PDA

View Full Version : sally hemings

Bobby
06-01-2005, 02:27 PM
2 yr old filly out of COLONIAL AFFAIR mare JEFFERSONS SECRET.

Pretty fitting name. :D

Owner taking it to court.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/06/01/bc.rac.horsenamingright.ap/index.html

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
"Alan Marzelli, president of The Jockey Club, wouldn't comment on the suit, except to say "it is clearly laid out in black and white in the papers that you have."
I won money7 on a horse in 1997 named Monicalovesbill. I guess the Jockey Club does what they want.
The Jockey Club name is sometimes onky an alias for racing- other horses have different birth names. Sounds like this name was just an afterthought, taking of the name Hemings to try to legitimize the whole affair.

Bobby
06-01-2005, 03:07 PM
It might offend somebody. That's why no horse named sally hemmings.

No, don't you get so GD tired of all this politically correct BS. It has no end. So what if Sally was the PREZ's slut. If I wanna name my horse Sally Hemmings then I Should be able to name it Sally Hemmings.

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2005, 05:13 PM
They should be able to name it what they want.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 05:19 PM
No, they shouldn't be able to name it whatever they want. How silly.

If horse owners are going to enjoy the benefits that come with Jockey Club registration, then they must abide by JC rulings.

And the Jockey Club ought to shape up their screening process, as some very lewd names have made it through their filters as of late.....nothing like offending a fragile portion of your customer base with names like "SlamBamThankYouMam"

What the hell are they thinking?

Suff
06-01-2005, 05:42 PM
"SlamBamThankYouMam"

The name does have sexual conotations. I agree. However it has worked it way into the American nomenclature to mean many things.

Among them:

A sale for a salesman!

Something quick and easy!

A metaphor for "ungrateful" conduct.

You republicans are obsessed with sex. That name is fine.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Keep complaining that there aren't enough women interested in our sport. Keep complaining how wagering handle is down, or how racing is doomed.

Then say that names like "SlamBamThankYouMam" are AOK in your book.

This has nothing to do with Republicans or an obsession with sex....stop being foolish.

saratoga guy
06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I think we could all agree that there should be limits. We don't want Hitlerwastheman or Go David Dukes.

So the process is going to be subjective. And when you draw the line in that process, as you get closer to it, more people will disagree with the decision. That's just the nature of that kind of thing.

In my opnion, this guy seems to really be picking the wrong fight. Why push so hard for this name? I'll admit it was kind of clever. But so what?

If he was naming it after a dead relative -- or if there was some personal significance to him I could see it. But in this case he could push the issue -- and either wind up losing anyway, or win and force the Jockey Club to accept his -- and Hitlerwastheman...

Pick a new name and move on...

JustRalph
06-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I have never heard a more appropriate name for a horse out of "Jefferson's Secret" absolutely perfect.............

That being said.............the Jockey club has a point in some ways. But legally I think the owner has some good standing on his claim of arbitrary application of the rules..........on a first amend. claim.......he might have a shot of winning.

Suff
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Keep complaining that there aren't enough women interested in our sport. Keep complaining how wagering handle is down, or how racing is doomed.

Then say that names like "SlamBamThankYouMam" are AOK in your book.

This has nothing to do with Republicans or an obsession with sex....stop being foolish.

... You watching? Las vegas is BOOMING.....telling people that thay can go to Vegas.....(do whatever) and it stays there! You know what they are implying! Not just sex...I'll tell you that.

Really..... Anyone who would "not go" to racetrack, or when there find that name offensive to the point of not coming back.....isn't coming (or staying)in the first place.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Let's put it this way Suff, IT DOESN'T HELP!

And if racing is in such dire straits as you like to post every now and then, it's going to need every little "edge" it can find, and not alienate a SOUL!

Suff
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Let's put it this way Suff, IT DOESN'T HELP!
!

Coulda done with out it. Good Point. I stand corrected.

To agree with you in my manner of speaking:..

Don't start nothing, if there is nothing. . Why ask for Trouble?

Plus the other reasons you gave have merit.

As far as me disagreing with the Jockey Club and Odgen Phipps? They are the establishment, and generally you'll find me on the polar opposite of the powers that be.

Vital opposition. That's my schtick. I thrive in chaotic atmospheres. Hence my summer walk in the New Here thread.

That was right in my wheel house.

Suff
06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
same token.

