PDA

View Full Version : Mullins & Jay Hovdey are sleeping together?

Suff
06-01-2005, 02:14 PM
This is what George Bush asked Newsweek to do after the Koran debacle.

Write a "puff piece"?.

Just 24 hours earlier, the Mullins outfit was shaken by the death of All the Boys, an 8-year-old gelding who had hauled the mail for four different trainers from coast to coast through a career of 33 starts. Since last February, All the Boys had called the Mullins barn home, winning two of three starts.

"The worst thing about it," Mullins said, "he'd become the stable pet."

Big mistake, getting attached to the old battlers, especially when they are owned by action guys like Robert Bone, one of the Mullins stable stalwarts, who had claimed All the Boys for $50,000.

Strangest thing, though. All the Boys was no longer Mullins's business, and he knew it. The horse had been claimed - clients represented by trainer Gary Mandella won a bitter shake - but there was Mullins anyway, holding All the Boys and stroking his neck while the ambulance backed into place
http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=65481

Its nice to have friends in high places. An 8 year old gelding that Mullins trained. For how long? Three months! He's the new "stable pet"?
Hovdey uses's it as PR machine for Mullins tattered persona

Suff note: The other bum mentioned in the story... The owner ,Robert Bones? He's the guy that gave Santa Anita racing fans the finger! :ThmbDown: (from the safety of the Paddock) when they were heckling Mullins two days after he called them Idiots to an LA Times Reporter.

Jay Hovdey (DRF) does a Mother Thersea piece here.. I wonder what he got? Perhaps the surgery schedule from Mullins Vet? :rolleyes:

Jay...

Mullins admitted he don't gamble, therefore he don't buy the DRF. Horse "players" do.

Suff
06-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Jay...

forget it. Propaganda brings out the worst in me. Where do you get an honest reporter nowadays? They're all with the "corporation"

cj
06-01-2005, 02:33 PM
I read the article this morning at work, almost tossed my pop tarts, what a joke.

Suff
06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm all good in the hood.

for Mullins: Dues is dues....gotta pay. Big boys, big rules.

for Hovdey: Why? Its not news worthy and its so blatantly a SUCK UP PIECE it borders on a Mullin's Press Release.

Zman179
06-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Realistically, I'm sure that Mullins could care less what the fans think about him regardless of the piece printed.

And for Suff: NEVER, NEVER confuse the DRF with objective journalism. You'll need to buy a real newspaper for that.

Suff
06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Realistically, I'm sure that Mullins could care less what the fans think about him regardless of the piece printed.

And for Suff: NEVER, NEVER confuse the DRF with objective journalism. You'll need to buy a real newspaper for that.

true and true.

Suff
06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
How is Mullins involved in a bitter shake? Was that a bitter milkshake that killed the horse?

When more than one Barn is trying to Claim a Horse, they shake the Pill Box and pull a Name. Thats who gets it. There must of been some "shenanigans" that got the people heated.

News out of Southern California is that there are 3+ barns claiming the last of the good horses left. Everytime one of them shows up in a race the world is very small there.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
What's the big deal? Why can't someone report on another side to the guy? Does everything that is reported have to be gloom and doom for you whack jobs? (And I use the term "whack jobs" in the kindest way)

We've all read about the bad and the ugly about Mullins for quite some time now. What's a little equal time? I don't see the problem. At least this article was a bit interesting, and not a freakin rehash of the same ol' shit about Mullins and company.

Sometimes I wonder about you people....I really do....

Suff
06-01-2005, 03:47 PM
What's the big deal? Why can't someone report on another side to the guy? Does everything that is reported have to be gloom and doom for you whack jobs? (And I use the term "whack jobs" in the kindest way)

Pipe Down Storm Trooper.

cj
06-01-2005, 03:51 PM

Yeah, this ain't about NYRA, go mind your own business! :lol:

Zman179
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM

We've all read about the bad and the ugly about Mullins for quite some time now. What's a little equal time? I don't see the problem. At least this article was a bit interesting, and not a freakin rehash of the same ol' shit about Mullins and company.

