PDA

View Full Version : Republicans

Suff
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
New Worlds To Censor

Tuesday, June 7, 2005; Page A23

A troubling shift is underway in how lawmakers censor media in this country. Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.), chairmen of the Senate and House commerce committees, as well as Kevin Martin, the new head of the Federal Communications Commission, are proposing to broaden federal broadcast "indecency" regulations to cover cable and satellite television. And a separate measure recently introduced in the Senate would regulate "excessively violent" programming, not just in broadcasting but on cable and satellite service as well.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/06/AR2005060601506.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I guess they've been watching The Shield recently....LOL

hurrikane
06-08-2005, 02:57 PM
maybe they will pass a law.

if you don't want to watch it you must change the channel.

kenwoodallpromos
06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Maybe all they get in Alaska is satellite tv?

Tom
06-08-2005, 10:16 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if we could change channels at get a new congress!:eek:

Suff
06-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Greed

Philip Morris (MO), British American Tobacco (BTI), U.S. Tobacco (UST), and Loews (LTR). All have nearly doubled in price over the last 12 months, while R.J. Reynolds' (RJR) has tripled. Even the worst-performing manufacturer, Gallaher Group PLC (GLH), was up almost 40%. And the sun was really shining on the three largest global independent leaf tobacco merchants that supply the large cigarette manufacturers. Two of the three, Dimon (DMN) and Standard Commercial (STW) have quadrupled in price over the last year, while Universal Corp. (UVV) has doubled.

The industry's rate of profit growth will accelerate in the next couple of years because of ''the payments that are due under the state settlement agreement and the fact that there will be some equalization between what the large and small companies have to pay under that agreement.'' David says the change of administration in Washington is also a positive factor for the tobacco industry.

Making 30% (while we're at war), isn't good enough for them. Even making 100% more isn't good enough for them. While you and I pay 400 Billion for the two wars, and kick in to cover the tax breaks for the top 2%, and while we are at war... They just can't help themsleves....they want it all..100% increase in profit? Nope? 200% nope...300% for some...but for a couple they needed a 400% increase (in one year). Do you think they got this by running a great company? Dream on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/07/AR2005060702019.html
Tobacco Escapes Huge Penalty
U.S. Seeks $10 Billion Instead of $130 Billion

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 8, 2005; Page A01

After eight months of courtroom argument, Justice Department lawyers abruptly upset a landmark civil racketeering case against the tobacco industry yesterday by asking for less than 8 percent of the expected penalty.

As he concluded closing arguments in the six-year-old lawsuit, Justice Department lawyer Stephen D. Brody shocked tobacco company representatives and anti-tobacco activists by announcing that the government will not seek the $130 billion that a government expert had testified was necessary to fund smoking-cessation programs. Instead, Brody said, the Justice Department will ask tobacco companies to pay $10 billion over five years.
Before it was cut, the cessation program was the most significant financial penalty still available to the government as part of its litigation, which had been the largest civil racketeering and conspiracy case in U.S. history. The government contended that six tobacco companies engaged in a 50-year conspiracy to defraud and addict smokers and then conceal the dangers of cigarettes.

"We were very surprised," said Dan Webb, lawyer for Altria Group's Philip Morris USA and the coordinating attorney in the case. "They've gone down from $130 billion to $10 billion with absolutely no explanation. It's clear the government hasn't thought through what it's doing."

The Justice Department offered little explanation for the figure. Associate Attorney General Robert D. McCallum Jr. and members of the trial team declined to answer questions as the court session ended. In 2001, then-Attorney General John D. Ashcroft tried to settle or shelve the government's racketeering case against the industry before a public outcry forced its revival

With the war and all.... They figured now would be a good time to slip it by you. And by the way.... They just did'nt just tuck you out of 100 Billion. Throw on another 200 Billion in Illness and Death Cost's associatted with the Public costs from Tobacco.

Look up at the Paragraph I bolded.... The attorney for the PLAINTIFF.. Phillip Morris attorney Dan Webb... This guy just saved 120 billion dollars and even he does'nt get it. Get it PA? The attorney for Tobbaco Companies... The one's that just saved 105 bil..... think the Govt has flipped a gasket....

Tom
06-08-2005, 11:15 PM
At least they aren't out sourcing the business.

Between the tobacco companies and GM, give me tobacco - American industries. Rick Wagoner is more of a traitor than the greedy tobacco barons.
In fact, between Michael Jackson and Rick Wagoner, give me Michael.

Suff
06-08-2005, 11:29 PM
At least they aren't out sourcing the business.

Between the tobacco companies and GM, give me tobacco - American industries. Rick Wagoner is more of a traitor than the greedy tobacco barons.
In fact, between Michael Jackson and Rick Wagoner, give me Michael.

Hold onto your Hat for these Pension Defaults... Its big. By Big I mean Bigger than the Savings and Loan Bailout....

Meanwhile, They've had 5+ years. FDR took 100 days. 100 DAYS!! Stock Market crash of 1929, Depression of 1932 did'nt stop him (or us). Bush has had 5 years....and its all excuses..

Tom
06-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Suff, they are already lining up to dump their pensions on us - the taxpayers.