You need edge guys. Guys who'll push the envelope. Frequently that's where norm's are broken. Edge guys. They can work for you and against you.

I thought the Sally hemming name fiascoo was a little too Politically Correct. It's an honor to have a horse named after you.

Joe Mooney, Field & Grounds Supt at Fenway park has a Horse named after him!. You could be sure to find him there every three weeks when that 5k Claimer ran.

People name horse's after loved one's all the time. They could have made that one work for them if they were BOLD! There was alot to work with. Jefferson Loved Horse's. The relationship facts are known. They could have? should have?quickly contacted the ancestors? Perhaps they would have loved the idea. You never know? ! Thats why you gotta push.

Pace Cap'n
06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
We should rejoice that the Jockey Club folks are possessed of sufficient mental acumen to recongize the name "Sally Hemmings".

Steve 'StatMan'
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Should just find any Sally Hemmings in an online phonebook and name it after her instead. Gotta be another one in the U.S.A. somewhere.

Steve Miller (the handicapper, not the band) ;)

P.S. How many horses have 'Devil' and 'Satan' in their names? :rolleyes:

JustRalph
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
We should rejoice that the Jockey Club folks are possessed of sufficient mental acumen to recongize the name "Sally Hemmings".:lol: :lol:

Those Jefferson relatives live here in Columbus. They are pretty vocal about it from what I have been told. They are still lobbying to have a place in the Jefferson burial ground..........hell I don't even know where that is? Is that at Monticello?

Tom
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
How about Salty Hammings?

Hams are salty!

:bang:

Bobby
06-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I have never heard a more appropriate name for a horse out of "Jefferson's Secret" absolutely perfect.............

Yea, I know. Its a perfect name for the filly. the only logical extension! :D

they didn't have a problem with Louey Q or Buddha or Buddy Gill or countless others. So Why here? B/C anything racial is taboo. I don't see it as taboo though. Imagine two blacks or two whites or two purples and its fine. MonicaLovesBill is fine.

Its the political correctness BS.

===
yea, on that plot at Monticello. Do you think Monica's gonna be buried by Bill. Or Strom thurmonds illegitmate relatives gonna be buried by him? Get real.

Doc
06-02-2005, 10:25 AM
When I first read about this, I thought: Wow, what a great name! It fits the pedigree perfectly. And then when I read that the Jockey Club had rejected it, I marveled that there were people who worked there that actually knew who Sally Hemmings was. If you look through the online names database (you can view it through equineline.com) there are many, many borderline names which somehow made it through the censors. I'd never heard of Sally Hemmings before, and I'm pretty sure if the name had gone through it wouldn't have offended a large segment of the handicapping society, many of whom probably don't know who Miss Sally was.

By the way, one recent name that DID make it through the censors which I personally objected to was POLACK. I happen to be of the Polish persuasion...it's just like naming a horse "Spic" or "Jap" or "Chink."

JustRalph
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
it's just like naming a horse "Spic" or "Jap" or "Chink."

I would love to hear that race call! :lol:

lsbets
06-02-2005, 11:19 AM
I think 99% of the people out there would have no idea what the reference in the name meant. I think its great and they should keep it Colonial Affair - Jefferson's Secret - what name could be more fitting?

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
I just found these names currently on the registry-

Clinton's Chelsea
Hitler
Iraqi Freedom
Bushes Victory
Bush Landslide
Tricky Dick.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM

I don't own horses, but would love to have one named "Monica's BlueDress."

That way when it runs down the stretch, we could all yell, "Come On Monica's Blue Dress! Come On Monica's Blue Dress!". ;) :eek: :lol:

Okay, that was a few years ago, but I'm over it. Really. :lol:

JustRalph
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't own horses, but would love to have one named "Monica's BlueDress."

That way when it runs down the stretch, we could all yell, "Come On Monica's Blue Dress! Come On Monica's Blue Dress!". ;) :eek: :lol:

Okay, that was a few years ago, but I'm over it. Really. :lol:

reminds me of the current thread on here, titled

"Deep Throat Comes Forward" or something like that................

is there any other way?

Doc
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
A horse named "Hitler"??!! Come on, those clowns at the Jockey Club don't have a damn clue what they're doing. How the hell did this one "slip" through?