Gloom & doom makes for livelier debate, you numbskull (and I use "numbskull" in the kindest way") :lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 04:27 PM
This isn't lively enough for you?

Suff
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
This isn't lively enough for you?

PA...

I get you. ... No one likes a crank. Finding fault with everything. Gotcha. I agree. But this group , the SoCal group, these "insular" guys,,, Including Hovdey....are not out of the woods with me.

Sure they could care less.... They're ringing the cash register. They'll only ask me a ?? when they're broke. Thats how these muffs operate.

I'm just watching...and keeping an eye on the headlights. I see this piece as "damage control" for SoCal racing. Mullins in particular.

I don't want --Mary had a little lamb,--- My porridge is to cold,---- articles in the DRF. I can go to the WWW sites of the Barns if I want the Koolaid.

I don't buy the DRF to fund the Public Relations Dept of the CHRB, or the Jeff Mullins barn.

Zman179
06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't want --Mary had a little lamb,--- My porridge is to cold,---- articles in the DRF. I can go to the WWW sites of the Barns if I want the Koolaid.

I don't buy the DRF to fund the Public Relations Dept of the CHRB, or the Jeff Mullins barn.

Well that's what you get with DRF. It's considered a trade paper and trade papers simply do not report against what they usually cover. You will never read an exclusive scoop in the DRF that could tarnish racing, they'll only report about it after the fact.
After all, if racing becomes tarnished, then fewer people will go to the races, which means fewer people will want to buy the DRF, which means fewer revenues for DRF. And DRF's parent company does NOT want to hear about that.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Jeff Mullins doesn't seem, to me at least, to be the kind of guy that needs puff pieces written about him. He's content to thumb his nose at the fans and/or the industry, and keep on going.

What the hell does he need Hovdey to write a puff piece about him for? Are owners leaving him in droves? He just won the Grade 1 Shoemaker with Castledale over the weekend, on the turf. I doubt he's crying himself to sleep at night....

Suff
06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Jeff Mullins doesn't seem, to me at least, to be the kind of guy that needs puff pieces written about him. He's content to thumb his nose at the fans and/or the industry, and keep on going.

What the hell does he need Hovdey to write a puff piece about him for? Are owners leaving him in droves? He just won the Grade 1 Shoemaker with Castledale over the weekend, on the turf. I doubt he's crying himself to sleep at night....

I mentiond they are ringing the cash register and could care less beyond that!

You are saying that Socal racing? the CHRB and Jeff Mullins don't read the press? Don't care what the press says? and don't get intrinsic benefits from Puff Pieces? I diagree with that. The reaction to TJ Siemers LA Times Piece backs me up..
Further.... call my cynical...call me a crank....but no one can convince me that this piece is not targeted. Targeted at Mullins, for Mullins, for the CHRB, for racing and inevitbaly for the DRF.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Maybe so. But again I say, so what?

JustRalph
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
This is turning out to be a weird ass week.............

I find myself in agreement with Suff on this one.........

I also lost money last weekend for the first time in a while.........

What the hell is next..............I might have to take the next couple of days off

CryingForTheHorses
06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I cant believe you guys!!!
The hell with Mullins,YOU as the bettor lost another horse you could have bet on..sad part of this business.