Bush wass all gung ho to pass laws to make bankruptcy for indiviuals harder, like a puppet of the banks. Now, look at the total irresponsibllity of banks in general...was it Citicorp? that just send private information through UP_friign S!
Holy cOw, is that the stiuopdiest thing you ever heard? Do they transfer money through UP_friggin S? Hey, that personal information is more valulable than cash,and this is not the first bank to totally screw up and lose that kind of info.
Maybe I missed it, but can someone post any law or bill that Bush has sponsered or signed that actually benifited individual citizens and not big businesses or banks? Off hand, I cannot think of any.

JustRalph
06-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Meanwhile, They've had 5+ years. FDR took 100 days. 100 DAYS!! Stock Market crash of 1929, Depression of 1932 did'nt stop him (or us). Bush has had 5 years....and its all excuses..

Yep, and many economists who have studied the period, now believe that FDR's social bailout programs lengthened the depression by as much as 70%.

highnote
06-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Yep, and many economists who have studied the period, now believe that FDR's social bailout programs lengthened the depression by as much as 70%.

Ralph,

I've never heard that. That's an interesting stat. Do you know who the economists are or have any links to those stories? I'm kind of interested in that period of our history. Thanks.

John

JustRalph
06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Ralph,

I've never heard that. That's an interesting stat. Do you know who the economists are or have any links to those stories? I'm kind of interested in that period of our history. Thanks.John

http://www.townhall.com/bookclub/powell.html
above is a book link if you are really interested

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_detail.asp?control=258&sortorder=subject

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/002293.html

http://www.cato.org/events/031203bf.html

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20031009.shtml

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1048166/posts

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2185/is_2_13/ai_83520016

some of these quote each other etc.......but you get the gist of it.

ljb
06-09-2005, 04:19 PM

:lol:
And then they will pass a law. If you don't want an abortion you don't have to get one.

Suff
06-09-2005, 10:51 PM

What do you call Many? The one's who call Rooselvelt a Communist? Yes those economists. Of course, we did'nt have historical quantifiable data on Free Market Economies in 1932. Now we do, and no one is opposed to extracting the mistakes from the New Deal, and improving upon its principles.

Of course we do know one thing.... We know FDR did'nt start it...Hoover did. The fact he was a Republican does'nt mean much today... But his policys of unregulated Banking and commerce was what led to it...and certainly was the overriding factor in the DEPTH of the contraction. The world, essentially defaulted on WAR bonds. Those debts were paid by the taxpayers....and that fact was the dominate force in the length of the Depression. It takes..and took a long time, and a lot of money to settle those debts. FDR used a broad tax program, and a broad Govt expenditure program to generate the revenue needed to bring the USA back to solvency. He saved the Country.

Disecting his programs from a 2005 perspective, especially with a critical eye, isn't a difficult task. It's like using modern Medicine to Grade 18th century medicine. We know more now. But the basics stay the same.

The citizens.. mostly poor, were tax'd. And tax'd heavily to pay the National Debt, and the banking defaults. Of course had those expenditures not existed the economy would have recovered quicker. The running unemployment rate of 15% to 20% for the eight years of depression/recession had to exist, because that percentage of GDP went to Bailout the Banks and Corporations.

I know...and I do not believe many Bush Voters know.. That Corportate Republicans believe that any dollar...any single dollar spent by the Govt outside its operating expenditures creates a False component to a free market. They're determined to remove Govt from the free market.

My Principles, my ideology and my intellect lead me to disagree with that theory. I believe in Good Government...I believe in A free market, but a fair market, and only the Govt can insure both. The Public, left to the mercy of unabashed and unregulated commerce become slaves.

And yes.. thats a direct shot at Janice Rogers Brown.

highnote
06-10-2005, 12:04 AM
http://www.townhall.com/bookclub/powell.html
above is a book link if you are really interested

JR

This looks like a good book to start with to get a the other side of the picture. I have not checked out all the links, but will. I have a guest this week and the Belmont is Saturday - so am a bit overwhelmed.

Have you had a chance to read this one? If so, what'd you think?

Thanks.

John

JustRalph
06-10-2005, 03:20 PM
JR

This looks like a good book to start with to get a the other side of the picture. I have not checked out all the links, but will. I have a guest this week and the Belmont is Saturday - so am a bit overwhelmed.

Have you had a chance to read this one? If so, what'd you think?

Thanks.

John

I've got it........read most of it. Like most books I buy.........I will go back and re-read it cover to cover. I think I might have loaned it to my brother though.........I am not sure that I agree with all of it. I think Suff is right....20/20 hindsight is invoked in the book. It is one of my favorite flaws, that I find on a bunch of issues...........

Secretariat
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
JR,

What is this about out in Ohio? Since the thread was Republicans figured this was as good a place to put it as any.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050610/ap_on_re_us/coin_politics

highnote
06-10-2005, 10:46 PM
JR,

What is this about out in Ohio? Since the thread was Republicans figured this was as good a place to put it as any.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050610/ap_on_re_us/coin_politics

I spent the first 25 years of my life in Ohio. This is business as usual. I grew up in a very poor county -- recently classified as Appalacia. Not long ago a couple of young men were given the job of managing the county pension fund. They lost 25 million in a hedge fun. They did end up with a short jail term -- really just a slap on the wrist. Corruption in my county has been rampant for years.

It's a shame. Wherever there is money, someone will try to get their hands on it.