PDA

View Full Version : Whose going Saturday?

Storm Cadet
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Besides PA sitting in the Phipps stables private box ;) , is anybody else going to Belmont?

BillW
06-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Wish I were, but I'm going to HOU :rolleyes:

Zaf
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Wish I were also, I'll have to settle for the Travers This Year :)

ZAFONIC

Zman179
06-09-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm a 15 minute local bus ride from Belmont. And there is absolutely NO WAY that I will go to see the Belmont Stakes.

Why in the world would I want to pay $10 to get in, pay $30 for a reserved seat and battle the crowds and the novice tellers (tried to bet the #12 horse in a race today at Belmont, teller told me that she can't type double digits) ...when I can wait until next Wednesday and pay $2 to get in, get any seat that I want and walk up directly to the SAM machines at the last minute to make my bet?

To me, a race is a race. I can win $1,000 on a $4,000 maiden claimer at Finger Lakes the same way I can win it on a Grade 1 stake. In fact, I prefer the maiden claimer.

I'll bet on the Belmont Stakes at home, thank you very much.

Suff
06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Ronnie

Been meaning to get with you...

I'll be at belmont tomorrow afternoon. I'm staying the weekend near the track. I'll be with Sully. I'm meeting WinManWin tommorrow, and we're heading out Friday Night to a couple of joints he knows. I'll be in my office in the AM. Give me a call, or drop me an e-mail. I don't have a seat for Saturday so I'll be mobile. Probably around the paddock and if you can't find me there... Check the IRS window... ;)

kingfin66
06-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Probably around the paddock and if you can't find me there... Check the IRS window... ;)

That's what I'm talking about!

Suff
06-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm a 15 minute local bus ride from Belmont. And there is absolutely NO WAY that I will go to see the Belmont Stakes.

Why in the world would I want to pay $10 to get in, pay $30 for a reserved seat and battle the crowds and the novice tellers (tried to bet the #12 horse in a race today at Belmont, teller told me that she can't type double digits) ...when I can wait until next Wednesday and pay $2 to get in, get any seat that I want and walk up directly to the SAM machines at the last minute to make my bet?

To me, a race is a race. I can win $1,000 on a $4,000 maiden claimer at Finger Lakes the same way I can win it on a Grade 1 stake. In fact, I prefer the maiden claimer.

I'll bet on the Belmont Stakes at home, thank you very much.

Thats too bad.. I enjoy the festivities and the crowd. I enjoy seeing the Top Horse's in the country. I enjoy seeing the racing industry personalities..

I especially love the roar of the crowd as they turn for home...

I'm going down with a very good friend of mine, I'm meeting 3 or 4 guys from the board today and tommorrow... I'm going into Manhattan for Dinner....and generally just enjoying the Hell out my weekend.

The Travers is my Race. Thats what I point to all year. But The Belmont is 1A. I love the race. It's history, It's length, its panache and everything associatted with it.

Steve Crist wrote an over/under column this week. He set it at 75,000. He took the under. If the weather holds, I'll take the over.

Attendance estimate: 89,764

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Boy Suff, for a guy who has posted how the industry is going downhill, that sure is a rosy estimate with no TC on the line, a huge increase in admission prices, and a NEW NO ALCOHOL allowed policy (unless you buy the booze at the track).....

I'll take the under.....

My guess is 63,000

Suff
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Boy Suff, for a guy who has posted how the industry is going downhill, that sure is a rosy estimate with no TC on the line, a huge increase in admission prices, and a NEW NO ALCOHOL allowed policy (unless you buy the booze at the track).....

I'll take the under.....

My guess is 63,000

20 Bucks who ever is closest? Payable at the SPA?

Zaf
06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey PA,

Does Saratoga have the same No Alcohol Policy this year? I told Suff I'd bring a case of some good Canadian Beer to the Festival Tent this year.

ZAFONIC

John
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Some people like crowds,

With Suff, the more the merrier.

I like the feeling of being part of the big picture.

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I haven't heard anything about Saratoga. My guess is it's going to be business as usual at the Spa....