Dancer's Image
06-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Where to begin? Well, here's the condensed version. Suff, you're an idiot!
The unabridged version:
1st, you post a link that doesn't work unless you're a subscriber, so why bother? You did post an excerpt of the story, for those who want to read the whole article, it's posted at the Delmar Fan Forum, under "All the Boys", the name of the horse who was euthanized on Saturday. I read the whole story this morning, and liked it so much that I passed it on to several friends who have objective minds about horseracing.
2nd, you will never be included in either group, objective or friends, as you repeat the same lie that has debunked over and over, ie. that Mullins called all horseplayers idiots. Mullins told Simers that if you lose at the track everyday, and continue to come back, then you are either an idiot or an addict. That is quite different than calling all horseplayers idiots!
3rd, the proof of this is the loyalty and support Mullins' owners have shown him. According to the DRF article, it was actually Mullins' owner Michael Conboy who was involved in the finger incident, but Bone would probably do the same thing. Also Mullins' owner Frank Lyons has been supportive of Mullins. If Mullins had indeed called all horseplayers, "IDIOTS", these three would not have been supportive as they are 3 of the bigger bettors out there.
4th, Mullins is not a member of the good ole boy network in SoCal. He's a relative newcomer from AZ, and has endured plenty of criticism from the established powers there in SoCal, so like PA says, Hovdey's fair and truthful article is equal time, sorta like FOX News, fair and balanced.
WTF is this world coming to? I'm agreeing with PA.

Suff
06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE]Where to begin? Well, here's the condensed version. Suff, you're an idiot!
The unabridged version:
1st, you post a link that doesn't work unless you're a subscriber, so why bother? You did post an excerpt of the story, for those who want to read the whole article, it's posted at the Delmar Fan Forum, under "All the Boys", the name of the horse who was euthanized on Saturday

Tell me about. I led the fire brigade here when DRF went to mandatory log-in to read the news. Where were you? I locked horns with Marc A. over it. (for the 10th time). So sorry disapoint you on the link. However, PA does not allow copy righted material at length. So I'm handcuffed.

Also, I believe the colunist were/are always for paid members. As I have been for many years, to the print and electronic editions. So if it is up in its entirety on the Del-Mar board, then you have a cozy relationship with DRF or your in serious violation of not only thier users agreement, but copyright violations. Just an FYI. I could care less, I only act right because PA makes me.

. I read the whole story this morning, and liked it so much that I passed it on to several friends who have objective minds about horseracing.
2nd, you will never be included in either group, objective or friends, as you repeat the same lie that has debunked over and over, ie. that Mullins called all horseplayers idiots. Mullins told Simers that if you lose at the track everyday, and continue to come back, then you are either an idiot or an addict. That is quite different than calling all horseplayers idiots!

Your flat out wrong. I spokewith CHRB, I emailed Simers. I read many accounts and last but not least I HEARD Simers do two interviews. one at length on the radio. It was not just One sentence that can be twisted in any direction. He was in a heated arguement. Simers recalled it in detail back and forth. Simers broke the law first. He brought his Personal Betting Loss to the backside. He Bitched at Mullins about not knowing about the surgery on a longshot that Nixed his PICK6 ticket. One he plays in memory of his DAD.

So he F'd up first. He's on the backside as PRESS, he should'nt bitching at trainers. But still. Mullins slammed us guys out front betting. Mullins went on and on about how the PUBLIC has no right to know. Also, its the "privledge" of the backside to withhold information. It was not one sentence. . He seperated himself from the FRONTSIDE in a HUGE WAY!.
He looked down his nose at us. Period. Mince words all you want.

3rd, the proof of this is the loyalty and support Mullins' owners have shown him. According to the DRF article, it was actually Mullins' owner Michael Conboy who was involved in the finger incident, but Bone would probably do the same thing. Also Mullins' owner Frank Lyons has been supportive of Mullins.

That same kind of loyalty got Ken Ramsey the Eclipse Award. You call it Loyalty. I call it Status Quo. Not good enough. For me.

Dancer's Image
06-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Tell me about. I led the fire brigade here when DRF went to mandatory log-in to read the news. Where were you? I locked horns with Marc A. over it. (for the 10th time). So sorry disapoint you on the link. However, PA does not allow copy righted material at length. So I'm handcuffed.

