PDA

View Full Version : Stamina

46zilzal
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Breeders are progressively losing out in stamina breeding (on the dirt at least) by not having enough tests at a distance. Other than the Triple Crown and other variations of Travers (Super Derby and the Swaps) how in the world are we ever going to have a GRADED test of stamina if no races are ever offered? When was the last stamina sire added to the chefs-de-race?? A pure stamina prepotent. Was it Run the Gaunlet? I get the impression that many of these breeders are cowtowing to quick maturity and big bucks as babies rather than allowing ana animal the seasoning it requires to go a route of ground. Too bad

J-bred
06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
No such thing as a horse with stamina any more.

Just a bunch of sprinters, some of which are able to go a little longer than the others.

JackS
06-03-2005, 03:46 PM
American racing has always leaned to sprinters. One reason is the American facination with pure speed. Early days of our history had cowboys and farmers racing their neighbors down the main street of town. Today it's hotrods.
On the monetary side of things, sprinters live to race longer than routers. Also sprinters can be raced more times a year than routers thus earn more money.
In recent years, added purse money to turf racing has increased. This gives incentive to breeders to produce more turfers.
IMO, dirt routes are for sprinters who can't sprint. If a horse can't sprint and win, he'll probably be entered to route as a last resort.
Triple Crown dirt routers today may be the only exception.

skate
06-03-2005, 04:57 PM
good one jacks.

and those 3crowns dont last long.
id rather see them stay a while.

plainolebill
06-04-2005, 02:20 AM
American racing has always leaned to sprinters. One reason is the American facination with pure speed. Early days of our history had cowboys and farmers racing their neighbors down the main street of town. Today it's hotrods.
On the monetary side of things, sprinters live to race longer than routers. Also sprinters can be raced more times a year than routers thus earn more money.
In recent years, added purse money to turf racing has increased. This gives incentive to breeders to produce more turfers.
IMO, dirt routes are for sprinters who can't sprint. If a horse can't sprint and win, he'll probably be entered to route as a last resort.
Triple Crown dirt routers today may be the only exception.

This is total hogwash. Where did you come up with this? Have you ever actually looked at the purse structure of a major racetrack? Do you actually know the history of American thoroughbred racing? As far a sprinters outlasting routers - I doubt that very much and would like to see your proof.

KingChas
06-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Going Wild....Spanish Chestnut............2005 Santa Anita TC Preps

plainolebill
06-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Going Wild....Spanish Chestnut............2005 Santa Anita TC Preps

Longevity. I suppose I should have been clearer for the dense. :D

KingChas
06-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Not trying to be trussive -but do you have the current past performances on these two horses?Check them out then reply; ;)

Longetivity different--agreed :)

plainolebill
06-04-2005, 03:12 AM
I watched both of those races - they definitely outlasted the others.

KingChas
06-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Santa Anita surface????
I can't figure it.Sprints-routes and even turf :bang: :D

The Judge
06-04-2005, 09:06 AM
The long races 2 miles etc are boring in America, that's becuase they are usually carded for cheap horses and the Jockeys don't have a clue how to ride the race. I've seen some distance races for other counties and they are as exciting as it gets. I remember I think it was back in the 70' a horse called "Red Rum" out of England I think he was a jumper there had a camera right at the heges so you see them jump. It got your interest it was very competitive. You need good horses and good purses to make it worth while to card longer races. Could start with the BC a nice 2 1/2 mile romp.

JackS
06-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Cheap dirt routers are a product of sprint evolution. High priced dirt routers are intentional and on-going experimentation by the well heeled breeder to produce the next Derby hero.

skate
06-04-2005, 02:19 PM
on average, up to 8.5f, a sprinter would be a better bet than a router, all things being equal.

early speed alone, is an advantage, if he goes early.

just ask the Bris boys, when they left out "the early horse" in their million dollar pick 6er. the only one they lost, oh my.

never ever, and if you do, youll be sorry.

and yes long racing is fun, but it cost to be set up, so why bother.

6 , 7, 8, 9 furlongs give me enough to be concerned .