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll be roaming around the 3rd floor....around section "S"

No, no Phipps box for me this year....LOL

freeneasy
06-10-2005, 07:28 PM
then i'll eat suff's redsox cap

IRISHLADSTABLE
06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
http://www.drf.com/charts/11/cBEL11.html?rn=628314#13

Zman179
06-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Track Attendance: 62274
On-track Handle $9,463,840 Total Handle $84,581,948

Hey freeneasy, you want some salt & pepper to go with that cap?
Great guess Pace Adv.

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2005, 09:50 PM
If only I handicapped the races as well as I handicapped the attendance.....

These guys from MassaCHUsetts think they can predict what a NY crowd is going to do, better than a guy from NEW YORK???? Give me a BREAK!!!?? LOL

Suff, I'll take my $20 in BEER at the Spa in a few months, OK?

And free, do you like your hats WELL DONE, or on the rare side?

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Belmont Park Attendance:62274

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Actually, I didn't handicap the races all that bad either....

If one were to have bet my top choices listed by my software, I had 4 winners...

2.80, 17.40, 2.80, 5.80

Not a huge ROI, but not a loss either....LOL

Of course, MY PERSONAL betting today left MUCH to be desired, as it often does...regardless of how many top choice winners I put out there....LOL

WINMANWIN
06-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Unreal is all I can say :bang: I was at Belmont Friday in the grandstand and
to wager with these CLERKS TELLERS was unbelievable :ThmbDown: Myself and like 5 others I spoke to, were very disappointed with the incompetence
at nearly EVERY WINDOW. As many of you know, they fired many tellers and hired many new ones, I asked 2 of them how much Training they had, and 1 told me like 15 mins :blush: I personally got stuck for 2 mistakes, my friend
had 1 mistake with them and some other players were all very disappointed.
I know 1 must have patience, but it has to turn the hard core Race Tracker OFF BIG TIME. It was a Horrible Experience. Tomorrow, I will be going to the Clubhouse and Hopefully will be wagering with some veteran TELLERS. Personally, With the change in the BOOZE POLICY, no triple crown hopeful, and INCOMPETENT tellers, I'm surprised they got 62,000 there :D

Zman179
06-12-2005, 07:50 AM
PA: Hey, you did way better than me. At Belmont, I have been ICE COLD. But I did very well at Suffolk Downs on Saturday, so you could say that I did a reverse Suff (Suff went to New York to see the Belmont, I sent my money to Boston).

Winman: I knew that the Belmont Stakes fans would be in some serious trouble when I had gone to Belmont on Thursday and tried to bet the 12 horse in a race and the teller told me that she can't type double numbers in the machine. The United Tote machines apparently are way more complicated to learn than an Autotote or Amtote machine since the tellers have had problems with them ever since they were installed.
It also has something to do with the fact that NYRA has an EXTREMELY high turnover with it's tellers. Even before those that were fired due to a sick out, they've been letting tellers go for even minor infractions. I have a friend who is a teller there, he says that the job has gone way downhill ever since NYRA was investigated for some no-nos. Before, a teller with high seniority would've been one with 25+ years as a teller...now it's 5. These problems will only double when they go to Saratoga.

Figman
06-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Why anyone worrys about wagering with tellers is hard for me to comprehend.

It's the Twenty-First Century!

Take responsibility for your wagering yourself.....bet with the SAM machine!

John
06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
"WINMANWIN Unreal is all I can say "

I have to agree with you, I got the same shit on a smaller scale at my track.Young collage kids that were hired only for the day.I asked for a trifecta ticket for Churchill Downs and ended up with a ticket for Finger Lakes.Gave the ticket back and She had a problem cancel ling out. By the time it was straighted out the race was gone....She saved me a few bucks,but that is not the point. My play almost got the job done.

Two of the five Teller machines did not work.

Then the Air condition broke down and man it was hot with all those bodies.

I had two choices, go to the Bar....or go home. I bought my tickets for the Belmont and late DD and went home.

I feel the same way about the Travis at Saratoga. The worst day to be there. Don't know why Suff, likes it so much on Travis Day...

See you at Saratoga Win.

JimG
06-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Why anyone worrys about wagering with tellers is hard for me to comprehend.

It's the Twenty-First Century!

Take responsibility for your wagering yourself.....bet with the SAM machine!

or bet from home...and if you can't type, call it in!