Also, I believe the colunist were/are always for paid members. As I have been for many years, to the print and electronic editions. So if it is up in its entirety on the Del-Mar board, then you have a cozy relationship with DRF or your in serious violation of not only thier users agreement, but copyright violations. Just an FYI. I could care less, I only act right because PA makes me.[unquote]

(Where was I? I believe that was during the time when I couldn't post here, for technical reasons which neither I nor PA could understand. I do remember reading about it and if I could have posted I would have been on Marc from DRF's side, as I find it incredible that someone could complain about giving DRF 4 lines of personal information in order to read their daily free information.
The only thing handcuffing you is your lack of logic and reasoning ability. I complained to you for posting a link that doesn't work unless you are a subscriber, I asked, Why bother? You completely ignored this and instead launched into a diatribe about me either having a cozy relationship with DRF, or me being in serious violation of their user's agreement and copyright laws. I didn't post the story at DMFF, I just read it there. You're the one violating copyright laws, and you know it, as you said, "I believe the colunist (sp) were/are always for paid members. But gee, I'm mightily impressed that you have been a paid member for both the print and electronic versions for years!)

Your flat out wrong. I spokewith CHRB, I emailed Simers. I read many accounts and last but not least I HEARD Simers do two interviews. one at length on the radio. It was not just One sentence that can be twisted in any direction. He was in a heated arguement. Simers recalled it in detail back and forth. Simers broke the law first. He brought his Personal Betting Loss to the backside. He Bitched at Mullins about not knowing about the surgery on a longshot that Nixed his PICK6 ticket. One he plays in memory of his DAD.

So he F'd up first. He's on the backside as PRESS, he should'nt bitching at trainers. But still. Mullins slammed us guys out front betting. Mullins went on and on about how the PUBLIC has no right to know. Also, its the "privledge" of the backside to withhold information. It was not one sentence. . He seperated himself from the FRONTSIDE in a HUGE WAY!.
He looked down his nose at us. Period. Mince words all you want.

That same kind of loyalty got Ken Ramsey the Eclipse Award. You call it Loyalty. I call it Status Quo. Not good enough. For me.

No, I'm absolutely and unequivocally correct! You talked to CHRB...big deal, how would they know what was said between Simers and Mullins? You listened to Simers; that is only one side of the story. I told you what Mullins said about it both in print and on the TVG interview. The proof is that if Mullins called all bettors "idiots", then his owners would not be supportive of him, because his owners are some of the biggest bettors around. You can believe Simers if you want, but it makes no sense for Mullins to call all bettors idiots, and it makes perfect sense to say as he (Mullins) claims, "That if you lose at the track everyday and continue to bet, then you are either an idiot or an addict."
You may not like it, but Mullins is absolutely correct when he states the obvious, ie. the PUBLIC does not have any right to PRIVILEGED information on the backstretch. You are truly an idiot if you thought you did have the right to all the privileged information on the backstretch.

Suff
06-01-2005, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE]No, I'm absolutely and unequivocally correct! You talked to CHRB...big deal, how would they know what was said between Simers and Mullins?

I mentioned the CHRB to show , I did'nt read a 3 paragraph story and land on a spot. I worked at it.

You listened to Simers; that is only one side of the story.

I know. I heard both sides. I put blame on Both Sides.

I told you what Mullins said about it both in print and on the TVG interview. The proof is that if Mullins called all bettors "idiots", then his owners would not be supportive of him, because his owners are some of the biggest bettors around.

Your supposing? I'm not.

That if you lose at the track everyday and continue to bet, then you are either an idiot or an addict."

Your not a Gambler are you? That description fits the enthusiast , the hobbyist, and the rank and file attendance at most tracks.

You may not like it, but Mullins is absolutely correct when he states the obvious, ie. the PUBLIC does not have any right to PRIVILEGED information on the backstretch. You are truly an idiot if you thought you did have the right to all the privileged information on the backstretch.

No I don't like it. Thats what I said.

I'm not arguing That issue really. I have my mind made up. Its really no major event. Mullins guy got mad and spouted off, bit the hand that feeds him.

