PDA

View Full Version : Deep Throat comes forward?

RXB
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050531.wdeept0531/BNStory/International/

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
"His daughter finally persuaded Mr. Felt to go public by saying that the story might help to pay for his grandchildren's education." I say Kissinger.

Suff
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
"His daughter finally persuaded Mr. Felt to go public by saying that the story might help to pay for his grandchildren's education." I say Kissinger.

its everywhere.. has been since noon. Everybodys biting. Its the story. Today , tommorrow,, -probably till Friday.

Brings back bad memorys. Nixon's administration wrote the RICO act. The very first piece of modern legislation dismantling the Bill of Rights.

They charge 16 year old kids with RICO acts nowadays. Thats why you can't give them an inch. Never!

RXB
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM

I disagree; I think this is for real. I think we finally know who Deep Throat is.

RXB
05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
And the Post has just confirmed it, apparently. Felt is Deep Throat.

RXB
05-31-2005, 05:51 PM
http://www.vanityfair.com/pdf/pressroom/advance1.pdf

Lasix1
05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
its everywhere.. has been since noon. Everybodys biting. Its the story. Today , tommorrow,, -probably till Friday.

Brings back bad memorys. Nixon's administration wrote the RICO act. The very first piece of modern legislation dismantling the Bill of Rights.

They charge 16 year old kids with RICO acts nowadays. Thats why you can't give them an inch. Never!
Right on, Suff. Every word, every comma, every exclamation point. If fascism is anyone's preferred form of government, RICO is the first law you write to enact it.

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 10:53 PM
"I know of only a handful of cases in the past 50 years that were not processed through DOJ: Nixon, Iran-Contra, and the Felt-Miller pardons in 1981 (they were 2 FBI officials who had authorized illegal surveillance of domestic terrorists - Reagan pardoned them almost immediately upon entering office even though his own Justice Department was still prosecuting their appeal)."
Another site says Mark Felt ordered the break-in of Vietnam protesters' offices.
If he was Deep Throat, I guess the only break-ins he liked was his own!LOL!
I still do not believe it!

kenwoodallpromos
05-31-2005, 10:56 PM
From Pitt-edu-:
"W. Mark Felt and Edward Miller (Reagan, 1981; clemency for authorizing FBI agents to break into Vietnam protestors' offices without warrants)".

RXB
06-01-2005, 01:19 AM
So, you now think that Woodward (and Bernstein and Bradlee) are lying?

I think there were probably other highly placed people who were also providing information directly to Woodward and Bernstein, or perhaps giving info to Felt that he passed along to the reporters, but I have no reason to believe that they would lie about Felt being Deep Throat.

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I just read the story. Felt's family took him to a lawyer/book agent and the Washington Post did not get to nreak the story! Felt has always denied, his family got him to say it to a lawyer AFTER he had full-blown Alzheimer's so the family could get rich off a book deal.
The story is that Nixon thought in 1972 that Felt was deep throat, but sent him champagne upon Felt's pardon! everone knows Nixon would never have forgiven the real deep throat.
Felt may have handed the papers to someone else, but he was not the Post contact.
The bigger question is, why would Woodward and Bernstein confirm the real deep throat prior to his death as soon as he gets Alzheimer's? I thought they do Everything to protect their sources and not break their word.
Vanity Fair uses the name VANITY for a reason! Everybody uses it to sell gossip.
As usual, the rest of the press fall for anything without really investigating.
Conflicting and phony stories is what the public falls for all the time.

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
"Felt suffered a mild stroke in 2001. His mental faculties began to deteriorate a bit."
So how scummyh are Wahington Post reporters?

RXB
06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Woodward said they wouldn't release Deep Throat's name until he died, OR until he came forward.

I find no reason to believe that Woodward, Bernstein and Bradlee would go to such lengths to protect the source for more than 30 years, and then suddenly (and completely) risk their professional reputations-- and the Post's reputation, too-- by giving full credence to an utter fabrication.

Lefty
06-01-2005, 07:27 PM
so deep throat a disgruntled F.B.I. man? Big deal; Linda Tripp had more hudspah!

Lefty
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
What 16 yr olds have been put away by RICO? I know the gangbangers should be, no matter what the age. I know RICO put away Gatti, but I guess you feel that's a bad thing. ..

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
It's Gotti.

Suff
06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
What 16 yr olds have been put away by RICO? I know the gangbangers should be, no matter what the age. I know RICO put away Gatti, but I guess you feel that's a bad thing. ..

Any man who gives an ounce of liberty for an ounce of freedom deserves niether.
Benjamin Franklin

A free society police's itself. Your not safer because you've given up privacy rights for actual or percieved safety. Your in worse danger.

They don't stop....

Tom
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
So what does everyone make of Deep Throat?

Hero?
Coward?
Disgruntled employee getting revedge?

Having lived thorugh that horrible perion and understanding what was going on, I tend to think this guy was a big coward, afraid to stand up and tell the truth, which might have made things a whole lot easier on the country. But at least he assisted in bringing down a corrupt liar and his administration.
OF all the Watergate crap Iever heard, nothing comes close to the drivel that Buchannan spouted out today. this guy must have been on LSD through the 70's to say the absolute BS he did. this guy is forever on my real life Ignore list for stupidity unbecoming a human being.
Nixon had only one person to blame for his troubles - Nixon. And the Viet Nam war was in no way related to the Watergate scandal - it was - again - Nixon and no one else. Some call him a great president, but I will never believe the world is not a better place without him. Burn is Hell, Tricky Dick. You deserve it.

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Considering B + W today said Felt was just confirming what 5 others were leaking, including someone else "high up in the White House", I think this guy was not the biggest contact as the other "5" gave then info originally. I think it is par for the course back then that the Govt including the FBI went out of their way to do stuff the wrong way; I think Felt was a criminal as he was convicted of his own break-in.
B + W said Felt has had bad dementia for years and that it was the daughter who really outed him. All from the Imus show.

Equineer
06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Kenwoodallpromos,

In 1972, Felt was Nixon's primary suspect as Deep Throat. John Dean was taped reporting to Nixon that Felt was in a unique position that provided access to the full scope of precisely what had been leaked to Woodward and Bernstein. It was Felt who rebuffed repeated demands from Dean and others at the White House to launch a witch hunt for FBI Watergate leaks. Also, this exchange between Nixon and Haldeman was on the notorious Nixon tapes...

"Is he Catholic?" Nixon asked. Told by Haldeman that Felt was Jewish, Nixon replied, "[Expletive], [the bureau] put a Jew in there?" To which Haldeman responded, "Well, that could explain it."

As a postscript... Felt was neither Catholic nor Jewish.

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
So why did Nixon testify in Felt's favor at Felt's trial?

Equineer
06-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Kenwoodallpromos,

Felt and Miller were charged with authorizing illegal no-warrant searches of anti-Vietnam War bombing suspects from the radical Weather Underground organization. The defense for Felt and Miller offered evidence that they were merely following orders. Since Nixon was the President who ordered these investigations, he testified that the FBI Director and his deputies had direct authorization from the White House to order break-ins in the interest of national security. What else could Nixon really say, given the evidence presented by the defense team for Felt and Miller?

However, Felt and Miller were convicted because there was no legal basis that compelled the FBI to circumvent the law just because the White House authorized them to do it.

Ultimately, Reagan pardoned Felt on the grounds that he had "acted on high principle" to bring an end to the terrorism threatening the nation. This pardon also had no legal basis, but it was a popular executive decision at the time.