Jim

Suff
06-12-2005, 12:49 PM
or bet from home...and if you can't type, call it in!

Jim

Ariel Advertisement for TCbets.com was flying overhead the Belmont.

"Why bet at the Track?"

It is hard to argue with that when a Clubhouse Reserve seat is $300.00. A beer is $6.50, Parking is $30.00. Bottle of Soda & a Hot Dog $8.50

The discrepancy of Betting from home vs going to the track becomes even more apparent when I stopped at Mohegan Sun on the way home.

Free Parking, beautiful facilty & grounds, Free drinks, You can smoke! , plus all sorts of Beautiful women around... I shot craps for a while, had a nice dinner and drove up 95 very early this morning. It wasn't the best trip but I had a good time none the less. I'll do a Belmont Low Light Highlight thread later today

BillW
06-12-2005, 04:39 PM
then i'll eat suff's redsox cap

We'll save a seat for you at the lunch table at Saratoga, just don't touch his shirt - people have died for less. Of course this is a BYOS (Bring your own silverware) event. :lol::jump::D

The Hawk
06-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Unreal is all I can say :bang: I was at Belmont Friday in the grandstand and
to wager with these CLERKS TELLERS was unbelievable :ThmbDown: Myself and like 5 others I spoke to, were very disappointed with the incompetence
at nearly EVERY WINDOW. As many of you know, they fired many tellers and hired many new ones, I asked 2 of them how much Training they had, and 1 told me like 15 mins :blush: I personally got stuck for 2 mistakes, my friend
had 1 mistake with them and some other players were all very disappointed.
I know 1 must have patience, but it has to turn the hard core Race Tracker OFF BIG TIME. It was a Horrible Experience. Tomorrow, I will be going to the Clubhouse and Hopefully will be wagering with some veteran TELLERS. Personally, With the change in the BOOZE POLICY, no triple crown hopeful, and INCOMPETENT tellers, I'm surprised they got 62,000 there :D

Way to go, NYRA! Of course, it's not their fault. They had no way of knowing they would need so many trained tellers. Who knew so many people would come out to the track on a Saturday in June?

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey look, NYRA mailed a bunch of folks a NYRA Cash Card (I got one, but forgot it at home).....

So, what did I do? I asked a teller where I could get a Cash Card...Customer Service...went to CS, got my card, and wagered to my hearts content, with NO ERRORS (except for the fact that I picked too many losers).

Sometimes you guys have to think a bit....you read about teller problems that NYRA was having...you read about mass firings....you read about mass hirings....you KNOW there are going to be incompetant clerks on duty....

SO YOU GO AND FIND THE BEST POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE, and that would be the automated MACHINES.....THINK! You'll save yourself a headache next time....

And for the record, despite the fact that I had to pay $7.00 for a 20 ounce Miller Lite (which, compared to Yankee Stadium, is a bit of a bargain), I had a very good time at the Belmont Stakes. Too bad I didn't see anyone familiar from this board around Section 3S, but an enjoyable time was had by myself and my friends at this year's Belmont. The fact that only 63,000 showed up was a blessing...no huge lines in the bathroom, and no huge lines at the automated machines, and certainly NO LINES really at the tellers....

To NYRA's credit, they had TONS of wagering windows open, with LOTS and LOTS of live tellers. In fact, my only complaint was that they didn't have too many AUTOMATED MACHINES available (at least where I was, on the 3rd floor).

The cheer the crowd let out as AA thundered down the stretch was AWESOME! Overall, I had a great time...the races were great, I got to see some great horses LIVE and in person....what more can you want???

Why bet at the track, asks TCBets.com? I'll tell you why. Cause it ain't the same at home, and it never will be. Just like watching a baseball game at home is NEVER going to equate to going to the stadium....

The Hawk
06-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Why bet at the track, asks TCBets.com? I'll tell you why. Cause it ain't the same at home, and it never will be. Just like watching a baseball game at home is NEVER going to equate to going to the stadium....

PA, I completely agree with you on this last point. But I do have to say that watching HD on a big-screen tv in the living room is a close 2nd to being at Yankee Stadium, and it's a much easier commute to bed.