Training Information

Gamblers don't want to get into the Barns. We'll settle for honest look at the excercise track in the morning. Horse's don't report in, Horse's work in company, Horse's work with equipment changes.... That's not a deep incision.

I applaud Mullins for what he did. But again, What he did is done by Asst. Starters, Outriders, and groundskeepers everyday. Mullins was at the Horses side in the right way. I don't find him virtious because he KNEW THE HORSE WAS CLAIMED and did it anyway? Thats funny. Whats going on out there? It's like the Hatfields & Mcoys? California got so unhappy that, that the only bits left are in others mis-fortune.

breakage
06-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Your not a Gambler are you? That description fits the enthusiast , the hobbyist, and the rank and file attendance at most tracks.

:D Yep
I'm sure Dancer's Image is correct in that Mullins only meant the consistent losers were the idiots and not the rest. :liar:

chrisg
06-02-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm an idiot for getting in on this, but...

1) I think California racing cares far more about appearances then it does the integrity of the sport/business there.

2) Unless Mullins requested to be interviewed about the dead horse and to criticize horseplayers, I don't get the gripe w/him about the press.

3) When generalizing about horseplayers that they're either addicts or idiots, that seems pretty accurate to me.

I'll shut up & wait to destroyed.

breakage
06-02-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm an idiot for getting in on this

3) When generalizing about horseplayers that they're either addicts or idiots, that seems pretty accurate to me.

I'll shut up
Your first and last instincts were your best.

cj
06-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Just a couple things...

I wasn't complaining about Mullins at all, I was griping about the writer. You have to either buy the form or be a paid subscriber to read the article online, or just steal it as they did at the other forum. I don't want to pay to read crappy little fluff pieces. If that is the best Mr. Krone can do, he needs to get out more.

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2005, 04:16 AM
It's one article.....even Hemingway had his off days....cut the guy some slack...LOL

Dancer's Image
06-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Just a couple of things...

I agree I wouldn't pay to read this Hovdey article.
But one person's crappy little fluff piece is another person's bright, uplifting, inside look at the sport we all say we love. I would rather be the latter. I'm glad the former is in Belgium, I'm gonna recommend you for doctor assisted euthanasia, put you out of your misery!

cj
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
You can keep your psycho analysis to yourself, I'm doing just fine. I enjoy a decent article as much as the next guy, even the feel good type. This one just didn't seem right, that is all.

Suff
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I went to Bat for Mullins a little bit when that all went down.

I'm a hot head... I'm a big mouth, I'm opinionated....so I know how easy it is to stub one's toe when shit goes down. I do give him a wide bearth on it.

I did'nt so much REHASH the Mullins/Simer story as I pointed out Hovdey hurting his back, bending over backwards for Mullins in the story.

Lets not Forget.. That the CHRB did Charge Mullins with a Violation (later Dismissed) and the CHRB did write a Public letter (DRF letter to editor I believe) denouncing Mullins. Not just for what went down with Simers but the tirade he went days later. Thats where he accused the CHRB to be corrupt, and he took on people by name. He painted a picture of mass conspiracy against him. This thing went on for two weeks or more.

Don't forget , that all the while he had Multiple Milkshake violations and his winning % dropped off a cliff.

What I said with respect to Hovdeys piece was that it was A Cleanup of Mullins Tattered Persona. Perception being reality, it does not matter what Mullins said to SIMERS. Only reality matters....and Mullins name is MUD, in many people's mind. Hovdey went to work on that. imho.

