, as post time gets closer, a horse might start foaming up.

On Belmont Day, there were plenty of horses that were sweating a lot. Granted, it was humid and relatively hot. A lot of the horses thought to be sprayed in front may have been sweating heavily; spray from a hose is much lighter than sweat and does not foam up itself or continue to drip off the body in the middle of warmups. I was told Smokume was apparently quite wet, Reverberate was wet and agitated.