PDA

View Full Version : May 7th at Delaware Park

Whirlaway
06-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Was the guy doing the variants for the Beyer figs drunk that day? Entered in the first race at Belmont today, Contrast got a 105 Beyer despite running a slow 1:11.4 for six furlongs on May 7th at Delaware Park. I would guess that maybe less than 20 fillies in the last 10 years have gotten a 105 Beyer or higher in their first lifetime starts.

Well, OK. Maybe Contrast is a very good filly who will prove her quality over time. But move on to the 8th race, the Riva Ridge. Here we find Egg Head, who got a 112 Beyer in his last start, nine points higher than his previous best despite running a slow time of 1:11.1. Coincidentaly, Egg Head got the 112 Beyer on May 7th at Delaware Park!

Did two extraordinary horses happen to run on the same day at a small track, when the track was unusually dull (DRF Variant was 23), or were two pretty good horses given inflated Beyers on a day when it may have been tough to make a variant. You make the call!

cj
06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think Beyer was off much, I gave the horse a 102. You are going to see more and more top horses running at these big purse slots tracks early in their careers, horses like Afleet Alex.

linrom1
06-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Looks like the guy was deliberately making a low estimate. Contrast blows away the field.

skate
06-11-2005, 02:29 PM
my thoughts exactly, more and more of these top horses will be from Del and PH.

i think EGG Head wins today over Lost in the fog.