Dancer's Image
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Suff,
There you go again! I agree with you, you're an opinionated big mouth(gee, sounds like someone else I know intimately). But try to base your opinion on the facts! Mullins did NOT have multiple milkshake violations; he had multiple horses with elevated TCO2 levels. That is 2 very different things; all horses given milkshakes will have elevated TCO2 levels, but not all horses with elevated TCO2 levels will have been given milkshakes!
And let's not forget, Mullins was correct in his conspiracy allegations! The CHRB charged him with a violation when they didn't have any evidence to base their violation on...that's why it was dropped. There were people in the CHRB, including chief executive Ingrid Fermin, and in SoCal racing, like Laura DeSeroux, who spoke against Mullins without knowing the facts. That by definition is a conspiracy!
So even if Hovdey was trying to cleanup Mullins' tattered persona (a point I'm not conceding), it would be the right thing to do in all fairness.
Now, if there was something erroneous written by Hovdey in the article, that would be different. But to complain about Hovdey writing something nice about Mullins is unfair on your part! But you are entitled to your opinion, even though that opinion is not based on the facts!

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2005, 01:04 PM
"Lets not Forget.. That the CHRB did Charge Mullins with a Violation (later Dismissed) and the CHRB did write a Public letter (DRF letter to editor I believe) denouncing Mullins. Not just for what went down with Simers but the tirade he went days later. Thats where he accused the CHRB to be corrupt, and he took on people by name."
According to reports, Mullins' corruption allegations were not part of the complaint. Why not? They would just have to prove him wrong! :blush:
This thread is just the latest example of people in racing shooting their pastime in the foot- "I do not like fluff pieces". All one has to do is look at racing cannabalizing itself to understand why it does not have real "fans" but only people into it for money.

Suff
06-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Suff,

And let's not forget, Mullins was correct in his conspiracy allegations! The CHRB charged him with a violation when they didn't have any evidence to base their violation on...that's why it was dropped. There were people in the CHRB, including chief executive Ingrid Fermin, and in SoCal racing, like Laura DeSeroux, who spoke against Mullins without knowing the facts. That by definition is a conspiracy!
!

You want to argue? You said yourself that Mullins said what he said. Matter fact you agree with him. After I told you what segment of the players he insulted you got off that. Your also look down your nose at Gamblers. Its in your tone. I disregard your point because you have no repspect for teh people who pay the bills. Gamblers. Most of whom, attend the race track and incur net loss's frequently, and inevitably, always. But your ok with calling them addict or idiots. Thats fine with you. People who attend a NFL game incur net loss's as well. I suppose they're idiots too.

The California Horse Racing Board yesterday formally withdrew complaints against trainer Julio Canani in the Sweet Catomine/Santa Anita Derby controversy and trainer Jeff Mullins in an unrelated matter.

A CHRB news release stated that the cases were being abandoned because of insufficient supporting evidence in conjunction with new internal CHRB procedures "requiring more input from the California attorney general's office in the investigative process."

The charges were dismissed AFTER he was charged because they changed the rule. Had the rule not been changed the charges would have gone forward.

additionally they charged him with the the wrong rule.
Rule 1902 describes conduct detrimental to racing. The key word is conduct.

Mullins attorney argued that Press statements are "not" conduct. Sort of like what the defination of "is" is.

That is 2 very different things; all horses given milkshakes will have elevated TCO2 levels, but not all horses with elevated TCO2 levels will have been given milkshakes

Motion denied. Mullins milkshaked. Next witness. Your like the Guys who pee dirty for Heroin , then try and tell thier Probabtion officer they ate 3 poppy bagels for breakfast.

The problem, Mullins said, "are all the addicts and idiots crying because they lost a $2 bet," and then demanding a level playing field. "It will never be a level playing field. There are a lot of things people don't know, and won't know."

I interrupted to suggest it's not fair for the members of the general public who pay $4 for parking, $5 for admission, $2 for a program, $4 for the Daily Racing Form and who think that, with a little work, they might figure out who is going to win a race. The same idiots, of course, who bet money, which accounts for the purses won by Mullins' horses.

"If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot," said Mullins, who finished 11th nationally last year in money earned in horse racing. "I don't bet; there's a reason they call it gambling.

"I train to win and that's all I care about. "It's not my problem if the general public is deceived". They ought to bring in slot machines, then we could run our horses and make a living without worrying about some crybaby calling the stewards and raising a fit."

