the written word
06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/310028p-265289c.html

Free rein for mob

No horse sense in N.Y.'s system of race licenses

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/editors/header_dnexclusive.gif

BY GREG B. SMITH
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thoroughbred racing is known as the sport of kings - an industry where privileged owners hope to find the next Kentucky Derby winner.

Yet a Daily News investigation shows that in New York, Thoroughbred racing can also be a sport for the mob.

Editor's Note: DON'T REPRODUCE THE FULL TEXT OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!

skate
06-06-2005, 02:09 PM
The;

must really be bad?

i wish they would tell us, just what is a convicted gambler, wooo, plays the lotto? or what?

reputed gangsters, troubled history, alleged mafia and might be convicted.

and here we have all the serious stuff like "koran" happening.

and how about the connections to the rep. and dem parties or even the Vatican, they have something to do with ... whatever.

sometimes im thinking, they graduate school and just start putting all the Negatives together.

all they would really have to say to me is "that so and so has investiture or investment in the media" and id get the picture.

kenwoodallpromos
06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
This "staff writer" needed a BS story to fill a column so he dug out an old easy mark (Get it- free "REIN" for mob" He's funny too!):
"In one case, the state knew about a horse owner's alleged Mafia ties but approved his license, even while rejecting another applicant with almost identical reputed mob connections a few weeks later."
I am putting this on my new website as "NY racing applications office on the improve".
But this writer is clueless; no wonder his "pen name" is "SMITH"!LOL! :lol:

DerbyTrail
06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
The Daily News is notorious for trying to humiliate racing, NYRA in particular, as a stick in the eye to Murdoch and the NY Post. The Post is as consistently upbeat about racing as possible thanks to Rupert's strong involvement in the sport worldwide via his media empire.

AQUEBUCKS
06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Without some of these owners (Lizza) Flying "ZZ" Stables, They wouldn't be able to fill races, especially with all the daily scratches.

the written word
06-06-2005, 04:24 PM
In a related story, a central suspect in the Uvari investigation - Marvin "Cookie" Meyerowitz - has turned up rather conveniently, umm... dead.

[Uvari's curious treatment by New state regulators is detailed in the previously posted article in the New York Daily News that began this thread.]

Earlier this year, a massive federal racing corruption indictment came down. Of the 17 indicted in the "Uvari group" were New York trainer Greg Martin and 3 others were positively ID'ed as known Gambino crime family associates. The crimes involved race-fixing and $200 million dollar illegal gambling sheme using legitimate bet shops here and abroad to launder millions of doallrs.

Meyerowitz was named as a pivotal character in the scheme, he, in effect, knew where all the bodies were burried. The handicapped Meyerowitz was found dead in his apartment in an apparent fire last month.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0NSZmZ2Jl bDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NjY5MTM4NiZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRU V5eTM=

Bobby
06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
yea, that's one reason i don't play NY tracks, especially AQU. Seems like a big good ole boy network.

A little anecdote
My bro went to West Point and after he graduated he married this girl from up there, from o/s NYC. She wuz italian. Her relatives were like pin stripe suits with gold bracelets, necklaces and sunglasses. One of em worked at the state pen. He liked the ponies. Buddy, i believe. That kinda stuff might be normal up there. I don't know. But looked more like something outta Goodfellas to me. Coulda been pimps I guess though. Sorry for stereotyping.

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
All tracks are "good ol boy" networks....you can take THAT to the bank.

ratpack
06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
WOKE UP THIS MORNING GOT YOURSELF A GUN]

Bruddah
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Whatsa matta wit youz guys? Can't a Good Fella like da ponies too? Just because a fella don't buy off no rack and needs sum spend'n mony. Geez, I like to walk in places and say, "gimme sum of deez and sum of doze and the winner of the 6th at Belmont. Nuttin rong wit dat. :D :D

Bobby
06-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Whatsa matta wit youz guys? Can't a Good Fella like da ponies too? Just because a fella don't buy off no rack and needs sum spend'n mony. Geez, I like to walk in places and say, "gimme sum of deez and sum of doze and the winner of the 6th at Belmont. Nuttin rong wit dat. :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PA, yes good ole boy ntwk everywhere. But always get caught up there in NY.

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I particularly liked the line in the article where the author says the tracks are "government-run"

Since when? Nobody I know who runs anything at NYRA is a government employee....

BTW, this article is almost 1 month old....

the written word
06-06-2005, 06:37 PM
BTW, this article is almost 1 month old....

What does that tell you about the backbone of the turf writers who work for DRF, TTimes, and Bloodlhorse? This story has been out for a month and we havn't heard so much as a peep from them.

CryingForTheHorses
06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Good ole New York Racing!!
So Scandalous
So Exciting!
It would be a thrill to me just to be able to run there!!

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Way to go McSchell....generalizing again....no mobsters in Florida eh? No mobsters running at Frankie's track in Hallendale eh? Yeah right!

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2005, 07:40 PM
What does that tell you about the backbone of the turf writers who work for DRF, TTimes, and Bloodlhorse? This story has been out for a month and we havn't heard so much as a peep from them.

Is it really that much of a story? A couple guys with questionable backgrounds slip through the cracks of a bureaucratic government licensing agency???!!!!

Wow....what a shocker!

Figman
06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
The Written Word:
I see you are new here with just 3 posts on the same story.
We know Bill Finley, Andrew Beyer, Bill Heller, Jenny Rees, Steven Crist, etc. Just who is Greg B. Smith and why should anyone believe what he writes when he appears out for headlines for a widely-known scandal sheet? There are many turf writers that collect paychecks from the NY DAILY NEWS. If Russ Harris wrote this story, I would take it seriously. Why did some unknown neophyte write this story? And what is your intense interest? Did you get your license application refused in NJ or NY?

CryingForTheHorses
06-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Way to go McSchell....generalizing again....no mobsters in Florida eh? No mobsters running at Frankie's track in Hallendale eh? Yeah right!

Seems I have to generalize when most of these hot stories are coming out of New York, Hell we havent had any excitment here since last week when Eddie won 9.
All in all I think the newspapers are always trying to make a stink to sell papers,They seem to love to get the public going and love to shake up the NYRA.

the written word
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
The Written Word:
I see you are new here with just 3 posts on the same story.
We know Bill Finley, Andrew Beyer, Bill Heller, Jenny Rees, Steven Crist, etc. Just who is Greg B. Smith and why should anyone believe what he writes when he appears out for headlines for a widely-known scandal sheet? There are many turf writers that collect paychecks from the NY DAILY NEWS. If Russ Harris wrote this story, I would take it seriously. Why did some unknown neophyte write this story? And what is your intense interest? Did you get your license application refused in NJ or NY?

There was a good line in that Racing Post article which is still floating around here. It was referring to the lack of any real substantive investigative reporting in American horse racing. Reporters rarely ask tough question and have become basically cheerleaders glorifying the cheats who dominate this sport. Hovdey's little suck-up damage controll piece to cheater extrordinaire Mullins is a case in point. That article is also still on this forum in another thread, Anyway, the line from the Post article went something like: ..." at some point their silence becomes complicity."

skate
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
its a joke and we should not give this type article any time.

but my counter to the article would be, the BOOKS helped me out (big time) when the banks would not.

and the interest was Zero. of coarse the payback was quick.

hey, the States get into gambling and that makes everything fine, says they.

so, id still be interested in the definition for a "convicted gambler" (as the article stated).
maybe we should all be in jail?

check out the odds for hitting the power ball VS a horse.:faint:

Suff
06-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Wriiten Word's anonymity cautions me to get into it to deep...

But the fact is.... The game is need of a severe makeover...

Realistically...and perceptually. That's not something you get much of an argument from many people on.

I tried to get the Point across earlier this year when a NY trainer said they should get slots so they are not Beholden to the Bettor..They can do what they want with the game...basically.

People here went to Bat for him. Listen... the game's screwed up....Not the GREAT parts of the sport... just the day to day operations...
I fault the Trainers.....mostly.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
That article is also still on this forum in another thread, Anyway, the line from the Post article went something like: ..." at some point their silence becomes complicity."

So, get off your ass, infiltrate a stable you THINK is cheating by applying for a job as a hotwalker, gather your evidence after a little time passes and people accept you, and become the HERO OF THE DAY when you sell your story to the tabloids.....

Simple! Now get on the phone and get some sleep...you'll have to be up very early in the morning for this assignment....

skate
06-09-2005, 12:59 PM
im thinking that if we (they) had to re hash an industry everytime someone gave (or somehow out of context)comments that were ignorant, we would have a situation that NOBODY could comprehend, which is most definitely not the case with TB racing.

basketball comes to mind, the rules come and go as the game goes on.

not to mention every other business in the world. politics too.

but horse racing does "it right" for my money.

here i am LOL just thinking of all these forthright business people, accounting, doctors, drugest, judges on and on...not trivial maters when we consider things such as pension funds turn up missing etc., wrong limbs turn up missing., wrong diagnosis and on and on...

but when these things happen (like everyday) they seem to get fluffed off or tied up in court with a slap on the wrist. or the cost gets passed to the customer.

now when someone puts out an article, true or false, on the TB industry for the most part we get, convicted gamblers, the mob etc. , as if the whole industry is corrupting mankind.
because somebody thinks a jock pulled, gees.

right or wrong, my gist.

thanks

JustRalph
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
So, get off your ass, infiltrate a stable you THINK is cheating by applying for a job as a hotwalker, gather your evidence after a little time passes and people accept you, and become the HERO OF THE DAY when you sell your story to the tabloids.....

Simple! Now get on the phone and get some sleep...you'll have to be up very early in the morning for this assignment....

yeah right........then you have to live the rest of your life wondering if Joey Mynamesgottavowel at the end of it isn't lurking outside your window for the rest of your mafia shortened life............

Bobby
06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Joey Mynamesgottavowel at the end of it.

that reminds me. About a yr ago, I wuz in a bar in Lake Charles, LA. Anyway, these guys from around NYC were down there. They were building/repairing ships. We got into a conversation. Everything real friendly. I asked "So what ever happend to Joey Buttafucco." They get so GD mad. Fighting mad. Im like hey you ask me stuff about where I live. I know nothing about NJ/NY. been there a few times. but other than that know nothing. So do you guys from NY get mad about that. I wouldn't think so. Justa a hot tempered guy, right? or is it something deeper?