PDA

View Full Version : Time for Triple Crown Change?

maxwell
06-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Alan Shuback wrote an interesting article in tomorrow's DRF.

He states that the Triple Crown is out of date; out of touch with the needs and abilities of today's 3yos:

Quote:

What is the point of the Belmont Stakes?

As the much ballyhooed "Test of the Champion," in which horses bred to run not much further than a mile are asked to run 1 1/2 miles, it makes little sense.

Quote:

A radical rethinking of America's classic races would leave the Derby as is, expunge the copycat Preakness, switch the Belmont to turf, perhaps trimming it to 1 1/4 miles, and make the 1 1/4 mile Travers the third and final leg of a new triple Crown, one that would be spaced so as not to leave a trail of tired and injured horses in it's wake.

He has some good points!

These races are super tough on 3yos; not enough rest, and three routes.

This is what I would like to see:

The Belmont on the first Saturday in May - 1 mile ( one - turn at that track )

3 weeks rest

The Preakness - 1 1/8 miles

3 weeks rest

The Derby - 1 1/4 miles.

Having the Derby last would only add to the excitment if a horse was shooting for the Triple Crown.

Tom
06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Accupolco Gold IS making a comeback!:rolleyes:

KingChas
06-04-2005, 01:37 PM
It ain't broke-don't fix it! :kiss:

GeTydOn
06-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Deja vu or I really am insane.

Bubbles
06-04-2005, 10:20 PM
No need for a change. If it was easy to attain, it'd be no fun to watch, hence the reason the Triple Crown should stay as is. Makes it all the more memorable when a once-in-a-lifetime horse DOES capture all three jewels of the TC.

kenwoodallpromos
06-05-2005, 12:16 AM
If they are short enough they can get American EXPRESS to sponsor!LOL!

DirtTrack
06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
KingChas:
It ain't broke-don't fix it! :kiss:

No need for a change. If it was easy to attain, it'd be no fun to watch, hence the reason the Triple Crown should stay as is. Makes it all the more memorable when a once-in-a-lifetime horse DOES capture all three jewels of the TC.

I agree - leave it like it is otherwise all history and lore will be lost.

Do not agree with moving Preakness from Ol' HillTop either - if Preakness supports track for rest of year - narrow the season & make mo' $$$

maxwell
06-06-2005, 08:05 AM
I agree that it great the way it is. The problem is, we look at it from a viewer's perspective and not what is best for the horses.

It's not as nasty as fox hunting or the idiotic Grand National but it leaves me wondering what the heck we're doing?

Bruddah
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
It isn't the (best) for all horses. It is the (test) for the breeds 1% (best). Over all, it is the best for the breed (thoroughbreds) and horse racing in general. (JMHO)