Suff
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
You started calling me an idiot... then you question CJ mental status.

Its clear you want a fight....throw in that you don't gamble, and your bias'd , makes for a poor discussion.

You seemed to brag that the article in its entirety is on the DelMar Board... You glossed over that violation. Your not up on that stuff...You have no DRF account, paid or free. You are not aware of Users agreements and copyright laws. You mentioned the article was up at DMTC with a sense of pride? lol. Really. Listen... Get a free DRF account, better yet buy one. If anything, I have a right to be Critical of Hovdey because I pay to read him. You don't.

This is how I talk horses. I don't do Fulcrum x EP & E1 , + P1, add in the turn time, subtract the internals, run it through the database, throw in the Pars and out comes Horse racing. Thats not how I do it.

I discuss Horse racing. The horse's, the jockeys, the pundits, the backside , the races and the results. Thats what I do. This is how I do it.

Its a discussion....on Horse racing. For Gamblers.

Suff
06-02-2005, 02:24 PM
At the Kentucky Derby 5 weeks ago.....Mullins gave an interview to TVG
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050506/SPORTS08/505060477/1037/SPORTS08

Judging from trainer Jeff Mullins' March comments about thoroughbred bettors, the Kentucky Derby might well be the biggest collection of idiots and addicts in the nation.
Mullins caught some heat for his remarks to Los Angeles Times columnist T.J. Simers, in which he said horse racing's problems "are all the addicts and idiots crying because they lost a $2 bet."

Mullins later apologized, noting that some of his best friends (and employers) are thoroughbred gamblers. He said in an interview on the TVG
television network, "If I could take these things back I would

Question for Dancers Image... Whats he taking back? He said nothing according to you.

I have difficulty putting Mullins in the Victim catergory as you suggest. A victim of some conspiracy by the CHRB? Unlikley. One of Mullins big owners Is Bill Bianco who owns Buzzards Bay. Mr Bianco is on the CHRB. I know Mullins isn't a victim. He's a violator.

Good night.

cj
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Suff,
So even if Hovdey was trying to cleanup Mullins' tattered persona (a point I'm not conceding), it would be the right thing to do in all fairness.

If you want to cheerlead for cheaters like Mullins, be my guest. And I'll keep betting he's a cheater, and winning money, even without proof! If you honestly don't think his reputation should be tattered, take the blinkers off.

Suff
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Do I think Simers is a "twit" ? Yes... I do. Like I said, He baited Mullins, then cornered him. Started off the record as a bitch session about his losing tickets. then when Mullins got hot, Simers whipped out his Notebook. Then when Mullins disagreed with him, Simers used his PULPIT at the LA Times to embarass Mullins. Thats wrong. I don't care for Simers. He Strikes me as a lil snake...

With that said...... Its OK that Mullins took one in the Canolies. That has a ripple effect that everybody needs to be careful what they say

Also it brought the "right to know" arguement to the forefront. As did the Sweet Catomine incident.

Mullins mess'd up. He got back 10 times more than he had coming... but so what? Thats the price of fame & success.

Regarding Hovdey piece. In Baseball its called a "purpose pitch". I do not believe it is a concidence that Hovdey wrote it, nor wrote it the way he did.

Suff
06-02-2005, 03:01 PM

I'll shut up & wait to destroyed.

By who? me? I hope not. Me and you are me and you ! no? I always Tip you when you Namesake "who is ChrisG" is running! :jump:

Seriously, I'd be disappointed if you honestly felt you could'nt contribute to a discussion without getting your head chopped off. Even more disappointed if it was me that gave you that feeling.

chrisg
06-02-2005, 03:21 PM
By who? me? I hope not. Me and you are me and you ! no? I always Tip you when you Namesake "who is ChrisG" is running! :jump:

Seriously, I'd be disappointed if you honestly felt you could'nt contribute to a discussion without getting your head chopped off. Even more disappointed if it was me that gave you that feeling.

No Suff I didn't mean you...didn't mean to imply it either. All's good man. :)

I know if you disagreed w/me, you'd be straight up about it.

My reference was to a few guys who genuinely don't like me; they know who they are. I guess I push some buttons.

Hey, whatever happened to Who is ChrisG?

Suff
06-02-2005, 04:01 PM

My reference was to a few guys who genuinely don't like me; they know who they are. I guess I push some buttons.

[/B]?

Really? I never picked up on that. I don't read every thread. It's news to me that you have personal adversaries. I don't know. You never struck me as an instigator, or navigator towards trouble. I do...but thats me.

These message boards, as interesting as they can be, and as much as they are a 21st century social outlet, do require the ability to take it all in with a grain of salt. I'm sure you do.

WHO IS CHRIS G. ran third over the winter of 2004 against cheaper claimers at Calder after shipping down from the northeast. He was at one time, running in GRD3 company. (the Nashau at Aqueduct). Two weeks ago he ran third in the third race at Suffolk Downs. 10K claimer, 9K Purse.

Dancer's Image
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
My, my, Suff, you've been a busy boy since I've been gone. Let me try to answer your posts. First you asked this question...."Question for Dancers Image... Whats he taking back? He said nothing according to you.".... I already answered that in my initial post (#20) in this thread, but let me reiterate...Simers was whining to Mullins about losing his pick-6 bet because he did not know about a horse having surgery. Simers was advocating that all this backside information must be disseminated to the public before a race. Mullins was arguing that that would never be possible; for one thing the daily racing form would be 2000 pages long everyday and for another thing who would police such a policy? It would be impossible. And Simers came back to Mullins with the remark, words to the effect, "Well, you've got to give me something; I can't keep coming to the track and losing everyday." To which Mullins responded, "If you come to track and lose everyday, you're either an idiot or an addict." And yes, I do agree with Mullins on that statement....does anyone disagree?
Now, I think that original interview with Simers was before the SA derby (4/9). The Louisville CJ article which you posted is dated, friday, 5/6 and the author makes the same mistake which you did, ie. he uses Simers misquote of Mullins. I know the TVG interview with Mullins was done on a thursday or friday at Mullins' home in Calif, and I know it aired on TVG on a Sunday because I watched it; I believe it was 5/1, but it could have been 4/24. Like I say, I watched the TVG interview with Mullins, and although he is not a polished public speaker, he was unquestionably, contrite. I remember Ken Rudolph was the host on TVG that day and he said the same thing that I was thinking after they showed part 1 of the Mullins interview, ie. that Mullins seemed contrite. And yes, Mullins apologised to everyone who was offended by his remarks and wished that he could take them back. Mullins did say that he did not call all horseplayers, "idiots and addicts", making the same point that I'm making here, that some of his best friends and owners are bettors. I see no problem with this; Mullins apologised, it was not the time or place to get into a discussion about what Simers said versus what Mullins said.

J-bred
06-03-2005, 12:17 PM
The lesson here...
Don't tell a newspaper reporter anything you wouldn't announce to the world. They will lie and twist it around to serve their own purposes. It's funny how these reporters will blab to the world a statement that was not meant for public consumption for sensationalism's sake, but keep their lips zipped when they discover that a Sweet Catomine is in no condition to run in a major stakes race.

cj
06-03-2005, 12:18 PM
DI,

Are you a public defender? Of all people to defend, you choose this one? Keep those blinkers on.

Tom
06-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I just love to watch Suff work. (And not be on the other end of it!:eek: )

Fills that void Ali left when he retired. Float, sting....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

chrisg
06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
WHO IS CHRIS G. ran third over the winter of 2004 against cheaper claimers at Calder after shipping down from the northeast. He was at one time, running in GRD3 company. (the Nashau at Aqueduct). Two weeks ago he ran third in the third race at Suffolk Downs. 10K claimer, 9K Purse.

Thanks for the update. Too bad he isn't like me; maturing late. :)