PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Les Conklin ...PAYDAT AT THE RACES !

BeatTheChalk
05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
I have the book someplace .. and I may even have the " updated " version
around. Always got a kick out of his descriptions of his " little band of
handicappers . " and all of the yellow pads and racing forms. I will grab it
if the dust will allow.

Zaf
05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
I have the book but I have never read it. Looks a little outdated. Is there any useful information in it ?

ZAFONIC

BeatTheChalk
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
The book has some interesting ideas .. .. Written in the 50's when horses
ran a lot more than they do now. Les was very impressed with a GAIN OF
lengths and or positions in the stretch. In fact .. there was NO BET allowed
on any horse .. that lost ground in the stretch run. Overall I doubt if anyone
is going to use the selection methods in the book.

Zaf
06-03-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess the speed fade play is out :D

ZAFONIC

BMeadow
06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
From the Les Conklin Credibility Department:

In a book called Betting Horses To Win, he claimed he had a system which had 57 consecutive winners at an average price of 5-1.

I read Payday At The Races several centuries ago, although my copy has long since disappeared. I suppose that it never hurts to read anything on handicapping, good or bad--every piece of information and/or opinion goes into the giant mental file you need to play this game.

Overlay
06-04-2005, 01:02 AM
You're dating yourself, Barry! I recollect that Les Conklin's titles Payday at the Races and Betting Horses to Win, were among a series of paperback books on thoroughbred and harness race handicapping marketed (or re-marketed) by Wilshire Book Company, that were the very first references I ever bought on those subjects in 1977. They also included two titles by Bob McKnight (Eliminate the Losers, Pick the Winners, and How to Pick Winning Horses); How to Win at the Races by Sam (The Genius) Lewin; How You Can Beat the Races by Jack Kavanagh; Making Money at the Races by David Barr; Smart Handicapping Made Easy by William Bauman; Winning at the Harness Races by Nick Cammarano; and Success at the Harness Races (copyright 1967) by Barry Meadow. (Recall that one?) Brings back memories!

Zaf
06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
These titles are still available today ! I believe the Borders on Main Street in Saratoga has almost all of them. At least the last time I checked.

ZAFONIC