Suff
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Racehorse dies after being struck by lightning
June 1, 2005

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A 6-year-old racehorse named Rain, Hail or Shine died in its paddock Wednesday after being struck by lightning, its trainer said.

Ralph Manning, who trained the horse to two wins and five placings from 24 starts, said he found the horse dead after a thunderstorm.

"I've never heard of it happening before," he said. "But it must have hit us pretty hard. The electric fencing had melted against the wall."

Waterhouse, a horse which shared the paddock with Rain, Hail or Shine, was unscathed and celebrated its good fortune by running second at a North Island race meeting later Wednesday.

CryingForTheHorses
06-02-2005, 06:23 PM

That being said.............the Jockey club has a point in some ways. But legally I think the owner has some good standing on his claim of arbitrary application of the rules..........on a first amend. claim.......he might have a shot of winning.

If this guy is to name this Horse Sally Hemmings then I would think he would need permission from the "original" Sally to do this..They had a stake horse in Canada back in the 80's called Fozzie Bear..The horse ran with this name until the Jim Henson people found out..They had to change his name even after he had won them races under Fozzie Bear.
I cant see other then that why the Jockey Club wont allow it.

breakage
06-02-2005, 10:54 PM
If this guy is to name this Horse Sally Hemmings then I would think he would need permission from the "original" Sally to do this.
:D Yep, I just don't understand why he didn't go down to his local Jiffy Rentals and rent one of those new fangled time travlin machines and go back in time and ask her. I mean, how hard would that have been?

highnote
06-02-2005, 11:34 PM
My personal favorite is "Cunning Stunt". That was a real name -- no kidding.

"Tobasco Cat" was named after the sauce, but the company granted them permission to use the name -- probably because he was a Grade 1 horse -- lots of free publicity.

If Fozzie Bear was entered in the KY Derby, Henson's people may have allowed the name to stick.

kenwoodallpromos
06-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Why is that name on the registry currently? Different spelling?

Observer
06-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Regarding Suff's post of the horse being hit by lightning .. apparently .. the horse who played Phar Lap (in the movie Phar Lap) died after being struck by lightning .. it's my understanding Phar Lap means lightning. .. By the way .. the horse who played Phar Lap was named Towering Inferno .. he died at age 26.

Doc
06-03-2005, 08:32 AM
I guess the classic risque name of all time has to be "Mortarforker." This was an actual name of a horse that ran a few times before it was changed by the Jockey Club...the track announcer had a field day with the pronunciation, as I recall. :eek:

CryingForTheHorses
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM
:D Yep, I just don't understand why he didn't go down to his local Jiffy Rentals and rent one of those new fangled time travlin machines and go back in time and ask her. I mean, how hard would that have been?

LMAO...I dont even know who this woman is...I guess from your post she is dead...Who is she???

highnote
06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
This is a little off the topic - but do you remember the horse "Flat Fleet Feet"?

I don't think I ever heard an announcer get his name right.

GeTydOn
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
They refuse that name but let others slip by??
:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

JustRalph
06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
LMAO...I dont even know who this woman is...I guess from your post she is dead...Who is she???

Here she is.....................she was on All in the Family.......

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/703/14549allinthefamilymikeandgloria.jpg

CryingForTheHorses
06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Here she is.....................she was on All in the Family.......

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/703/14549allinthefamilymikeandgloria.jpg

Isnt that Sally Struthers or Gloria on All In Family?

highnote
06-03-2005, 09:09 PM

Nope. That's Meathead.

breakage
06-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Yep, Sally Hemmings just used Struthers as a stage name as she felt (as many actors and actresses do) that her original name just didn't have that hollywood ring to it. ;)

kingfin66
06-04-2005, 01:31 AM

Steve 'StatMan'
06-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Heh Heh!

Okay. For those that don't know, and here is how I understand it, and I think large public knowledge of this only occured within the last decade or so: Thomas Jefferson, (U.S. Declaration of Independence, 3rd U.S. President) was a slaveholder. He appearently had an affair with one of his slaves, Sally Hemmings, and had children with her. Obviously both TJ and Sally are long gone, but there are living Jefferson decendents from his marriage and now his mistress as well. The Jockey Club is baring the use of the mistress, Sally Hemmings, name.

Okay. One last substitute name: Allysay Emmingshay

KingChas
06-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Nope. That's Meathead.

:lol: :lol: :lol: With Sally.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their dad is just named Ralph.................. :lol: :lol: